diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPH Series Inverter - Battery BMS protocol

I have all the equipment to start trying to do this now, I believe that growatt actually communicates to the pylontech batteries over rs485 and not can-bus but I have the can hat module so I will be able to use rs485 and can, from reading a lot about people connecting actual pylontech batteries it's using the rs485 at 9600 and needs some dip switches changed and possibly some firmware updates on the inverter to get it to work. currently have my inverter to lead-acid but it doesn't always start charging the batteries unless they are below 50% as it thinks they are still full.
Oh,

For Studer inverter, used raspberry pi to switch on the power / off -- basically used relay we operate connector. My LFP Battery communicates using blue tooth which is captured by RPI and control this relay (which in turns connector on/off).

For GoodWe I was trying to enable the CAN directly -- while was able convert bluetooth data into CAN format (tried both pylon tech format and goodwe format ) unable to get it working with inverter working.

Once in a while get the below message from inverter (only when inverter is rebooted type but not always)
Timestamp: 1642746282.069438 ID: 0004 S E DLC: 8 00 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 Channel: can0
Timestamp: 1642746282.073657 ID: 0004 S E DLC: 8 00 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 Channel: can0
Timestamp: 1642746282.071984 ID: 0040 S E DLC: 8 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 Channel: can0

Are there any Growatt SPH owners active here on this thread?

I’m interested to understand where to purchase these inverters and whether anyone has successfully used a Growatt SPH inverter for zero-export using CT sensors?
I have SPH4000 and use zero export. That option works but not well.
When solar energy is enough for load and rest goes to the battery, then import from the grid is about 40-50W. When energy from panels is higher which uses load and battery, and battery is under current limitation, export to grid is 50-60W. When the battery is full then export to grid 80-120W. When inverters use energiju from the battery then work well (export to grid or export to grid between -10 and +10W). Most of the time it is near zero W.

afaik only SEPLOS supports the can bus used by growatt.

JK bms supports can bus in general but does not tell you anything about the growatt inverter support.

Finally you can find first 2 vendors on alibaba offering 5 kWh battery racks that do support canbus and growatt inverters in particular.
They cost about 900 to 1000$ and look pretty promising, I mean they seem to have even space inside for additional LFP cells for more capacity once they have arrived. You only have to stay within the current peak limits of the BMS in my opinion.

I had seen 2 offers with a Growatt canbus support, both 5 kWh and I guess 10 kWh but that would be just a stack of 2 rackbatteries each 4 rack units high, which makes them a bit too expensive, but one would be OK.

I would love to get such 5 kWh for 900$ and maybe expand that later too to a 10 kWh pack cause it is cheaper to get the cells and parallel those new cells each with an old one to increase or double the capacity.

I've got the same problem (though different battereis). I have RS485 connector for the growatt and plan to use a raspberry pi to emulate a supported battery. There's some pylon tech emulatorcode on github, but it's for CAN not RS485. From that it looks like the battery just sends status updates to the growatt. Simple enough, but I don't know if the RS485 protocol is the same (probably not).

I've got the same problem (though different battereis). I have RS485 connector for the growatt and plan to use a raspberry pi to emulate a supported battery. There's some pylon tech emulatorcode on github, but it's for CAN not RS485. From that it looks like the battery just sends status updates to the growatt. Simple enough, but I don't know if the RS485 protocol is the same (probably not).
regardless what, you will have to do most likely all the stuff in the CAN BUS protocol cause that is what the growatt is used to use with their own battery. This system was not designed for anyones batteries and due to some issues with batteries in the past the pylontech support will be gone or has gone already.

Be ware to get the right BMS cause I had already gotten a JiKong or JK BMS that was capable of 2A balancing on top, but will not be working with the Growatt SPH series , at least the up to 5 K single phase series.
Be aware that the SPF series is using a different dialect or implementaiton for the can bus version cause I have gotten from the chinese wall box batteries the specifications where they emphasize to need to know in advance which growatt inverter will be used with the BMS or Battery.

