diy solar

diy solar

Is the Victron Multiplus 12/2000 worth the extra bucks?

Divtruk

I am at the point in my build that I need to pull the trigger on a Victron Multiplus 2000w inverter/charger. This will be in a E250 van conversion. All I need is power to run a small microwave and a coffee maker (not at the same time). My brain is on overload from all the brands, features, opinions, etc. Most of the equipment I am installing is Victron. I just figured I would get a last few opinions before I spend the bucks.

Is the Victron worth the extra bucks?

Multiplus vs Multiplus compact? Any major advantages from one or the other?

Thanks for any input

I've yet to find a single feature that another system offers that Victron doesn't. Of course if you want the best you need to pay the most. Victron hands down is the best.

Reactions: JRH
Even their super beautiful lynx busbars aren't UL rated. How hard could it be to get those rated at least?

I just wish Victron would throw us Americans some more bones. They know we have NEC and UL nonsense we have to deal with over here.
Agree. They don't even support us grid for solar backfeeding for whatever reason.

With the 2000/12, it is 2000 VA, so it is 1600 watts continuous.

My 1200 watt cooking power microwave will pull about 1400 watts from the inverter, and 1600 watts from the battery, so under the limit that multiplus, but the BMS on a single battery or two could trip. You're talking a small microwave, so you will pull less than I stated.

I buy mostly Victron, except inverter, where I get Samalex for the RV and Victron for smaller 300 watt builds. Both are quality.

I am at the point in my build that I need to pull the trigger on a Victron Multiplus 2000w inverter/charger. This will be in a E250 van conversion. All I need is power to run a small microwave and a coffee maker (not at the same time). My brain is on overload from all the brands, features, opinions, etc. Most of the equipment I am installing is Victron. I just figured I would get a last few opinions before I spend the bucks.

Is the Victron worth the extra bucks?

Multiplus vs Multiplus compact? Any major advantages from one or the other?

Thanks for any input
I think they are worth it… got many pieces.. all do more than i ever expected..IMHO cost isn’t as important as results are when building somthing you depend on.
J.

The upper end microwaves are close to 1800 real watts of draw.

I would buy the 3000 size so that you get a real 2400 watts of power.

Or buy a US brand that is rated in watts instead of VA.

Personally I prefer dedicated inverters and separate chargers but that is just me and that cost even more to implement.

I am also a big fan of 24 volt for most mobile applications. The bulk of the items that are used in mobile are either dual 12 / 24 or available in 24 volt.

I am also a big fan of 24 volt for most mobile applications.
I like 24 volt also. IMO, 12 volts is fine for a microwave with properly sized wire if run to warm meals up, two minutes at a time, a few times a day, but not for something run 25 minutes at a time to cook frozen dinners for a family of four.

My microwave pulled 135 amps at 12 volts and 65 amps at 24 volts. Difference on wire size and heating with those.

The 12-volt stuff can be run off a converter.

. The bulk of the items that are used in mobile are either dual 12 / 24 or available in 24 volt.
I wish my RV had dual voltage items. I would not have 12 volts at all if that were the case. The only dual voltage item I have is some 12/24 volt lights I installed.

People... I'm going to say it again. Cut the shit about VA vs. Watts. Victron is the ONLY one that is honest about it. Go look in the data sheet for a Magnum or Outback, and guess what. Yep! You will see they're actually rated in VA even though they say Watts on marketing material. All inverter ratings are based on a power factor of 1.0, i.e., VA.

Victron also has notably high tolerance to overload. 30% overload for 30 minutes, but that may reduce based on inverter temperature.

1696650642765.png

Max power is 2X max continuous power.

Thanks for the input. I have pretty much decided to go with the Victron Multiplus 2000. 3000 would be overkill for my needs. Installing two 100 ah Lithium batteries. Still looking for the right deal for those.

Im running 2x older Renogy 100Ah batteries and Im wanting (needing) to go for 300Ah, now that the prices are coming down.

I will require 3x mini 100Ah so I can fit 3batteries in my underchassis tray. Otherwise, I need to build my own battery.

Why are all (most) of the 12V 300Ah batteries both expensive AND oversized?Not sure how the 3.2V 280Ah raw cells will result in a much smaller form factor in a DIY??

Im running 2x older Renogy 100Ah batteries and Im wanting (needing) to go for 300Ah, now that the prices are coming down.

I will require 3x mini 100Ah so I can fit 3batteries in my underchassis tray. Otherwise, I need to build my own battery.

Why are all (most) of the 12V 300Ah batteries both expensive AND oversized?Not sure how the 3.2V 280Ah raw cells will result in a much smaller form factor in a DIY??

I have a 24V 305 AH diy that sits on two group 27 trays.

For you that would be 710 Ah @12v with the size of 2 group 27's

Back