diy solar

diy solar

Hacking the new Growatt WiFi-F modules

Hello everyone, good evening, there is the possibility of programming a shine wifi-x with the firmware of another version, for example my device is in version 3.1.0.5, but I have another one that is in version 3.1.0.0, do you know how to do it this downgrade? Because I noticed that the device is stuck with the 3 leds and does not accept the reset in any way. What I also noticed is that each device creates a wifi network to be programmed with the same SN code. Example if I have a device with the code ZOD8S920S it creates a wifi network with this same SN. So my question is if anyone knows how to change this, because I have several devices that after being updated for the version 3.1.0.5 stopped to work, and the LEDS are all on and do not work anymore, does not accepted the reset button. Please Help

Is the SPF 8000T DVM-MPV using the ShineWiFi-F dongle?

Looking at the board pictures in the original post, it looks like this is not a true USB device but mapping RS232 signals on a USB-A connector.

Is that correct?

MT
--

I overlooked post #10: it confirms the ShineWiFi-F dongle is not a true USB device.

Does anyone know if this dongle works with the Growatt SPF 8000T DVM-MPV?

MT
--

Wouldn't accept the code for port 23, just the ip worked (eg: 'telnet 192.168.10.52')
Here is the info it got.
Im having the same issue. cannot work out how to configure my graffana influx data source to work. Have the code on the stick pointing to my server IP but logs just show contsnat connection attempts

I also have two additional wifi dongles. They died but i can access the bootloader using the uart ok. How would I go about restoring an original firmware using platformio?

Some confusion here.

Does this make is so I can buy cheaper Arduino hardware and flash it to act like a ShineWifi module?

And if so will it work as a Shine WiFi -F ?

Or is this totally something else?

Last edited:
Some confusion here.

Does this make is so I can buy cheaper Arduino hardware and flash it to act like a ShineWifi module?

And if so will it work as a Shine WiFi -F ?

Or is this totally something else?
Im betting not.

What is your understanding of the github project and the purpose of this thread then?
The purpose of the thread is to highlight the work the original publisher and co-co contributors have undergone to implement a working firmware solution that allows the shine dongles to be modified in such a way that the hardware can be used and implement an alternative logging/monitoring solution similar to the Pi Solar Assist solution. It is a basis that inspires others and like myself an option for the failing growatt solutions

The purpose of the thread is to highlight the work the original publisher and co-co contributors have undergone to implement a working firmware solution that allows the shine dongles to be modified in such a way that the hardware can be used and implement an alternative logging/monitoring solution similar to the Pi Solar Assist solution. It is a basis that inspires others and like myself an option for the failing growatt solutions
Yes, I too am looking for a working/custom firmware solution but my understanding is this firmware solution can be installed on other hardware aside from the shine dongles. But I'm not sure if comptability will extend to the -F and LVM 48P

Yes, I too am looking for a working/custom firmware solution but my understanding is this firmware solution can be installed on other hardware aside from the shine dongles. But I'm not sure if comptability will extend to the -F and LVM 48P
The code will work on any ESP8266 based hardware, but your challenge will be with the serial interface and protocol.
The native UART serial RX/TX is not likely to work without an intermediate IC (like the SIPEX SP3232), whcih I believe is used as a level shifter in the WiFi-F.

The SPF 3000TL LVM-48P is a very different system to the SPF 3500/5000 ES models. A quick search suggested that its interface isn't RS-232, but RS-485 instead, so you'd need an appropriate driver IC (like the MAX485). I also couldn't find anything that confirmed the same MODBUS protocol is used on the LVM series, so there's not much evidence that this would work as-is.

Im having the same issue. cannot work out how to configure my graffana influx data source to work. Have the code on the stick pointing to my server IP but logs just show contsnat connection attempts
Have you installed InfluxDB on your server? Grafana is only the presentation layer, it also needs the database running separately to store all the metrics.
I've recently re-written the code to use the newer InfluxDB v2 protocol, which should make this easier to connect once you have InfluxDB running and the appropriate bucket/credentials created.