Do not ignore it as I had done with the JiKong. Great BMS but not really for Growatt CAN BUS or CAN BUS at all, far too complicated at least if you compare it to SEPLOS where you can switch the BMS software to talk CANBUS Growatt SPF and many others as you can see here from a wall mounted battery manufacturer.
Go down in the 2nd column till you find Growatt. Then look at the left column and you will see SPF and SPH and then move to the last Column where you can see the version needed.JOANNA - GROWATT CANBUS DIALECTS.pngGet a Seplos and use the PC software to set the BMS right in the proper Growatt Canbus mode and you will be much happier at least for the beginning then debugging the communication.

Thanks, that's really useful. I didn't realise there was a BMS out there that could talk to the Growatt. But now I do. If I have to swap out the Daly I will. I have a Pi CAN Hat on it's way, so when that comes I'll try the PYLON emulator code on github and see how the growatt responds. If it talks to the emulator then I'll have somewhere to start from. I'd prefer this mainly because I've already got SoC etc from the Daly in the Pi.

In the meantime, the Lead Acid mode is working OK. I'm using about 50% of the battery overnight, which is enough to trigger the growatt to start charging in the morning. I have had to reset it once with the battery breaker when the growatt completely drained the battery. Next time that happens I'll see if I can do that with the Daly software instead of a physical switch.

BTW do you happen to know which firmware version have removed PYLONtech support?

Thanks, that's really useful. I didn't realise there was a BMS out there that could talk to the Growatt. But now I do. If I have to swap out the Daly I will. I have a Pi CAN Hat on it's way, so when that comes I'll try the PYLON emulator code on github and see how the growatt responds. If it talks to the emulator then I'll have somewhere to start from. I'd prefer this mainly because I've already got SoC etc from the Daly in the Pi.

In the meantime, the Lead Acid mode is working OK. I'm using about 50% of the battery overnight, which is enough to trigger the growatt to start charging in the morning. I have had to reset it once with the battery breaker when the growatt completely drained the battery. Next time that happens I'll see if I can do that with the Daly software instead of a physical switch.

BTW do you happen to know which firmware version have removed PYLONtech support?
Well, I had been following the discussion and complaints about the SPH series ( those single phase inverters ) and there had been complaints about growatt units that showed failure and needed repair even though pretty new. Then the ping pong game began with Growatt claiming that it has been caused by Pylontech and so on. Finally Growatt removed the Pylontech Support as a feature from their website at least here.
And since then there had been discussions that Growatt is no longer doing warranty repairs for free in those cases the unit had been used again with pylontech pro or the protocol. Sorry, I am not sure about the whole, just my memory cause I dediced to go for a pure Growatt implementation with the Seplos BMS instead of going for any BMS that could talk or emulate the Pylontech Protocoll.

Even though many might think that growatt Canbus might be easy I have not found any other BMS support the Growatt SPH series that easy by switching the setup via software. JiKong said clearly NO, offered only canbus chips to solder but no growatt protocoll support and did not anounce to develope anything like that. But there are some Wallmount Battery vendors that can work with a lot of different chinese and german inverters as shown here. So there is a BMS at least available for those integrators.

1659043948474.png
Here is the link - I had found these for 1200$ as a 5kWh edition which I prefer cause I hate to think about a 10 kWh battery with about 100 kg to be mounted on a wall. Nightmare to get that right cause you will need too many hands in a too tight space. 2 strong guys for a 50 kg unit is OK, but not 100 kg with 3. This battery has grips or handles on each side so it should be possible but

in the long run you will be better with a self built one running seplos cause once you recognice that you later might add a heatpump for heating or just for warm water then you might need a bit bigger battery . Then you can simply buy another set of 125 Ah cells and get another 6 kWh for 1100$ and then run your previous 16S battery in 16S 2P mode easily using the same BMS. Even the balancer will work cause you build 1S out of 2 parallel cells of same size which you can do at least during the first year of usage.

