diy solar

diy solar

Midnite Solar Announced their new 10kw AIO at Intersolar Today

I still want a answer why the USA made rosie only has a five year warranty but the china built one has 10? Also want to see it starting some serious surge loads like they demonstrated with rosie. Well pumps are a big one for us in the country.
That's a good question.

I'm sure @HighTechLab will have some good surge tests done if he hasn't already.

Can some of you guys find your own thread instead of derailing this one?
So mentioning the 'much' lower price of some other cheaper Chinese AIO's is not causing Midnite to consider lowing their price??
I was hoping.....

Its not that I don't like the Midnite "The One" product a lot. The box is really really nice as I pointed out. Probably an overkill for many.
Its just way too much $$. A 2x premium over another device that "just works" is pretty much all you can ask for, IMO.
That would put the new Midnite at roughly $3000, or slightly less as the prices fall.
For me, at 5K, its not happening.

For that reason, I'll get off this thread.

I think $5k for a capable 10kW AIO is not bad at all.

$5k is a 5kW Sunny Island (not counting the liquidations I've enjoyed), and its performance is the benchmark. Match the performance, at 2x the wattage, with MPPT included, for same price, and you've got a real winner.

An off-brand Chinese product for 1/3 the price of a name brand product made in China means nothing at all, unless it approaches the quality and performance.

I never bought a GoPro for $250. I did buy a Chinese dash cam for $25. Worked at first, later just recorded noise instead of image.

What is the track record of these other brand AIO?

I don't know yet what quality difference comes with a Midnight branded Chinese made inverter. Has the DIY line differentiated itself (the way SolArk has)?

An off-brand Chinese product for 1/3 the price of a name brand product made in China means nothing at all, unless it approaches the quality and performance.
Price and quality are only loosely related. Spending more doesn't assure you get more.

The Midnite unit has the perfection of not yet existing. Something as complex as this won't be perfect on first release.

In the "10KW AIO class", I've looked at the following with the best prices I can find:

Sol-Ark 15K: $7000
Midnite MN15-12KW-AIO: ~$5000? (not out yet)
EG4 18KPV: $4900
Growatt SPH 10000TL-HU-US: ~$2500? (not out yet)
Sungold SG10KHB-48: $2400 (Amensolar relabel?)
Amensolar N3H-X10-US: $2200

All of the above do 10KW AC or better, have 3 MPPTs or better, IP65 rated, US certs, and split phase output. The cheaper units put a lot of price pressure on the market segment. Have I left anybody out?

Mike C.

Price and quality are only loosely related. Spending more doesn't assure you get more.

The Midnite unit has the perfection of not yet existing. Something as complex as this won't be perfect on first release.

In the "10KW AIO class", I've looked at the following with the best prices I can find:

Sol-Ark 15K: $7000
Midnite MN15-12KW-AIO: ~$5000? (not out yet)
EG4 18KPV: $4900
Growatt SPH 10000TL-HU-US: ~$2500? (not out yet)
Sungold SG10KHB-48: $2400 (Amensolar relabel?)
Amensolar N3H-X10-US: $2200

All of the above do 10KW AC or better, have 3 MPPTs or better, IP65 rated, US certs, and split phase output. The cheaper units put a lot of price pressure on the market segment. Have I left anybody out?

Mike C.
Consider some of the companies you mention have not even existed as long as their warranties. Midnite has decades of history, do you hear about them giving customers the run around? I certainly haven’t…and that’s worth something to me.

The midnight unit is out, at least in the sense of some people in the US having operated it.
By the time Midnight sells something, they will have wrung it out and been happy with it, which means you will be too.

Lifespan/reliability is a bit harder to pin down.

That's a good question.

I'm sure @HighTechLab will have some good surge tests done if he hasn't already.
Haven't yet, I took the unit apart completely on video yesterday, figure I need to wait about a week of having it scattered all across the bench to see just how good the internal labeling is, THEN power it on. If it still works, then I'll deem it user-servicable.

Haven't yet, I took the unit apart completely on video yesterday, figure I need to wait about a week of having it scattered all across the bench to see just how good the internal labeling is, THEN power it on. If it still works, then I'll deem it user-servicable.
I like your thought process and methods.
Just don't let it get like one my benches where the parts get blended together into one big what the heck was I working on project...

I'd imagine you've taken apart / tried to take apart many other brands. How would you rate the Midnite vs the others, possibly blue in color?
Did you happen to notice the brand of capacitors used?

I'd imagine you've taken apart / tried to take apart many other brands. How would you rate the Midnite vs the others, possibly blue in color?
Did you happen to notice the brand of capacitors used?

If it were me, I'd have to shrug and ignore the extra couple of parts I had laying there after I had put it all back together. (Speaking from experience)

That usually means they didn't pass FCC conducted emissions (electrical noise on the wires) with the filtering internal to the unit.

I’m not sure that it’s reasonable to jump to that conclusion. Multiple points of mitigation are welcome.

Midnite has a number of amateur radio license holders on their engineering staff and I suspect they are more attentive to RFI suppression issues.

Consider some of the companies you mention have not even existed as long as their warranties. Midnite has decades of history, do you hear about them giving customers the run around? I certainly haven’t…and that’s worth something to me.

Easy to throw stones when you're a retailer. Especially when you don't carry stuff of the companies your throwing shade to. Is it because of their warranty, or because your margin isn't high enough on them...

While he was quoted this price, he was also told by the same seller they do not sell to retail. Thus the comment, "No firm price on the 10K parallel versions of the SRNE ASP but price should be under $1500 each."

The only retail seller I know of was on Aliexpress at just under $1500. My guess is it will be around $1500 retail. Now if you want to purchase a whole container, I'm certain you will get the units bought at around $875. You could share the savings with all your friends here.

I've considered buying 2 for test reasons but really this time of the year I'm already occupied with my time.
Share 😁

Giving customers the run around? We know that doesn't happen! LOL ..
But I have replaced two inverters when it has occured.
I would go with Midnite before even thinking about an inverter that hasn't been out for 3 to 4 years with a good track record.

Back