diy solar

diy solar

Growatt still giving "03" error (battery overcharged)

D. Abineri

My Growatt SPF 6000T DVM is repetitively shutting off solar input, beeping and then trying again. Seems to happen when the battery voltage gets to about 55.8V,100% SOC on my lifepo pack. I have all the parameters set using the recommended settings and I can't get it to stop this behavor. I am losing significant solar input because of this issue.

Any ideas are welcome.

Dave

Sounds like the BMS is shutting down, due to overvoltage protection.
Can you access the BMS information?

I am getting the same issue on my 6kw Growatt, w/ 4 206ah Lithium SOKs wired in series to 48v. One of the batteries is reading a bit high compared to the rest (13.5 vs. 13.3 on the rest of the batteries), but once the inverter reads 55.2, the system shuts down, cutting off all power, and then if I wasn't home, it would turn on and off all day. I can't really leave my system alone until I figure this out.

I did have one bad BMS but I replaced that and all others are fine, and I have Victron battery balancers which are supposed to help with the balancing of the load and charge. But so far, I haven't had success getting the inverter to stop shutting down once the batteries are charged....

Let me know if you find anything out and i'll do the same.

In setting 05 of the Growatt, I was not aware that USE was for when there IS communication between the BMS and the inverter. So, switching to US2 seemed to fix this.

Hope this helps.

I am getting the same issue on my 6kw Growatt, w/ 4 206ah Lithium SOKs wired in series to 48v. One of the batteries is reading a bit high compared to the rest (13.5 vs. 13.3 on the rest of the batteries), but once the inverter reads 55.2, the system shuts down, cutting off all power, and then if I wasn't home, it would turn on and off all day. I can't really leave my system alone until I figure this out.

I did have one bad BMS but I replaced that and all others are fine, and I have Victron battery balancers which are supposed to help with the balancing of the load and charge. But so far, I haven't had success getting the inverter to stop shutting down once the batteries are charged....

Let me know if you find anything out and i'll do the same.
Your situation is different. You have batteries in series.
You need to separate them and fully charge them separately.
This process will have to be repeated every few months. Because BMS controlled batteries in series will drift away from each other.

This process will have to be repeated every few months. Because BMS controlled batteries in series will drift away from each other.
Thanks. I just did that, got all 4 to ~13.3v ready by volt meter. So I was hoping it wouldn't do this on a day with full sun. Now I am looking into my Growatt settings: maybe adjust the float and charge settings from 57.4 to 55.5 charge, 55.0 float. I also read that lithium batteries can work on US2 or on USE in the 05 setting. Know anything about these settings? Thanks Tim!

Thanks. I just did that, got all 4 to ~13.3v ready by volt meter.
Not high enough for them to balance themselves.
Need to get above 13,8v minimum. I would recommend 14.4v for balancing.
And hold them there until amperage reduces to below 5 amps.
maybe adjust the float and charge settings from 57.4 to 55.5 charge, 55.0 float.
Also too low for balancing.
Balancing should begin above 3.45v per cell. (55.2v)
I float at 56v. But you can get by with 55.6v.

Not high enough for them to balance themselves.
Need to get above 13,8v minimum. I would recommend 14.4v for balancing.
And hold them there until amperage reduces to below 5 amps.

Also too low for balancing.
Balancing should begin above 3.45v per cell. (55.2v)
I float at 56v. But you can get by with 55.6v.
Thanks again. I do have 2 bench chargers that charge at 14.6 (I think) and once they read "Full or charged", I take the leads off and the battery reads 13.4. I was thinking this seemed low! Maybe I should leave the bench chargers on longer, idk? I have 4, SOK 206ah in series and they seem to not hold their charge that long (my off grid system averages 500 watts/hr for 24 hrs) and this system doesn't last through the night. Anyways, thanks Tim and Happy New Year

In setting 05 of the Growatt, USE is for when there IS communication between the BMS and the inverter.

No
It's for when you don't.
You are referring to the setting of "LI".
Which setting (LI, US2 or USE? It would seem I would want the BMS's in each battery communicating witheach other and the inverter. In that case, "LI 05"?

Which setting (LI, US2 or USE? It would seem I would want the BMS's in each battery communicating witheach other and the inverter. In that case, "LI 05"?
Oops, didn't see you answered earlier up top ("USE"). Thanks again! Hope this tinkering can get this system running properly! I have some rainy days ahead so I will charge them again individually with generator power (I am 100% off grid). Cheers~

LI , is for BMS communications.
Use , is for non communications.
Use2 , is not recommended for anything.

My Growatt SPF 6000T DVM is repetitively shutting off solar input, beeping and then trying again. Seems to happen when the battery voltage gets to about 55.8V,100% SOC on my lifepo pack. I have all the parameters set using the recommended settings and I can't get it to stop this behavor. I am losing significant solar input because of this issue.

Any ideas are welcome.

Dave
I am new to this but I have the same inverter and I had the same problem. I kept getting an overcharge error/fault (03). After the battery got full, I would get the beeping and the over voltage error and the panels would get disconnected from the battery, and the cycle would keep repeating itself unless I turned off the pv input. My guess is the BMS in the battery was turning off the panels to stop them from overcharging the battery. I searched this forum and a guy suggested changing the charging settings. It made sense because the fault is an overcharge fault so I expect that something was too high. I don't remember his name but he suggested changing settings 19, 20, and 21. This is what worked for me.

19. Bulk Charge- reduce to 3.5v per cell. The per cell is important because a 15 cell battery will have a different setting to a 16 cell battery. 3.5 x15 =52.5V. My battery is a 15S/15 cell . If you have a 16S, 3.5 x16 = 56V
20. Float Charge - 3.45V per cell, 3.45 x 15 =51.75V, if you have a 16S, 3.45 x16 =55.2V
21. Low DC cut off voltage - mine is set to 44V (Not so sure about this one)

Anyway, this is what got rid of that error. The answer is on here with a better explanation so just search the Growatt SPF6000T threads.

Back