diy solar

diy solar

How to power a SolArk 12K from a 120V generator?

SunofNY

I have a 100% off-grid customer who has a SolArk 12K and a 120V 6kW Generac generator.
Can I convert the 120V from the generator to the 240V required input (grid in or gen in) of the SolArk?
I thought I could use a 100A Victron Autoinverter, but Im not sure:
A) If the 100A pass through applies to 240V going to the SA12K
B) Even if the Victron can do it, will it be 100% automatic and operate autonomously... turn on when the gen turns on with no button pressing required?

Is there another, better way to get this pair to play together?
Thanks for the help :)

I have a 100% off-grid customer who has a SolArk 12K and a 120V 6kW Generac generator.
Can I convert the 120V from the generator to the 240V required input (grid in or gen in) of the SolArk?
I thought I could use a 100A Victron Autoinverter, but Im not sure:
A) If the 100A pass through applies to 240V going to the SA12K
B) Even if the Victron can do it, will it be 100% automatic and operate autonomously... turn on when the gen turns on with no button pressing required?

Is there another, better way to get this pair to play together?
Thanks for the help :)

6Kw @ 120 Volts? What kind of plug passes that sort of current or is this a hardwired backup type?

Victron autotransformer.

Hardwired Generac whole house backup.

Looks like they made a 240V conversion kit? Not sure what's involved. Probably changing a couple terminals to split the Gen windings and installing a new breaker?

"As off-grid energy systems continue to grow in size and capacity, it is becoming more common to have a 240 V instead of 120 V only. This conversion kit allows the EcoGen to be converted easily from a 120 V system to a 240 V system and still maintain a full 6 kW output. Kit 006016-0 must be used with EcoGen Model 005818-0. Kit 006016-1 must be used with EcoGen Model 005818-1. Includes breaker. Additional power wire. Instructions."

An EG4 chargeverter.

5kW @ 240v, 2.5kW @ 120v; could always use two. It makes sure that any poor power quality, surges, etc. don't make it through to your loads.

Looks like they made a 240V conversion kit? Not sure what's involved. Probably changing a couple terminals to split the Gen windings and installing a new breaker?

"As off-grid energy systems continue to grow in size and capacity, it is becoming more common to have a 240 V instead of 120 V only. This conversion kit allows the EcoGen to be converted easily from a 120 V system to a 240 V system and still maintain a full 6 kW output. Kit 006016-0 must be used with EcoGen Model 005818-0. Kit 006016-1 must be used with EcoGen Model 005818-1. Includes breaker. Additional power wire. Instructions."
Wow! before coming on here, I talked w Generac about this situation. Their "tech line" knew nothing of this solution.
This forum is gold.
Thank you.

Wow, I would never have guessed that this could be done.
It would be great if the Op can get back to us and tell us the details when he finds them out from Generac.

Wow, I would never have guessed that this could be done.
It would be great if the Op can get back to us and tell us the details when he finds them out from Generac.
Checkthisout has the part numbers and all. I am so happy I asked. Ill order the kit tomorrow. I will get to the project in about two weeks. I will update how it goes and if I learn anything else along the way. Attached are the conversion instructions.

Attachments

• Gen 120-240V convkit .pdf
    1 MB · Views: 5
Back