diy solar

diy solar

Thoughts on Midnite Classic 250

I don't underestimate the cost of building ground mounts anymore, after I did mine. So I do see a decent value in the mounting aspect of the trailer alone... if it gets to the beneficial operation state.

The downside as ground mounts is in most cases, they have to be flat as they're so close to each other the front 5 shade the back 5.

@sunshine_eggo
Not all, but some came with the 250-SL

The Classic SL-250 MPPT Charge Controller is a simplified SOLAR ONLY version of the Classic 250 with streamlined menus. The Classic SL-250 has a graphics panel and ground fault but no arc fault or Ethernet capabilities. The Classic SL-250 has a maximum output current of 96 amps, an operating voltage of 250 volts and works with 12 to 72 volt battery systems. As with the whole Classic Line, the Classic 250-SL has MidNite's exclusive HyperVOC which extends VOC limits when needed. With a streamlined menu, these SOLAR only MPPT charge controllers are easy to setup and a breeze to install!
PV Reverse PolarityProtected to Max VOC
( Classic MPPT Charger Controllers are fully protected from reverse current on both input and output)
Battery Reverse PolarityFully protected
( Classic MPPT Charger Controllers are fully protected from reverse current on both input and output)

LOL... What's really shocking is that they used such premium hardware. The trailers are high quality too. It's like they found the perfect answer to the question, "How do we take a bunch of really good shit and arrange/package it in a way that maximizes suck?"

They were being billed out at $150K each... WTF???!!!
Don’t worry they billed out hundreds of trailers and never even built them, they just kept updating serial numbers incase someone stopped by.

It was all a “tax write off” of green energy credits, the companies “buying” these had zero interest in any of the equipment, it could have been a cracker jack box for all they care.

The real harm to all of their doings was NASCAR, lol.

@sunshine_eggo
Not all, but some came with the 250-SL

The Classic SL-250 MPPT Charge Controller is a simplified SOLAR ONLY version of the Classic 250 with streamlined menus. The Classic SL-250 has a graphics panel and ground fault but no arc fault or Ethernet capabilities. The Classic SL-250 has a maximum output current of 96 amps, an operating voltage of 250 volts and works with 12 to 72 volt battery systems. As with the whole Classic Line, the Classic 250-SL has MidNite's exclusive HyperVOC which extends VOC limits when needed. With a streamlined menu, these SOLAR only MPPT charge controllers are easy to setup and a breeze to install!
PV Reverse PolarityProtected to Max VOC
Battery Reverse PolarityFully protected

Thanks. That gives me something to go on. It ultimately doesn't matter in this situation, but now I have to found out... :)

East and West array point the equipment box end North to avoid some of the direct sun to minimize heat gain on the equipment.

They're pointed North for that reason, but a flat array still outperfoms E/W since it's not overpaneled. There may be some situations where two trailers go to one controller, and in that case will definitely E/W both trailers.

I purchased a CL250 from a DC Solar trailer and ended up purchasing a new one. Its been the heart beat of my system.
Quote from Midnite:
We sold very few full-featured classics to DC Solar and that was about 4 years ago so it's doubtful you have the full-featured model. A quick way to know is to look for a colored dot sticker or the -Carpoff sticker on the box. But that aside if you get me a serial # I can look it up

There are a few threads @ Midnite on these trailers & the Classic-250's (not the normal ones you buy retail) and it would be prudent to look on THEIR Forums for more info... there is a wealth of it there.

I have a Classic 200 & 150. They are great and do exactly as they are supposed to BUT these are Retail Models and not even the SL edition. Their fans ARE loud & annoying but as others have said they have a kit for that. The replacements are not any quieter - damned shame they didn't use fans with ball bearings as opposed to the cheapo's with sleeve bearing that make noise.

FYI: The US Army is about to start dumping similar trailers so keep an eye out. Additionally, the US Forces have to replace all of their LFP Battery Packs (They are made by CATL) - DUKE Energy is already swapping them out, they started in December. There will be some damned good deals there folks.

