diy solar

diy solar

Growatt vs. MPP Solar

DavidW

I have purchased a Li 48v battery bank for my Promaster van conversion. Trying to decide which all-in-one system to purchase. MPP 3048 LV-MK or Growatt 3kw 48v ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. David.

My understanding is they are very similar, built by the same company. I opted for the Growatt as the parallel card (I am using 2 for split phase) was included and Growatt is a larger brand. Ian at MPP Solar USA has both brands and is super helpful.

The single most important simple measure of an inverter's quality is its weight.

11.5kg

11.5kg

In comparison, a Victron 3K unit:
(not available in 120V)

Weighs 26kg - 126% heavier

What that tells you is that the MPP/Growatt units are cheaply made likely using multiple smaller transformers instead of one very large one. This inevitably leads to poor surge capacity and reduced life if operated at a higher percentage of the continuous rated power. This also means that their VALUE is dramatically lower than a higher end unit. Same argument as why LFP batteries may be cheaper in the long run vs. lead acid batteries' much lower acquisition cost.

COMMON to see the high end brands with installations that have been running trouble free for 20-30 years. No such reliability data on MPP/Growatt units.

To answer the question, they are both equally cheap. If the choice is between those two, pick the one that has the features you want. If they have the same features, pick on price/support.

The single most important simple measure of an inverter's quality is its weight

Weight is also a function of inverter topology; high frequency reduces the size of inductors. There are plenty of junk inverters out there that weight a ton ...

I'm in the process of adding solar to charge the 48v electric motor battery bank in my boat.

The Growatt I ordered arrived today and was just reading through the Manual. One issue I've found with it is that the preset "Lithium" option appears to ONLY WORK WITH Growatt lithium batteries. There is an option for a user-defined profile, and I think that would allow me to input suitable parameters for Lithium. The manual posted on line (version 1.0 - 40 pages) doesn't make this clear, but the one that came with the unit (version 2.0 - 45 pages) is more detailed about Lithium battery connection and communication.

However, I just went to check the MPP unit's manual and it doesn't have a Lithium preset at all. It has only the "AGM" and "Flooded" presets and the custom mode. So either unit, you will have to appropriately program to use your own Lithium batteries.

While the units are very similar, The Growatt does appear to have some extra features, and some of the specs appear to be marginally better. The main reason I got the Growatt was that the US importer had the Growatt available sooner.

Thanks to all for your recommendations. So I went with the Growatt, quality product from Ebay seller (diysolarinverters). In reading the manual, I'm kind of concerned that it implies only interfaces with Growatt Li batts...? I have non-Growatt LiFePho batteries, with their own BMS. Can anyone advise?

I have non-Growatt LiFePho batteries, with their own BMS. Can anyone advise
Set program #5 to USER which allows you to set voltage settings per your specific battery parameters.

I followed Will's recommended setpoints (See sticky post in LiFePO4 battery forum.)

Hope the Growatt works for you, so far I am impressed with mine.

Set program #5 to USER which allows you to set voltage settings per your specific battery parameters.

I followed Will's recommended setpoints (See sticky post in LiFePO4 battery forum.)

Hope the Growatt works for you, so far I am impressed with mine.
Trying to get mine set up. Are you maxed out on 2,000 watts PV?

I have the MPPLV2424 but am considering the Growatt as it appears to have a UPS function so the line charging will kick in when the battery drops below a certain setting. The MPP does not do this if there is no PV voltage (middle of night etc.) Can anyone confirm this?

Back