diy solar

diy solar

Is the EG4 worth the extra money for my needs?

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
So I'm considering re-designing my laundry room at the camp because I think the plan I have now will provide just enough power for a single load of laundry every 2 or 3 days and that's pushing the capabilities of the current config. So I've been thinking of stepping up to a 48v stand alone system in there since everything is 120v single phase.

I'm leaning towards a Vatrer 100Ah 16s rackmount battery because it has low temp protection and free shipping. I don't need coms or an app or interweb facepage tweeter posting and monitoring, just something I can leave on and walk away for months on end.

Currently I have:
2Kw Renogy 12v inverter
2x Vatrer 100Ah 12v batteries
Rich Solar 40a MPPT,
2x 250w panels

I'm up in the air on going for the MPP 3048 ($475) or the EG4-3Kw ($675) unit, but with my needs I can't see where the EG4 would be worth the extra $200+panels (about another $250) for the extra 2 panels I'd need to reach that minimum charging voltage.

Can anyone, especially anyone who has used either/both units, tell me why the EG4 would be the better value? Or should I just stick with the tried and true MPP 3048?

Or, considering the rest of the camp runs off of 24v, should I consider a Growatt SPF 3000-TL ($640) and use the existing 12v Vatrer batteries in a 24v or building out one of my 24v 280Ah banks I got from BatteryHookup and roll with that? I'd have to build a box, wire in a heater, convert to a 12v to feed the heater system, BMS, etc. It could easily be a spare for the cabin in a pinch...

Thoughts? Other options?

I believe this is an SRNE rebadge. Cheaper than the eg4 and idk anything about the mpp

Personally I'd buy an SRNE HYP 5Kw before the EG4 3Kw. It would likely be the same price if not cheaper.
Other members have also had great success with the 24V SRNE.
Some info in @Mattb4 s thread.

I believe this is an SRNE rebadge. Cheaper than the eg4 and idk anything about the mpp

I have this one that I'm playing around with. 38W idle draw. 24W ECO mode. Hungry little bugger, but typical of the class of AiO.

I'm in the process of using it to power my office with a near steady 300W draw.... about 7kWh/day. I have cells on order, and I have about 5kW of undeployed PV stacked in the back yard.

EDIT: I was curious, so I used my cheap digital o-scope to check its output, and the sine wave looked really clean (not enough hands to take a picture of it.

Last edited:
Back