Here the link to the wall mount battery

I've been offered a Growatt SPH6000 for a reasonable price in the UK, but wanting to buy cheap Chinese batteries and reading this thread is making me think it's not worth the risk. I have asked Seplos for a quote. I also see the spec sheet says the SPH6000 has maximum battery charge / discharge of 3000w, is that correct ? Can batteries only supply 3kW of a 6kW load? I have no PV, just batteries and am on Octopus Go, with on and off peak rates. I don't want to use expensive grid during peak when I put the kettle on.

My SPH5000 only ever charches/discharges form the batteries at 3000 watts (about 60 Amps). Any excess goes to the grid/load.

Thank you, just got detailed response from Growatt, calling it 6000 is a bit misleading. They also stated it doesn't have an auto AC bypass on overload. The Deye 8kW looks a better bet for me.

I have a SPH5000 with 2 Pylontech US2000, does anyone know if it's possible to expand them with diy 15s lifepo4 batteries and somehow emulate the bms communication? i saw the post with github code but there isn't a "guide" on how to set it up

I have a SPH5000 with 2 Pylontech US2000, does anyone know if it's possible to expand them with diy 15s lifepo4 batteries and somehow emulate the bms communication? i saw the post with github code but there isn't a "guide" on how to set it up
Yes, more or less: I guess you want another battery that behaves like a Pylontech US 2000 that you can build on your own, right ?

If so, here is your general masterplan, what you will need to get it well done and then I will explain the details
#1 buy a SEPLOS BMS with the max current (A) the pylon tech are rated ( I do not have Pylontech, but I know my buddy)
#2 buy a Neey actice balancer (without you will not keep the cells together) if you get cells bigger than 50A
#3 build the battery as provided by the link below
#4 take your Laptop or any windows 10 PC and connect it with the USB cable to RS485 they offer
#5 install the software they offer and then you have to choose the can bus protocol for Pylon Tech US 2000
#6 you can configure all the details like cut off voltage, over protection and many, many more this way

Purchases:
#1 get it from Alibaba where SEPLOS has a shop. This way their BMS is cheaper and better protected (by Aliexpress and PayPal) compared to an order from their own website where you have to ask for a quote and much more.
#2 EU customers and US customers (not so sure, but I guess) will get a quote based on ddp or ask for it cause that includes customs, tarifs and VAT / sales tax and shipping. the BMS is affordable, but 200€ or 200$ and 30$ for shipping sound way to much except you be aware that 30$ includes all the customs, tarifs, taxes and fees.
#3 if you order from Alibaba get the right version cause there are 20 or so different offers all looking pretty much the same, but are not the same. I strongly recommand to get the right current, then check for the size like 12 to 20S or so and get the bundle, which includes the display that shows all the data you want to see and you might wanna change later without the Laptop connection and THE CABLE ADAPTER the provide for 20$.
If you are familiar with IT and electronics then you have the change to save 17 $ or so and try to find a usb ftdi adapter to RS485/Can Bus which are usually 3 or 4$ / €.
If you prefer the safe side get the 20$ adapter cause you might need it more than once for example for firmware updates.
Be aware: this cable is your only data connection to the battery and its BMS

Build and a kind of review:
Andy, a german imigrant in Australia, has done a full documentation of a SEPLOS battery build using the case and the cells SEPLOS does offer as a full kit (rack battery 6,9 kWh) - but do not buy that cause the cells he had gotten were from 2019 so 3 years old.
BUT: to build this battery with all the parts SEPLOS has provided shows you all the details how to build your own battery and he has also done another video to explain the BMS and all its parameters in the PC Software and via Display Menu which is mandatory for the Kit buyers.

