diy solar

diy solar

Hail damage

highestbid

I had planned to put up panels late last year but the weather here has been a b!#ch so I put it off. Now I am facing replacing my roof for the second time in as many years due to hail damage. I am starting to wonder if I just live in a bad area for solar. Pretty sure I dont want to mount them on the roof itself but maybe there is still hope with an adjustable ground mount so that I could go vertical and maybe mitigate some of the damage.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Jerry

While I have solar mini splits, this is holding me back as well. I'm waiting (? ⚡ ⛈️ ) for a hailstorm to roll thru and see how panels (I have ground mount) really put up with 1" hail as advertised.

I know people will say "Insurance", and that's all well and good, but who really enjoys dealing with THOSE A-Holes ?? Would rather survive unscathed.

map-hail_risk.png

Is that an insurance map or from a weather site?

curious effect at the north carolina / virginia border
similarly, georgia and alabama
probably not a physical effect, but a reporting difference

I know people will say "Insurance", and that's all well and good, but who really enjoys dealing with THOSE A-Holes ?? Would rather survive unscathed.

IMO, if you have hail bad enough to damage the panels. your roof and other items are going to have issues too requiring a call to the insurance company anyway.

I have had a few hail storms. One required new roof, but the panels on my shed roof were fine. Another time I had no house roof damage, but had a few panels damaged (along with a few other outdoor items). They covered the panels under "personal property".

I have had a few hail storms. One required new roof, but the panels on my shed roof were fine. Another time I had no house roof damage, but had a few panels damaged (along with a few other outdoor items). They covered the panels under "personal property".
Interesting info, and that's what I understood they WILL cover them without a rider ($). I doubt that will last though? Guess it, as always, depends on their losses.

We lose an insurance company every year down here is South East Texas. Floods and storms have just made it unprofitable, or so they claim. Down to just a handful left -- then what?

How many panels are we talking?

Panels themselves are relatively cheap. I would just self insure and keep spares/ buy extra in case they quit making your model.

Keeping them vertical on a pole mount might help during storm season.

Back