diy solar

diy solar

New SolArk 12K, X2, issues/glitches..

A couple of questions/ brainstorm points…

Why do you have battery charge setting of 40A on batt set screen? Don’t you have tons of PV?

Why are you running a 16s battery at such low voltage settings? (Have you tried 54.4 float/55.8charge/equalize off)

Can you/have you tried having BMS not communicating to SolArk? Let BMS on DIY pack be stand alone?

Have you tried having SolArk use batt V instead of %?

Limited discharge to 100Amp? Total of 2 units x 100A = 200Ax53v only 10kW? Why 2 units? Just for extra PV handling capacity?

Maybe a single 15k unit would have handled loads and split PV arrays up with stand alone charge controllers to not max out a single unit. You’ve got a huge battery bank and looking at settings you’re barely touching it.

Just some thoughts

A couple of questions/ brainstorm points…

Why do you have battery charge setting of 40A on batt set screen? Don’t you have tons of PV?

Why are you running a 16s battery at such low voltage settings? (Have you tried 54.4 float/55.8charge/equalize off)

Can you/have you tried having BMS not communicating to SolArk? Let BMS on DIY pack be stand alone?

Have you tried having SolArk use batt V instead of %?

Limited discharge to 100Amp? Total of 2 units x 100A = 200Ax53v only 10kW? Why 2 units? Just for extra PV handling capacity?

Maybe a single 15k unit would have handled loads and split PV arrays up with stand alone charge controllers to not max out a single unit. You’ve got a huge battery bank and looking at settings you’re barely touching it.

Just some thoughts
Good to hear from you. I text you a few times with no replies. You outta come visit and check things out here, should come visit. Reach out if you want.
So far 40 amps X 2 = 80 amps, has been sufficient to charge back to 3.35/6 v per cell each day. 3.35/6 Vpc, 53.9/54 volts is about 90%, that’s where I want to charge, based on the reading/research I’ve seen on this forum. So far my balance has been good and not using balancer at all. I’m using Batrium as my BMS.
Due to current issues, troubleshooting with Sol-Ark, I’m currently out of closed loop comms. Sol-Ark is controlling the batteries currently.
Currently using Batt V charged currently. Percentage is when Batrium is in closed loop only.
100Ax2=200 amp discharge, so far according to Batrium data, my max discharge has been 137 amps total on the batteries.
16,830 watts of pv the reason for dual units. Plus the Preppers rule: (one is none, two is one)

PM me.

Good to hear from you. I text you a few times with no replies. You outta come visit and check things out here, should come visit. Reach out if you want.
So far 40 amps X 2 = 80 amps, has been sufficient to charge back to 3.35/6 v per cell each day. 3.35/6 Vpc, 53.9/54 volts is about 90%, that’s where I want to charge, based on the reading/research I’ve seen on this forum. So far my balance has been good and not using balancer at all. I’m using Batrium as my BMS.
Due to current issues, troubleshooting with Sol-Ark, I’m currently out of closed loop comms. Sol-Ark is controlling the batteries currently.
Currently using Batt V charged currently. Percentage is when Batrium is in closed loop only.
100Ax2=200 amp discharge, so far according to Batrium data, my max discharge has been 137 amps total on the batteries.
16,830 watts of pv the reason for dual units. Plus the Preppers rule: (one is none, two is one)

PM me.
3.35V is not close to full. Bump that up to 3.45V/cell at least.

Were you able to tell if your new Sol-Ark units came with the updated MPPT board, I'm curious if the units they're shipping now have these installed so anyone eventually purchasing optimizers wouldn't need to do the replacement if their unit was recently shipped.

I will look later this afternoon.

Edit: I looked at pictures on my phone, Same boards, not like updated MPPT boards.

Last edited:
I just read the install details closer, in order to use this new board a 48v power supply is necessary, so I guess you either have to get yourself a battery or a power brick to use the new optimizers. I assume they didn't have a step-down voltage available in the unit so the simple solution was to require a battery. That requirement seems to imply that this will probably be an optional MPPT upgrade since many installs may not have a battery and therefore would have no power for the optimizers/communication. :confused:

I have to question that tiny unfused red wire going to the battery. Even if there is a fuse on the PCB, I'd install an inline fuse.

I have to question that tiny unfused red wire going to the battery. Even if there is a fuse on the PCB, I'd install an inline fuse.
I think you’re referring to the red wire going to power Batrium. All others are fused. I realized I missed fusing that one when we swapped inverters recently. However, with the issues I’ve had, plus work/life, I’ve not had a chance to fix. But believe me, it’s something I want to address. I even have the inline fuses.

Back