diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPH vs Solarassistant vs ME!

Ivanebc

Hi Gang.

Sorry my very first post here is troubleshooting but I've been using help from this site to get this up and running and felt like this would have been easy. Tripping on the final hurdle. Some background so you know where I'm at.

Inverter: Growatt SPH-5000TL BL-UP (Australian Model)
Batteries: 5 x Growatt ARK 2.5L-A1 (more coming)
Rpi3 B+
My own lying about 1 metre Ethernet cable
The correct CP2102 chip USB adaptor

I followed this link to construct everything
Which i believe come from here.

I used a forum post from here to learn and successfully set VPP Mode.

I'm pretty much stuck here on the SolarAssistant Configuration Page

Inverter​

Model: Growatt / Growatt SPH
USB ports: USB0 CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller

Reading from official solarassistant and other posts here. I've tried BOTH ports under my invertor 485-1 and 485-2
I have tried both pin 1 (red/white) and pin 4 (Blue) A+ on the USB adaptor. Current photo shows red/white (Red is hidden)

I'm attaching some pics...

EDIT: You do see the "tx" light flash intermittently through the casing of the USB adaptor.
EDIT 2: Growatt dongle with using Ethernet still attached!

Man, i gotta be close as i think i covered everything.

Attachments

• IMG_5598[1].JPG
    IMG_5598[1].JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5599[1].JPG
    IMG_5599[1].JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5601[1].JPG
    IMG_5601[1].JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5603[1].JPG
    IMG_5603[1].JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 4
  • noname.png
    noname.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Kept trying and solved it.. will leave this for others.

For some unknown reason, the "BLUE" and "WHITE/BLUE" when reversed made it all work.

Originally you had TX data connecting to TX data on the other side, same with RX to RX. By swapping one end, you have TX from one end talking to RX on the other end. Does that make sense? It’s called a null modem.

Originally you had TX data connecting to TX data on the other side, same with RX to RX. By swapping one end, you have TX from one end talking to RX on the other end. Does that make sense?
It makes sense.... i followed the pin connection outlined in the OP thread... but i think the mistake i made was i looked at the RJ45 plug upside down, so the pins were NOT reversed when they were meant to be.

Simple mistake and i had a feeling it was something simple as i seemed so close.

Thanks for your reply.

It makes sense.... i followed the pin connection outlined in the OP thread... but i think the mistake i made was i looked at the RJ45 plug upside down, so the pins were NOT reversed when they were meant to be.

Simple mistake and i had a feeling it was something simple as i seemed so close.

Thanks for your reply.
I edited my post to add what you did by making a crossover is called a null modem.

diy solar

diy solar
Back