Attention: Andy has purchased 2 'batteriy solutions' that SEPLOS offers: the full kit incl. cells for a 6,9 kWh battery and another kit for one particular cell, the EVE LF280K with 280 Ah, he had to provide / buy on his own.
This will be his second build of a SEPLOS BMS but I guess this will provide maybe some more views.
Andy is a german professional and goes into all the details and checks everything.
He blames bad products and suppliers on his channel , but also offers help to the manufacturers that overpromise and did not deliver.
So you find on his channel a lot of active balancer videos and test, a lot of crap and bad like the one from Neey, but Neey asked him for help to improve the product and now he is quite happy.

This solution works if you connect the diy battery to a growatt inverter, but I bet it will need a free port to do so. I am not aware if and how you could stack the 2 pylons (which I assume do act as 1 battery with 1 canbus or RS485 cable) with the DIY battery. So check out if you have 2 canbus or RS 485 ports

Finally here is your choice of CAN BUS Protocols: Pylon Tech V1.3 should do the trick. JOANNA - GROWATT CANBUS DIALECTS.png
I think you will need 2 can-bus ports on your inverter to get it done or your pylontech are building a chain with 2 port on each battery for canbus out and in and then you might be able to put all 3 in 1 chain but I have my doubts that this might work cause I bet the inverter wants to talk to each BMS directly and not over another BMS. So I am not the expert as you can see, but you might open a new topic about Pylon Tech and DIY built 'bundle' and how the can-bus should be working.

Here the links
FTDI adapter on german amazon but you will understand what you will need. Most likely cheaper on Ali Express
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B094VTGGV1

SEPLOS BMS = ALIBABA SHOP
attention: this is the german description but you will find the description and you can switch the language in the upper right to english .

SEPLOS BMS youtube presentation / configuration by SEPLOS

SEPLOS BMS by Andy - but this is in depth and takes about 1 hours with all its test if the BMS is working properly cut of voltage or low temperature warning and more.

I have searched for 6 months for a BMS that could handle the growatt canbus implementation and this was the only one. JK BMS claimed to have that too, a can bus port for growatt and I had bought the BMS from them. But at arrival it became obvious that they had fooled me and I had to search again till I found the SEPLOS. There is no other BMS that achieve this variety of inverter brands (and more than those mentioned in the table above). There is only 1 other BMS which is not available for us end consumers which is used by rack battery manufacturers to offer also a wide variety of inverter brand protocols and different model specific protocol versions like Growatt with one for the SPH and another one for ESF series.

Good luck !

Yes, more or less: I guess you want another battery that behaves like a Pylontech US 2000 that you can build on your own, right ?

If so, here is your general masterplan, what you will need to get it well done and then I will explain the details
#1 buy a SEPLOS BMS with the max current (A) the pylon tech are rated ( I do not have Pylontech, but I know my buddy)
#2 buy a Neey actice balancer (without you will not keep the cells together) if you get cells bigger than 50A
#4 take your Laptop or any windows 10 PC and connect it with the USB cable to RS485 they offer
#5 install the software they offer and then you have to choose the can bus protocol for Pylon Tech US 2000
#6 you can configure all the details like cut off voltage, over protection and many, many more this way

Purchases:
#1 get it from Alibaba where SEPLOS has a shop. This way their BMS is cheaper and better protected (by Aliexpress and PayPal) compared to an order from their own website where you have to ask for a quote and much more.
#2 EU customers and US customers (not so sure, but I guess) will get a quote based on ddp or ask for it cause that includes customs, tarifs and VAT / sales tax and shipping. the BMS is affordable, but 200€ or 200$ and 30$ for shipping sound way to much except you be aware that 30$ includes all the customs, tarifs, taxes and fees.
#3 if you order from Alibaba get the right version cause there are 20 or so different offers all looking pretty much the same, but are not the same. I strongly recommand to get the right current, then check for the size like 12 to 20S or so and get the bundle, which includes the display that shows all the data you want to see and you might wanna change later without the Laptop connection and THE CABLE ADAPTER the provide for 20$.
If you are familiar with IT and electronics then you have the change to save 17 $ or so and try to find a usb ftdi adapter to RS485/Can Bus which are usually 3 or 4$ / €.
If you prefer the safe side get the 20$ adapter cause you might need it more than once for example for firmware updates.

