diy solar

diy solar

Grid tied battery charger and inverter setup with TOU scheduling

James_Q

Hi,

I'm pretty new at this and have read a lot of discussions on this forum but still couldn't figure out what I need for my particular setup. So allow me to explain. I already have a solar system installed since 2014 (SolarEdge) in San Diego CA and grandfathered into NEM2.0, but system is not big enough to cover my peak usage during the day. I have multiple EV and PHEVs. For the PHEV I'm constantly charging during the day because it doesn't have enough EV range. I have EV-TOU rate that I pay $0.15 from 12-6AM but more than $0.8 from 4-9PM. My idea is to get a battery bank to charge from 12-6AM and pump the power back to the grid during 4-9PM so I can use it normally without having to disconnect from the grid and/or worry about battery capacity. I read the threads about AC coupling (battery backup) and off-grid system, but none of them solves my problem. So in summary, the system should:
1. Connect the charger to the battery bank from 12-6AM, charge to 90% then disconnect.
2. Connect the inverter to battery bank from 4-9PM, invert the power back to the grid, until the battery reaches 10% or 5%, then disconnect.

Is there an all-in-one hybrid inverter/charger with TOU setting that gives me what I want? If not, what are my choices? Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
any true hybrid inverter can do that, if money is not the problem go with Sol Ark, or the new EG4-18KPV-12LV which is the same as GSL/LUX 12K hybrid inverter, which is way cheaper.

Hi,

I'm pretty new at this and have read a lot of discussions on this forum but still couldn't figure out what I need for my particular setup. So allow me to explain. I already have a solar system installed since 2014 (SolarEdge) in San Diego CA and grandfathered into NEM2.0, but system is not big enough to cover my peak usage during the day. I have multiple EV and PHEVs. For the PHEV I'm constantly charging during the day because it doesn't have enough EV range. I have EV-TOU rate that I pay $0.15 from 12-6AM but more than $0.8 from 4-9PM. My idea is to get a battery bank to charge from 12-6AM and pump the power back to the grid during 4-9PM so I can use it normally without having to disconnect from the grid and/or worry about battery capacity. I read the threads about AC coupling (battery backup) and off-grid system, but none of them solves my problem. So in summary, the system should:
1. Connect the charger to the battery bank from 12-6AM, charge to 90% then disconnect.
2. Connect the inverter to battery bank from 4-9PM, invert the power back to the grid, until the battery reaches 10% or 5%, then disconnect.

Is there an all-in-one hybrid inverter/charger with TOU setting that gives me what I want? If not, what are my choices? Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance!
Are you looking for a permitted, city- and utility-approved solution?

Thanks for replies. The EG4-18KV sounds like a good solution, but it's really expensive. Even a simple 15KWh battery setup would cost $10K+.

Also, I don't think I want/need to get a permit. I already have NEM agreement in place, so feeding back power is not a problem. I just need to install a system that's cost effective and reliable. My alternative is build a battery backup system that fills up at night, and charges my PHEV during on-peak hours without being grid tied. It's cheaper but requires some manual switching between battery and grid power in case the battery runs out.

Do you just need the power for your phev and ev?

Just a cheap off grid inverter sized to handle those specific loads should work. Of course you would also need the battery power to supply the loads

Back