diy solar

diy solar

Grounding Quattro, MPPT RS, and AutoTransformer

AlaskanNoob

Solar Enthusiast
I am completely off grid with no generator hooked up to the inverter.

I have a Quattro 15K and an MPPT RS 450/200 in my solar shed, and the Quattro AC output goes to an AutoTransformer and from there to the AC distribution panel. The AC side of things is grounded (the electrician did it).

But I have yet to ground the Quattro, MPPT, and AutoTransformer. I believe these grounding points are for the metal cases of the equipment.

I'm planning on connecting cables to connect their respective ground points to the same ground rod the electrician used when he grounded the AC panel.

Quattro ground.jpg

Planning on grounding the Quattro above with the ground lug in the lower left corner.

MPPT ground.jpg
Planning on grounding the MPPT RS with the ground point in the lower left corner.

AT ground.jpg
And planning on grounding the AutoTransformer using the ground tab at the bottom.

Am I correct that this grounding is to ground the equipment cases and that it shouldn't interfere with the grounding that the electrician installed for the AC panel even though it will all be grounded to the same ground rod?

Many thanks!

I think you're talking about bonding. You want to bond all the metal cases together.

Mike Holt can explain it much better than me. Below link is borrowed from Eggo. See if it answers your question.

1. Grounding/Earthing (from timestamp - stick with it a few minutes)

I think you're talking about bonding. You want to bond all the metal cases together.

Mike Holt can explain it much better than me. Below link is borrowed from Eggo. See if it answers your question.

1. Grounding/Earthing (from timestamp - stick with it a few minutes)

I'll check that out. Based on this video, I think bonding/grounding the casings of our equipment to the ground bar should work. I'll check out that link to see if it agrees, much appreciated.

Back