diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 6000 com problems with Hitachi Litium battery

kamoe

Has anybody gotten the Growatt to communicate with these Hitachi batteries? What's the correct protocol? What could I have done wrong here?

I'm having problems getting the communication working between my Growatt 6000T and my Hitachi ESM-48100B1 Lithium Battery bank.

I have three of these batteries connected with RJ-45 cable and a terminator in the end. I'm quite sure the connections themselves are fine. The batteries balance themselves, and the Growatt unit is charging and working pretty much fine. But the Growatt don't read the battery percentage properly ++ without the communication.

The Growatt unit has a configuration option for Litium batteries. As the manual says "In order to communicate with battery BMS, you should set the battery type to “LI” in Program 5." But it don't work. With any of the four BMS communications protocol options I just get battery errors.

The cable between the inverter and the Hitachi BMS is a standard RJ45 cable, the manual says: "Make sure the lithium battery BMS port connects to the inverter is Pin to Pin. The BMS port supports communication with BMS by RS485 protocol or CAN protocol."

This is the battery:

Has anybody gotten the Growatt to communicate with these Hitachi batteries? What's the correct protocol? What could I have done wrong here?

I'm having problems getting the communication working between my Growatt 6000T and my Hitachi ESM-48100B1 Lithium Battery bank.

I have three of these batteries connected with RJ-45 cable and a terminator in the end. I'm quite sure the connections themselves are fine. The batteries balance themselves, and the Growatt unit is charging and working pretty much fine. But the Growatt don't read the battery percentage properly ++ without the communication.

The Growatt unit has a configuration option for Litium batteries. As the manual says "In order to communicate with battery BMS, you should set the battery type to “LI” in Program 5." But it don't work. With any of the four BMS communications protocol options I just get battery errors.

The cable between the inverter and the Hitachi BMS is a standard RJ45 cable, the manual says: "Make sure the lithium battery BMS port connects to the inverter is Pin to Pin. The BMS port supports communication with BMS by RS485 protocol or CAN protocol."

This is the battery:

The pin assignments of your battery don't match the pin assignments of the Growatt 6000. My 6000 uses pin 1 for RS485 Transmit and pin 2 for RS485 Receive. Pin 4 & 5 are designated for CAN communication. You will have to "customize" your RJ45 cable to get a true "pin to pin" configuration that would allow you to use either protocol. On the controller end of the cable move pin 4 wire to pin 2, Move 7 to 4 and 8 to 5. Leave pins 3,6,7 & 8 empty. That SHOULD allow you to choose either protocol for your BMS communications.

Last edited:
I have the same battery ESM-48100B1, I am using it with an Inverex Nitrox 6KW inverter, same issue with BMS communication, Any suggestions on shall I try the same pin pairing as mentioned above?

The pin assignments of your battery don't match the pin assignments of the Growatt 6000. My 6000 uses pin 1 for RS485 Transmit and pin 2 for RS485 Receive. Pin 4 & 5 are designated for CAN communication. You will have to "customize" your RJ45 cable to get a true "pin to pin" configuration that would allow you to use either protocol. On the controller end of the cable move pin 4 wire to pin 2, Move 7 to 4 and 8 to 5. Leave pins 3,6,7 & 8 empty. That SHOULD allow you to choose either protocol for your BMS communications.
Thanks for the reply.. I'll make that cable and put it between the Growatt and the battery. Same goes for the cables between the batteries I assume so I need to make a bunch.

Back