They're pointed North for that reason, but a flat array still outperfoms E/W since it's not overpaneled. There may be some situations where two trailers go to one controller, and in that case will definitely E/W both trailers.
I wonder in this situation if it would be best to strip all the parts from those 8 trailers, build new ground mounted PV to get the most from the panels, add more panels where this makes sense, sell the trailers to pay for the ground mounts and parts needed, and build a few solar sheds. Just an idea to explore.
One thing about trailer mounted anything, they can disappear on ya.

There are a few threads @ Midnite on these trailers & the Classic-250's (not the normal ones you buy retail) and it would be prudent to look on THEIR Forums for more info... there is a wealth of it there.

I have a Classic 200 & 150. They are great and do exactly as they are supposed to BUT these are Retail Models and not even the SL edition. Their fans ARE loud & annoying but as others have said they have a kit for that. The replacements are not any quieter - damned shame they didn't use fans with ball bearings as opposed to the cheapo's with sleeve bearing that make noise.

FYI: The US Army is about to start dumping similar trailers so keep an eye out. Additionally, the US Forces have to replace all of their LFP Battery Packs (They are made by CATL) - DUKE Energy is already swapping them out, they started in December. There will be some damned good deals there folks.

Thanks for that!

I wonder in this situation if it would be best to strip all the parts from those 8 trailers, build new ground mounted PV to get the most from the panels, add more panels where this makes sense, sell the trailers to pay for the ground mounts and parts needed, and build a few solar sheds. Just an idea to explore.
One thing about trailer mounted anything, they can disappear on ya.

That *might* be an option. They are on 25 acres with secure/locked fence all around and freshly installed security cams everywhere. They live only about 10 minutes from the site, so they can get there fast, and they are your typical Arizonan with regards to 2nd amendment enthusiasm. They are working through a zoning issue that's preventing them from launching a business. I suspect once this resolves, and they have a path forward, they'll be more willing to budget for infrastructure.

Right now, it's just about getting minimum workable systems to four different locations across the property. The trailers make sense for now.

The Midnite Classics are, honestly, pretty well bulletproof! We literally have hundreds of them out and I could probably count on my 2 hands how many failures we have had! Now I will say that we did not use many of the 250s. Mostly the 200s and some 150s.

The 250s are limited too much on charge amps (?~65A?), while the 200 does 79A and you can string 60 cell panels 4S and 72 cell panels 3S comfortably. The 150s will do 90A+, but 150V limit makes it not very nice to string newer 72 cell (or split cell/144 cell) panels. Something to keep in mi9nd is that while the Classics have HyperVOC, they actually stop producing when in that HyperVOC voltage range (nameplate voltage plus battery voltage, e.g. 200v nameplate + 53V batt = 253VDC with no damage to unit). In northern (colder) climates you will hit HyperVOC sometimes during the winter if you string 4S with 60 cell panels or 3S with 72 cell panels, on a Classic 150.

Long story short, over the years we have found the CL250s to be the sweet spot on Voltage vs. Amps.

The SLXXX versions have the exact same hardware (except for the ethernet jack being missing on the PCB) as the full featured ones..... just software differences. No hydro or wind options. Solar only. The idea was to make a unit that is cheaper, but just with less features. IIRC the SL units also don't support using the Whizbang Jr shunt for battery SOC monitoring.

When the Classic fans give out, the unit derates it's PV production to keep the temp down. Fans are very easily replaced!

We had one unit fail (this was a CL200) when we accidentally didn't have the battery side negative connected to a negative busbar correctly and it got against a grounded switchgear frame. I'm assuming it toasted the ground fault circuitry, but haven't gotten around to calling Midnite yet to get it fixed.

Moral of the story is that I would pretty well trust the Midnite Classic CCs with my life! (Not quite... just very close.... LOL)

CL250s are limited to 55A on 48V systems.

Using the second user's numbers, the failure rate is 7 out of 18 total (2 of 8 trailers and the other user has two trailers + 8 other CLXXX controllers).

1. Were all the trailers built at the same time? Bad run of chips?
2. They are just working outside their intended specifications.

