diy solar

diy solar

Simple, reliable 120v or 240v inverter than can output ~3000W from a battery bank? No solar; no generator; no scheduling.

aunsafe2015

I'm thinking about a very simple setup. A 120v Reliance Controls manual transfer switch that is powered by a battery system + inverter when in "GEN" mode. 10-15 kW of battery capacity, probably EG4.

All I need the inverter to do is keep the batteries charged and to output (up to ~3000W) to the Reliance Controls MST when power goes out and I flip the MST from "LINE" to "GEN". Nothing complicated. No scheduling, no solar, no generator. Any suggestions for the simplest, most reliable inverter for use in a simple setup like this one? Thanks.

Edit: Edit to add that simplicity and reliability are primary goals. If an inverter capable of outputting 240v is better than any of the 120v options then that a 240v inverter fine with me.

Last edited:
im not really sure what it is you need but i have a Renogy 3000w inverter (240v) on my motorhome (camper) it auto switches between allowing mains power to pass through but then immediately (almost) switches to providing 240v via the battery?

quite a few you tube videos showing it in action.

im not really sure what it is you need but i have a Renogy 3000w inverter (240v) on my motorhome (camper) it auto switches between allowing mains power to pass through but then immediately (almost) switches to providing 240v via the battery?

quite a few you tube videos showing it in action.
Thanks for the response. Was it reasonably easy to set up? Given how simple my needs are (no scheduling, no solar, no generator, etc.) I hoping to find something that doesn't require me to be an expert and go through 1000 menu settings just to get it operating in the simple manner that I need...

Thanks for the response. Was it reasonably easy to set up? Given how simple my needs are (no scheduling, no solar, no generator, etc.) I hoping to find something that doesn't require me to be an expert and go through 1000 menu settings just to get it operating in the simple manner that I need...
I connected it as per the instructions (,but added a fuse and ditched the supplied cables)fitted the remote switch to turn it on or off and turned it on ... it really was that simple. Hardest thing was deciding which sockets or permanent electrical appliances I wanted to be able to run from the inverter and 240v.

I went a bit further by adding an anti surge device but that was by choice ...

I wonder how the battery get charged? Do you use a separate charger connected to the grid?

Note: I would be interested to get a similar setup, but using 48V batteries to be charged during off-peak hours,
and providing power during peak hours.

Back