diy solar

diy solar

Victron Multiplus (surprisingly) couldn't handle this

I'm a bit late here but did you confirm it's not the batteries shutting down? Some have a short circuit protection that they recover from in a few seconds, so it looks like the inverter is shutting down but it's the battery.

Don't forget, most ratings on anything is while going down hill with a tail wind. Your mileage may vary, etc......
Honestly, I’m ok with it. Make sense being a LF inverter. I’d rather have the high surge capacity, reliability, and low idle consumption that is still fairly impressive with victron inverters. My 2kva multiplus lives at about 50-90w 8 months out of the year with occasional surges for the Fride, shop vac, and other miscellaneous power tools when I’m on site. I’m over paneled like crazy for the majority of the year. Come this summer when I try to keep the AC running in 120* heat for 3 months straight might be a different story.

I'm a bit late here but did you confirm it's not the batteries shutting down? Some have a short circuit protection that they recover from in a few seconds, so it looks like the inverter is shutting down but it's the battery.
I have not, but I had the same thought after a few days of thinking about the situation. From memory, I recall the inverter's overload light came on. These are three Amperetime 24V 100 AH batteries, paralleled onto a bus bar, so it's not like I can look at a screen or BMS info. This is the first and only thing I've tried with this inverter that won't run, so it doesn't warrant too much additional exploration in light of the mountain of other things I need to get done. But if/as I get more info, I'll try to make sure I report back. Thanks for the idea.

I have not, but I had the same thought after a few days of thinking about the situation. From memory, I recall the inverter's overload light came on. These are three Amperetime 24V 100 AH batteries, paralleled onto a bus bar, so it's not like I can look at a screen or BMS info. This is the first and only thing I've tried with this inverter that won't run, so it doesn't warrant too much additional exploration in light of the mountain of other things I need to get done. But if/as I get more info, I'll try to make sure I report back. Thanks for the idea.
Yeah I had a battery cutout problem myself. The easiest method to test it is probably to secure a multimeter to the bus bar and then watch the voltage while you do a shut down. If it's batteries it will go to zero or pretty low and come back.

Back