diy solar

diy solar

Multiplus overload questions

Sportzfann

I have recently installed a multiplus 2x120 3000w and I have solar installed.

Recently while on inverter, (I am boondocking) the wife will use the blow dryer 10 mins, or I will use the microwave to heat something for a minute or two.
the multiplus will trip off briefly and come back on at this time I’m sure due to overload, I was on the genny at this time, MP AC in set at 28.0A.
when I look at my phone app I see MP @2900+ w at this point.
The actual load to the trailer is only about 1500 w and I see the battery bulk-charging at about 80a. The battery volts before starting was about 13.3V
Can I adjust the settings in the MP to allow just the trailer panel load on the generator or reduce the charging load while the other high use appliances are running so the multiplus won’t trip off due to overload? I could then switch back after the high use appliances are finished?
I love being able to use the 120 v devices while boondocking, I know I could put in a transfer switch but didn’t want to go there if I don’t have to.
Still learning about this unit and all it can do Thanks, Sportz 😀

Recently while on inverter, (I am boondocking) the wife will use the blow dryer 10 mins, or I will use the microwave to heat something for a minute or two.
the multiplus will trip off briefly and come back on at this time I’m sure due to overload, I was on the genny at this time, MP AC in set at 28.0A.
The actual load to the trailer is only about 1500 w and I see the battery bulk-charging at about 80a. The battery volts before starting was about 13.3V
Can I adjust the settings in the MP to allow just the trailer panel load on the generator or reduce the charging load while the other high use appliances are running so the multiplus won’t trip off due to overload? I could then switch back after the high use appliances are finished?
I love being able to use the 120 v devices while boondocking, I know I could put in a transfer switch but didn’t want to go there if I don’t have to.

the multiplus will trip off briefly and come back on at this time I’m sure due to overload,

Important to establish why.

blowdryer + 1000W microwave is likely 3100W+

I was on the genny at this time, MP AC in set at 28.0A.

Do you have powerassist enabled?

What is your generator power?
What is your generator output current limit?

Can I adjust the settings in the MP to allow just the trailer panel load on the generator

Disable the charger manually.

or reduce the charging load while the other high use appliances are running so the multiplus won’t trip off due to overload?

lower charging current.

I could then switch back after the high use appliances are finished?

it sounds like something is up. You might also want to lower your AC input current

Also, don't run the hairdryer and microwave at the same time without having the generator on.

What kind of generator?

Is the MP sensitive to voltage dip as the generator tries to pick up the load? I wonder id you scale it down to 15a, the generator won’t be as stressed.

Also, don't run the hairdryer and microwave at the same time without having the generator on.
Sorry, wasn’t clear I don’t run both at same time.
I first thought because it was charging in bulk mode @80.0 A and supporting the blow dryer, it went to overload.
I did have the max AC in set to 28 A. I guess I can just switch to inverter only and it is fine for short periods of use. But wanted to see if some other settings would get around that, like lower the charging amount during appliance use, then return to full charging.?

What kind of generator?

Is the MP sensitive to voltage dip as the generator tries to pick up the load? I wonder id you scale it down to 15a, the generator won’t be as stressed.
Champion 4K 3600w inverter genny. With Progressive dynamic 30a EMS

It’s set at 28.0A. I tried changing that to 15.0 but didn’t seem to make a difference still charging at 80+ amps in bulk mode. Once it’s at absorption mode it drops down

Just lower the battery charging amperage.

So understand if the multiplus is shutting down its due to low battery voltage or overload when the generator is OFF

The mutiplus is allowing the full generator amperage to pass through into the coach.

Actually, what generator do you have?

I first thought because it was charging in bulk mode @80.0 A and supporting the blow dryer, it went to overload.
I did have the max AC in set to 28 A. I guess I can just switch to inverter only and it is fine for short periods of use. But wanted to see if some other settings would get around that, like lower the charging amount during appliance use, then return to full charging.?

The MP should balance charging with passthrough, i.e., 28A input @ 120V is 3360W.

charging + loads < 3360W

If you're charging at 13.8V @ 80A, that's 1104W leaving 2256W for passthrough. Of course, the charger isn't 100% efficient. So you're consuming more than 1104W of your AC in - maybe 1300W.

Again, is powerassist enabled?

So, let's start from scratch. What generator do you have?

The mutiplus will do exactly what you're asking of it (cut charging) and actually assist the generator if needed.

The MP should balance charging with passthrough, i.e., 28A input @ 120V is 3360W.

charging + loads < 3360W

If you're charging at 13.8V @ 80A, that's 1104W leaving 2256W for passthrough. Of course, the charger isn't 100% efficient. So you're consuming more than 1104W of your AC in - maybe 1300W.

Again, is powerassist enabled?
Yes power assist comes on for a short period then goes to inverter I believe.
blow dryer about 1400W and microwave 1500w

A sudden inverter AC output load surge current will momentarily leak through to generator, possibly overloading generator causing it to slump, in turn causing inverter to release from generator.

Victron allows you to set maximum AC input current limit. It will limit the load on generator, but a sudden AC output load surge will leak through to generator for a moment until inverter reacts and supplements AC output load current.

Victron has power Assist feature, when activated, it measures the rate of increase in AC load current and starts inverter battery power supplementing of AC output load before the AC input current limit is reached. This gives it a jump on supplementing AC output surge loads instead of having to wait until AC input current limit setting is reached.

When load settles down, if settled load current is less than user set AC input current limit it will back down inverter battery powered supplementing of AC output allowing generator to take the total AC output load.

AC output load has priority so charging power will automatically be backed down to stay within AC input current limit setting.

Just lower the battery charging amperage.

So understand if the multiplus is shutting down its due to low battery voltage or overload when the generator is OFF

The mutiplus is allowing the full generator amperage to pass through into the coach.

Actually, what generator do you have?

Attachments

• IMG_3776.jpeg
    IMG_3776.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 6
Power assist: On
A/C input limit: 30 amps
Charging Amps Max (probably 70).

You'll be able to blow-dry and make a hot pocket at the same time if the generator is on, no problem.

I think what you're seeing is low battery voltage.

Not overload of the Multiplus but that will get logged in the Victron Connect.

Yeah I mean really starting front scratch, the multiplus will tell you why it kicked off.

Overload, low battery etc

I ran it this morning in inverter mode only and it worked fine (blow dryer )it didn’t trip the MP I then placed it back to on position and started the generator to charge the battery for a little while. The solar can finish topping off the batteries when get some sunlight.

Back