diy solar

diy solar

Growatt inverter, battery and main fuses

david451

I have been told that the type A circuit breakers supplying current to the inverter should be type B. Also that there should be an isolater fitted between the batteries and the inverter. I have a sph 3600tl bl up inverter and two axe 5.0l c1 batteries. Any help appreciated, I emailed growatt but they never replied. There is an isolator at the side of the inverter to cut mains ac and a dc isolator for the panels but for safety reasons there needs to be one between batteries and inverter. The type A fuses in main consumer will burn out im told. An enquiry to another source said the inverter and batteries are hybrid and thus ok but dont want a fire and during a rewire a spark told me I needed to do this work. Who is correct here

I read this over, and saw no replies. I will give it a shot.
First, I wondered about your location, as this can affect the reply, "Lanark" - Ontario, Canada, or Scotland, or Wester Australia, or Illinois USA. could be any of these.
Okay I will ignore location.
The battery type you note is not familiar to me, but IIRC is a LiFePO4 chemistry.
Between the ESS (Energy Storage System) and the Inverters I like to have a dedicated Class-T fuse in case of something catastrophic occuring. For day to day isolation I also used MCCB (moulded case circuit breakers) like the Dihool 2-pole units which appear to be DC non-polarized (ck to be sure) for use in this application.
The issue with LiFePO4 batteries if shorted, is the massive current flow possible in the ten's of thousands of amps. Thus the system to interrupt this current requires to be rated for interruption currents in the ten's of thousands of amps. Generally we seem to have consensus on the forum the Class-T fuses are the best way to achieve this level of protection. I like to recommend the ones from Blue Sea with the matching fuse holder.

Back