The code will work on any ESP8266 based hardware, but your challenge will be with the serial interface and protocol.
The native UART serial RX/TX is not likely to work without an intermediate IC (like the SIPEX SP3232), whcih I believe is used as a level shifter in the WiFi-F.

The SPF 3000TL LVM-48P is a very different system to the SPF 3500/5000 ES models. A quick search suggested that its interface isn't RS-232, but RS-485 instead, so you'd need an appropriate driver IC (like the MAX485). I also couldn't find anything that confirmed the same MODBUS protocol is used on the LVM series, so there's not much evidence that this would work as-is.
Thanks for that info, would I just be better off getting the Shine Wifi - F module or perhaps a third party solution of sorts? Was advised to look into this https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/energy/solar-panels/ and also found a few other third party tracking options that I'm still looking into. https://shop.emporiaenergy.com/products/gen-2-emporia-vue-with-16-sensors-bundle

Of course the cheaper, more private and robust option would be the idea but I'm not sure what strikes the balance yet.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info, would I just be better off getting the Shine Wifi - F module or perhaps a third party solution of sorts? Was advised to look into this https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/energy/solar-panels/ and also found a few other third party tracking options that I'm still looking into.

Of course the cheaper, more private and robust option would be the idea but I'm not sure what strikes the balance yet.
Unless you're comfortable with building your own hardware, power supply, serial interface and analysing/modifying code to suit your system, a solution that's already tested and designed to run with your specific AIO model is the way to go.

Have you installed InfluxDB on your server? Grafana is only the presentation layer, it also needs the database running separately to store all the metrics.
I've recently re-written the code to use the newer InfluxDB v2 protocol, which should make this easier to connect once you have InfluxDB running and the appropriate bucket/credentials created.
Yes, the issue i was having was the newer version of Influx didnt like the credentials i was pushing (v2) but once i worked out i could use the v1 shell and recreate the user account and password it was away. The newer influx also wasnt listening on the correct ports but after that it was away. Now im looking for a cheap option to replicate the data into a cloud hosted provider to be able to access it from anywhere.

Yes, the issue i was having was the newer version of Influx didnt like the credentials i was pushing (v2) but once i worked out i could use the v1 shell and recreate the user account and password it was away. The newer influx also wasnt listening on the correct ports but after that it was away.
Ah, that makes sense. Probably not such a concern for you now, however I've released a new version of the firmware that has native InfluxDB v2 support.

Now im looking for a cheap option to replicate the data into a cloud hosted provider to be able to access it from anywhere.
I've been using the built-in InfluxDB replication over WireGuard to keep a remote second copy of my metrics, it's worked really well and is free.

Last edited:
Ah, that makes sense. Probably not such a concern for you now, however I've released a new version of the firmware that has native InbluxDB v2 support.

I've been using the built-in InfluxDB replication over WireGuard to keep a remote second copy of my metrics, it's worked really well and is free.
NO battery yet in this system. but it cuts down on power usage during day. currently it is only running the fridge and my servers, not much. Im assuming the new code is on GITHUB already so ill have a peak. One of my other Growatt installs (SPF5000ES) went out in a boom yesterday :(

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 6.11.19 am.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 6.11.19 am.png
    460.4 KB · Views: 13
Yes, the issue i was having was the newer version of Influx didnt like the credentials i was pushing (v2) but once i worked out i could use the v1 shell and recreate the user account and password it was away. The newer influx also wasnt listening on the correct ports but after that it was away. Now im looking for a cheap option to replicate the data into a cloud hosted provider to be able to access it from anywhere.
Dont suppose you are working on any updates to be able to write the registers as well. Be nice to be able to backup a config and upload to a new device...Like i'll have to do shortly :)

Dont suppose you are working on any updates to be able to write the registers as well. Be nice to be able to backup a config and upload to a new device...Like i'll have to do shortly :)
No... that would be quite a different project. This one can write, though only to one register (inverter on/off). Reading a config and writing all values back would best be done through a different user interface.

Back