diy solar

diy solar

Is this worth doing?

ColoradoRider

I have a 12-panel array that is ground mounted and fixed to a single direction (can't do a seasonal adjustment). My array has done a good job of keeping up with my power demands (we are completely off-grid), but there are times when we squeak by, or I have to run my generator. This happens maybe once every 2-3 months when we have three or more cloudy days.

I have 3 more panels that I can employ, and room in my combiner box for another line, so my system can handle the extra juice. Here where I live, we mostly start the day fairly clear, and then during the day the clouds will build up. A good example is what I'm expecting to happen this coming week. Clear to partly cloudy skies in the morning, full clouds and snow in the afternoon / evening.

My thinking is to employ these three panels and situate them so that they take full advantage of the morning sun. Rather than orient them to due south, I'll set them up on a separate rack that is angled to the southeast rather than due south. Does this sound like a good idea? My simple and inexperienced mind thinks so.

As long as the voltage from 3 panels is enough to make your MPPT run then yes, great idea.

See, this is why I had doubts. This entire field of endeavor has way too many variables for me to juggle in my simple mind. Now I have to figure out (I think) what the minimum amount of voltage (amps, ergs, knueter sparks, et all) is for my MPPT to kick in.

It consists of 360 w REC panels wired up in 3 strings of 4 panels each. Does that answer your question? Remember, you are dealing with a person who is a half step above a newbie.

4S3P. It will not work. The second array would need also be 4S to attach to the same MPPT.

You could add a dedicated MPPT for the 3 panels.

4S3P. It will not work. The second array would need also be 4S to attach to the same MPPT.

You could add a dedicated MPPT for the 3 panels.
The new string of three would be connected into the same combiner box (the box that all the other strings feed into). Does that make a difference?

Having to run the generator only every 2-3 months is pretty darn good!

I'm actually pretty damn happy with my setup and it's performance. During the night I drop less than 10% on my state of charge, more when it's really cold. Maybe 15%. My house is just under 1000 sqft, and is insulated to the beejesus.

I live up here on the western flank of Pikes Peak, just outside of Cripple Creek. I'm up at 9600 feet of elevation, and we get an ungodly amount of sunshine. Yes, I'm blessed!

I just thought of something. I should throw out the caveat that I also have 16 - 6 volt batteries. 8 are about a year old, the others are 4 years old. The system has been up and running for about a year now.

Last edited:
The new string of three would be connected into the same combiner box (the box that all the other strings feed into). Does that make a difference?
This is the reason that you need another panel.
Don't parallel a string of 3 with existing strings of 4.

All of the strings going into the combiner box need to be equal if they all go into the same MPPT. Or add a small MPPT to the system and connect the 3 panels to that.

Don't parallel a string of 3 with existing strings of 4.
Perhaps an explanation of what happens when you do this will help.

When combining strings in parallel, all the strings get their voltage dragged down to the lowest voltage string. The amps of course are added as usual.

So if you have 3x 4S strings producing 40V at 9A (360W), that is 160V.
If you combine that with a 3S string producing 120V, all strings become 120V.

So you currently have 3x 160V x 9A = 4320A

With your proposed addition of a 3S string, you'd end up with:
4x 120V x 9A = 4320A (the same output, i had to run that again!)

Perhaps an explanation of what happens when you do this will help.

When combining strings in parallel, all the strings get their voltage dragged down to the lowest voltage string. The amps of course are added as usual.

So if you have 3x 4S strings producing 40V at 9A (360W), that is 160V.
If you combine that with a 3S string producing 120V, all strings become 120V.

So you currently have 3x 160V x 9A = 4320A

With your proposed addition of a 3S string, you'd end up with:
4x 120V x 9A = 4320A (the same output, i had to run that again!)

This really is appreciated! I had not known that, but it makes complete sense. Fortunately, for me, I went down to the array to verify that I actually have 4 strings of 3 panels.

Back