Andy, a german imigrant in Australia, has done a full documentation of a SEPLOS battery build using the case and the cells SEPLOS does offer as a full kit (rack battery 6,9 kWh) - but do not buy that cause the cells he had gotten were from 2019 so 3 years old.
BUT: to build this battery with all the parts SEPLOS has provided shows you all the details how to build your own battery and he has also done another video to explain the BMS and all its parameters in the PC Software and via Display Menu which is mandatory for the Kit buyers.

Attention: Andy has purchased 2 'batteriy solutions' that SEPLOS offers: the full kit incl. cells for a 6,9 kWh battery and another kit for one particular cell, the EVE LF280K with 280 Ah, he had to provide / buy on his own.
This will be his second build of a SEPLOS BMS but I guess this will provide maybe some more views.
Andy is a german professional and goes into all the details and checks everything.
He blames bad products and suppliers on his channel , but also offers help to the manufacturers that overpromise and did not deliver.
So you find on his channel a lot of active balancer videos and test, a lot of crap and bad like the one from Neey, but Neey asked him for help to improve the product and now he is quite happy.

This solution works if you connect the diy battery to a growatt inverter, but I bet it will need a free port to do so. I am not aware if and how you could stack the 2 pylons (which I assume do act as 1 battery with 1 canbus or RS485 cable) with the DIY battery. So check out if you have 2 canbus or RS 485 ports

Finally here is your choice of CAN BUS Protocols: Pylon Tech V1.3 should do the trick. View attachment 108599
I think you will need 2 can-bus ports on your inverter to get it done or your pylontech are building a chain with 2 port on each battery for canbus out and in and then you might be able to put all 3 in 1 chain but I have my doubts that this might work cause I bet the inverter wants to talk to each BMS directly and not over another BMS. So I am not the expert as you can see, but you might open a new topic about Pylon Tech and DIY built 'bundle' and how the can-bus should be working.

Here the links
FTDI adapter on german amazon but you will understand what you will need. Most likely cheaper on Ali Express

attention: this is the german description but you will find the description and you can switch the language in the upper right to english .

SEPLOS BMS by Andy - but this is in depth and takes about 1 hours with all its test if the BMS is working properly cut of voltage or low temperature warning and more.

I have searched for 6 months for a BMS that could handle the growatt canbus implementation and this was the only one. JK BMS claimed to have that too, a can bus port for growatt and I had bought the BMS from them. But at arrival it became obvious that they had fooled me and I had to search again till I found the SEPLOS. There is no other BMS that achieve this variety of inverter brands (and more than those mentioned in the table above). There is only 1 other BMS which is not available for us end consumers which is used by rack battery manufacturers to offer also a wide variety of inverter brand protocols and different model specific protocol versions like Growatt with one for the SPH and another one for ESF series.

Good luck !
This post is very helpful. I have received many quotes for rack batteries from Alibaba and was about to buy 3 48v 100ah for $3000 plus postage. I then thought I have no control over the cell grade and repairs may be difficult. I decided to get some quotes from recommended suppliers. 16 280ah Grade A sells $1584 plus postage, a big saving. So I decided to build. I watched Andy's video last night. The problems he had with the Seplos balancing put me off, but you provide the solution. I was about to do a search for a different Bms, but you've done that for me. If the Seplos can't balance cells above 50ah does it reduce the use of communication between the inverter and the battery?

Purchases:

Finally here is your choice of CAN BUS Protocols: Pylon Tech V1.3 should do the trick. View attachment 108599

Here the links

Good luck !
Thank you so much for such a detailed answer!
I have contacted the Alibaba sellers!

