diy solar

diy solar

Hail damage to roof

a619

Solar Enthusiast
We had a bad hail storm recently with 1.5" hails dropping for almost 10 minutes. Somehow, all of my ~50 panels survived the hail barrage, but unfortunately a lof of shingles didn't. Now I need to replace my 4 years old roof and need to pay someone to remove and reinstall panels.
I'm taking this opportunity to relocate some of the roof vents so that my panel layout cleans up some more. Is there anything else I need to be concerned about? Around half of the original system install was DIY and the company that installed rest of it is out of business, so I'm not really concerned about any warranty issues.

if hail of this level is a common or semi common occurrence I would go with a metal roof and just paint the exposed portions every 3-4 years. we have a metal roof on our primary house with 8kw of panels.

we just paint the parts that are not under the panels as the roof under the panels does not receive direct sun or rain, so degradation is essentially zero for the covered portions.

you can get double walled sheet metal roofs with xps style insulation between them to help insulate and to help quiet it down, as a tin roof is louder when it rains or hails. but with the insulation its not an issue and its warmer in winter, cooler in summer to boot.

just my ¥2.9 worth of advice.

I’m an insurance adjuster, former roofer and DIY solar install on my house. I would strongly advise you have the roofing company coordinate with installers for the panels. There’s a chance the roofers could set the flashing as they install the shingles making the rails much easier to install later. Also, I wouldn’t even consider a sheet metal / barn style roof unless you have a simple gable 4/12 pitch roof. Metal 26g panels I see hail damaged nearly every week. They really aren’t stronger than a decent comp roof. Solar panels are very hail resistant and can handle massive hail before they get damaged.

Feel free to dm me questions

Back