diy solar

diy solar

Grid-Scale Battery Storage

Joondeka

Hello everyone,

I'm going to learn about grid-scale battery storage in stationary application. i.e., integration between batteries, solar panel system, inverters and grid connection.

The first question is for communication of these components if we use Modbus or CANbus connection?

I appreciate you in advance for helping.

Grid-scale storage probably shouldn’t concern itself with solar, but I suppose it could if you are making a microgrid.

The question sounds like “Do you walk to school or bring your lunch?”, that’s a secondary (or tertiary) consideration after you’ve chosen the ESS components.

On the other tentacle, CAN is faster and more modern, so in a vacuum if Ethernet (fiber’s probably safer electrically) is not available I’d choose CAN.

Grid-scale storage probably shouldn’t concern itself with solar, but I suppose it could if you are making a microgrid.

The question sounds like “Do you walk to school or bring your lunch?”, that’s a secondary (or tertiary) consideration after you’ve chosen the ESS components.

On the other tentacle, CAN is faster and more modern, so in a vacuum if Ethernet (fiber’s probably safer electrically) is not available I’d choose CAN.
Yes. you are right. I mean in a microgrid, what type of communication is preferred between components (like battery, solar, and inverter)?
So for Modbus communication we need fiber?

So for Modbus communication we need fiber?
No, I was saying that FIRST you choose your ESS solution (batteries, inverters, whatever) and then you choose your communications technology from the options supported by both. MY choices in a vacuum would be:

Fiber
Ethernet
CAN
RS485 (what you probably mean when you say Modbus)

But YOUR choices will be constrained by the rest of your technology.

It’s like buying a car and choosing the tires first.

If you want to learn about grid scale storage. This really isn't the place.
This forum is full of people who are building personal use sized systems.
Grid scale systems are engineered and designed for and by the utility company.

Back