CL250s are limited to 55A on 48V systems.
You are right, I couldn't remember exact numbers. Here is their curve sheet:

1710874021441.png

And here are the ones for the 150 and 200:

1710874077757.png
Using the second user's numbers, the failure rate is 7 out of 18 total (2 of 8 trailers and the other user has two trailers + 8 other CLXXX controllers).
That is some pretty terrible numbers! I would lean heavily toward there being some kind of installer error, going off of my own background with them! Although my experience is much more with the CL150 and CL200! So it could be that the CL250 is not as reliable, although we do have some of those out there as well, and I believe we had one whole one fail. But I'm pretty sure that was when it got toasted by lightning!

Is there any chance of lightning strikes playing into these failures? Any way that being on a trailer is attracting stray voltage or lightning and causing issues? What about grounding, is there any grounding? (I assume not really, if it's trailer...?)

Our installs are virtually all in permanent/ stationary installs. E.g. not on trailers....

I know Midnite has told me before that it is always cheaper to fix the Classics, rather than to replace them. But I know you are thinking replace with a CC that you have more trust in lol. I don't remember seeing the specs of the panels that are on these units. Would it be possible to swap out to a CL200? Maybe too high PV voltage string for that... (But then again, I know you are comfortable with Victron, so swapping to a Victron probably makes more sense to you.)

That is some pretty terrible numbers! I would lean heavily toward there being some kind of installer error, going off of my own background with them! Although my experience is much more with the CL150 and CL200! So it could be that the CL250 is not as reliable, although we do have some of those out there as well, and I believe we had one whole one fail. But I'm pretty sure that was when it got toasted by lightning!

Is there any chance of lightning strikes playing into these failures? Any way that being on a trailer is attracting stray voltage or lightning and causing issues? What about grounding, is there any grounding? (I assume not really, if it's trailer...?)

Our installs are virtually all in permanent/ stationary installs. E.g. not on trailers....

10 in trailers, 8 stationary. I can't comment on the non-trailer installations.

I know Midnite has told me before that it is always cheaper to fix the Classics, rather than to replace them. But I know you are thinking replace with a CC that you have more trust in lol. I don't remember seeing the specs of the panels that are on these units. Would it be possible to swap out to a CL200? Maybe too high PV voltage string for that... (But then again, I know you are comfortable with Victron, so swapping to a Victron probably makes more sense to you.)

5S 60 cell panels, 189Voc, so a 200 is pretty marginal. This is the Phoenix area, but we can get below freezing.

The only way I'd consider retaining the CL250s is if the repair cost is minimal, but it's ultimately up to the user.

Classics have HyperVOC unlike other SCC's. A Classic 250 CAN take up to a MAX of 298V, while a CL-200 can take 248V. Of course that is for a 48V Battery System.

I do hit VOC with my C-200 and never a blink cause I am just a "tad" under (2 volts actually, talk about close).
C-200 has 4S2P config with Canadian Solar 260W Poly panels.
C-150 has 2S3P config using Q-Cell 395W HJIT Panels (MAN they are great with Shade & Cloud)

Classics have HyperVOC unlike other SCC's. A Classic 250 CAN take up to a MAX of 298V, while a CL-200 can take 248V. Of course that is for a 48V Battery System.

I do hit VOC with my C-200 and never a blink cause I am just a "tad" under (2 volts actually, talk about close).
C-200 has 4S2P config with Canadian Solar 260W Poly panels.
C-150 has 2S3P config using Q-Cell 395W HJIT Panels (MAN they are great with Shade & Cloud)

Yeah. HyperVOC is a cool feature.

5S 60 cell panels, 189Voc, so a 200 is pretty marginal. This is the Phoenix area, but we can get below freezing.
Yea, I wouldn't use that on a CL200. Too close to that voltage rating!
The issue with HyperVOC (that most people don't realize) is that while the voltage is in that HyperVOC range, the Classic stops producing power! It's pretty cool that it gives it more "headroom", but then when you have had 2 weeks of no sun in the winter and you get a cold bright day, and the Classic sits in HyperVOC and isn't producing, you wish for a higher voltage controller, or to have the panels stringed differently!

Back in the day we did a few installs with CL150s and 4S2P with 235W panels. Then the customers started calling us on cold, clear winter days, asking why the CC says HyperVOC and isn't charging.... :fp That's when we switched to the CL200s for those setups!

Back