diy solar

diy solar

Grounding/Earthing confusion

MrModules

I have almost finished my first ever setup from the 'Build Your First Solar Power System!' video (with parts from where i live. Australia) and spare pannels i have. from the video i should be able to pretty much go, but i got to thinking of grounding. The more i researched the more confused i got, mainly at the difference of grounding/earthing. My two solar pannels are connected to the same rail and i know they need to be earthed/grounded, my inverter and charge controller both have the same grounding symbol but from what ive read. Grounding take the negetive to the ground, the 'ground' for the controller is the heatsink which doesnt connect to the the negetive so it would be 'earthing' instead. Unless im wayyy out of the ball park. Some have said just to connect it to my house's main system for grounding. just want to power my computer and some other things to take the toll off our bill. but i have no idea to ground/earth, im not the smartest in terms so any straight forward help would be appreciated, thank you (this setup will mostly be on a shelf above my head in my room, so dont want anything to happen ? )

Attachments

• solar setup.png
    solar setup.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 28
Yes you should ground them using your house mains earth wire. Ideally a newly run cable from your consumer unit but atleast using the earth from a nearby socket.

Yes you should ground them using your house mains earth wire. Ideally a newly run cable from your consumer unit but atleast using the earth from a nearby socket.
So grounding as in taking an off branch from each negetive cable to the main's earth? not using the indicated 'ground' screws on the inverter and charge contoller as they are 'earthing chassis' instead?

So grounding as in taking an off branch from each negetive cable to the main's earth? not using the indicated 'ground' screws on the inverter and charge contoller as they are 'earthing chassis' instead?
What? No I meant connect the chassis to the earth. I wouldn't bother grounding the negative and certainly not in more than one location. You might want to look into correctly tying your inverter output neutral to ground if it doesn't do so internally.

What? No I meant connect the chassis to the earth. I wouldn't bother grounding the negative and certainly not in more than one location. You might want to look into correctly tying your inverter output neutral to ground if it doesn't do so internally.
ahh i see, doing the chassis grounding for the charge controller and inverter should be all i have todo?(the screws with the ground icon on each to the main's green) sorry for any frustration ahaha. the whole grounding/earthing thing has put me in a big confusion. really have to use simple wording with me on this ahahah

Last edited:
did a check, my inverter's grounding screw has a connection to the negetive dc input, the charge controller doesnt (as its just the heatsink) also reading about dc/ac confusses me more. ive scoured lots of websites for something maybe a 10 year old can understand. so far im taking it as connecting the charge controller's heatsink to my inverter and my inverter to my house's green cable from just inside the wall. but i dont think that covers any AC grounding from inverter to my computer + (other devices). my 2 solar pannels are on a corrugated roof with a antennae so should have a earthing/ground existing already

Back