This post is very helpful. I have received many quotes for rack batteries from Alibaba and was about to buy 3 48v 100ah for $3000 plus postage. I then thought I have no control over the cell grade and repairs may be difficult. I decided to get some quotes from recommended suppliers. 16 280ah Grade A sells $1584 plus postage, a big saving. So I decided to build. I watched Andy's video last night. The problems he had with the Seplos balancing put me off, but you provide the solution. I was about to do a search for a different Bms, but you've done that for me. If the Seplos can't balance cells above 50ah does it reduce the use of communication between the inverter and the battery?
Sorry for the late reply.

It is a bit different depending on what you are planning but I guess you will go for 16 x 280 Ah cells in 1 battery , right?
Not 3 smaller as you had planned before, cause the SEPLOS system is not really ready to do a canbus connection communication you might be assuming, so avoid it for now. I mean do not build 3 batteries and hope to connect them to 1 inverter, cause the inverter will not be able to show these 3 batteries as one. There are some issues right now - if you follow Andys channel.

If you get just 1 battery then everything is fine.

In this case Andy from offgrid garage has a solution for you which he is using for exactly your scenario even though he is using it for his SEPLOS BATTERY BUILD kit (without cells, cause he is using his own).

In this series you will find a complain about the SEPLOS BMS not being capable to balance right or effectively.
His solution and mine too is a NEEY balancer he had also tested again the 4th time , I mean their 4 th version after his complaints before that their NEEY top balance had sucked.
Now you should get such balancer for about 100$ and that should provide 5 A max or so and he had checked them.
In my experience this new 4th generation is working quite well. You can watch it working and the energy is flowing via capacitor if I remember right, so this is not a burning of the top peaking cells but a recharching of weaker cells, if I remember right then just 1 cell at a time.

You should invest the 100$ for the Neey to avoid any trouble and to have balance these from time to time or permanently. This slows down the aging of the weakest cell cause it can not become such a fast runaway cell. Usually you have 12 at the same level 3 slightly above or below and 1 cell is a sprinter drifting faster and farer away than all the others.

But: if your project becomes a succes and you might think to expand the battery then be in time of about 1 year to get the next 16 cells cause then you can merge your current 16 cells with the new 16 cells (at least before they are 2 years old).
If you ever think to expand be in time with the expansion. These 32 cells will be build in 2 cells parallel, so a plus plus connection and 16 packs in series also called 16S2P . You will find pictures where you usually can see the 3 times longer bus bars with 4 wholes to connect 4 terminals.
You might have seen such build already. Your BMS will be capable to grow if you expand it in time .

Your final question about the 50A cells is not impacting the communication but the aging of your cells. It keeps them together while in other cases you will see such runaway cell be the first to peak every threshold which might stop the full battery from charging cause when just 1 cell hits the threshold of maybe 3,55V while the 15 others are still at 3,4V then this drifting cell will get faster and faster over time.
So use the saved money from the rack batteries and get your built right and safe.
Also pay attention for the right DC fuse switch, just for emergencies. If you have to turn off a battery / line under load then a light arc can appear that can burn bolts. Therefore those fuse automates that also can act as a swicht have a bigger extinguishing chamber than the AC ones you know from your home installation.

Regarding the price for 16 x 280 Ah it feels like EV LF 280 cells or EVE LF 280K cells.
Where had you purchased these cause depending on your postage this sounds quite good - have you bought them in the US or China ?

Last edited:
Any progress in making DALY working with Growatt inverters via can or rs485 ?
I trying this too. Two mounth and after sending protocol to bms...I dont know what must be. Inverter dont wont working with daly...
pin from 1,2 to 1,2 rs 485-nothing
pin from 1,2 to 4,5 rs 485/can nothing
pin from 4,5 to 4,5 can nothing
Maybe support gulwit ( growat can help )
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
1697140008219.png

Another factor with Growatt, is that 3000 limit is in nice optimal temperature. For example, if it drops below 15 degrees, it will be limited to 2.15. I don't know what happens if it gets colder, but 2.15 charge limit really sucks if you you are getting more from Solar and want that battery charged quickly in the winter months. I don't know what other brands are like, but I know Givenergy are better in this respect and allow over 3K even at 5 degrees.

Back