diy solar

diy solar

Change to panels and IFC 605.11 question

Jdcarrol

I hired someone to create a design plan for my solar panels. They used a satellite image, so the measurements aren't exact. I'm attaching a picture of the proposed layout. It shows 4 panels in a string running over a flat patio roof. However, instead of placing another row of panels on the patio, I'd like to put them on the west side of the sloped roof. There's enough space, and the panels would reach the end of the pitched roof where it meets the flat patio roof. I'm following the IFC 605.11 guidelines in the picture.

My question is: are there any building codes or standards that would prevent me from having solar panels extend to the edge of a pitched roof where it meets a flat patio roof?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-02 124524.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-02 124524.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 4
Hey @sunshine_eggo , I'm attaching a new screenshot that have lines to the area where I'd like the panels to go now.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-02 124524.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-02 124524.png
    105.1 KB · Views: 6
Hey @sunshine_eggo , I'm attaching a new screenshot that have lines to the area where I'd like the panels to go now.

I'm not aware of any limits that would prevent this. If they didn't fit in the current orientation, it appears they could be turned 90° fit that way.

Important that all panels in a string be facing the exact same direction, so moving those four to that location may be advantageous if the patio is at a different angle than the adjacent 10 panels and are in the same string.

Thanks, and I have the same understanding of the panels in a given string being at the same angle/direction. The plan was for those 4 440w panels to be on their own string....but we can actually make it work to have them added as shown.

Back