diy solar

diy solar

Ham Radio and Inverters

hagensieker

Solar Enthusiast
I've really been around and around trying to figure out how to have a relatively noise free environment while running a solar inverter and shortwave radios at the same time.

The first conclusion I have come to is for small radios with their own aerial in the same or next room as the inverter..........you can't. It is simply too noisy on AM radio and lower short wave bands.

I started with a Giandel 2000 watt and it was terrible with RF emissions. It sprayed RF all over the place.

Then I read that Samlex Inverters were way better with RF. So I dropped $550 for one. Once again my AM bedside radio was blasted with RF. Unusable. Then I hooked that radio to an outdoor antenna and it was greatly improved.

Then instead of using a shortwave radio (I have MANY) I used a shielded RTL-SDR device. An SDRPlay RSPdx. Then I hooked it to an outdoor antenna and there is almost no RF interference at all. All you can see are the signals in the pic below. No hash or interference or floor noise much between the signal peaks.

Samlex.jpg

By the way, how many of you know that AM radio signals travel for hundreds and sometimes thousands of miles at night? There are a lot of high power (clear channel, 50,000 watts) radio stations.

At any rate here is what I have learned in a nutshell.

- The Samlex inverters are way better than Giandel as it relates to RF emissions.
- Better does not mean perfect. A nearby AM radio or shortwave radio up to about 7 MHz with an indoor aerial will experience severe interference.
- A shielded RTL-SDR device can eliminate most of the remaining RF interference.
- I have several shortwave receivers and best results are obtained when the Solar Inverter is turned off when I am trying to dig signals out of the muck. They are quite useable above 5 MHz 99% of the time. Also as an interesting note the power supply at the left of the picture below is really noisy as it relates to RF as well. I have it hooked to one radio as a power source. Bad idea.

IMG_8191.jpeg

- While it is fun to play with the old shortwave radios, in a grid down situation when the solar HAS TO POWER THEM, an RTL-SDR device will need to be used. For the most part the SDR's are technically superior to the old boat anchors but not as much fun.
- Need to get some ferrite chokes to see if the RF can be reduced further.
- Greater distance to the antenna improves the situation.

Last edited:
And as you likely know, ferrites are your friend. Choke the bejeesus out of all leads.

Group 31 and 43 are the best mixes for the frequencies we are most interested in. See here:

My Magnum inverter is pretty darn quiet. I can see it with a spectrum analyzer hooked up to my loop antenna but it isn't enough to cause any problems. My Midnite Classic 150 makes some hash on 80 meters but since 80 is mostly a night band it doesn't bother me and I haven't ever tried to mitigate it. I have a WIFI router that cause some interference on 70cm bit so far I just live with it.

I've really been around and around trying to figure out how to have a relatively noise free environment while running a solar inverter and shortwave radios at the same time.

The first conclusion I have come to is for small radios with their own aerial in the same or next room as the inverter..........you can't. It is simply too noisy on AM radio and lower short wave bands.

I started with a Giandel 2000 watt and it was terrible with RF emissions. It sprayed RF all over the place.

Then I read that Samlex Inverters were way better with RF. So I dropped $550 for one. Once again my AM bedside radio was blasted with RF. Unusable. Then I hooked that radio to an outdoor antenna and it was greatly improved.

Then instead of using a shortwave radio (I have MANY) I used a shielded RTL-SDR device. An SDRPlay RSPdx. Then I hooked it to an outdoor antenna and there is almost no RF interference at all. All you can see are the signals in the pic below. No hash or interference or floor noise much between the signal peaks.

View attachment 10312

By the way, how many of you know that AM radio signals travel for hundreds and sometimes thousands of miles at night? There are a lot of high power (clear channel, 50,000 watts) radio stations.

- The Samlex inverters are way better than Giandel as it relates to RF emissions.
- Better does not mean perfect. A nearby AM radio or shortwave radio up to about 7 MHz with an indoor aerial will experience severe interference.
- A shielded RTL-SDR device can eliminate most of the remaining RF interference.
- I have several shortwave receivers and best results are obtained when the Solar Inverter is turned off when I am trying to dig signals out of the muck. They are quite useable above 5 MHz 99% of the time. Also as an interesting note the power supply at the left of the picture below is really noisy as it relates to RF as well. I have it hooked to one radio as a power source. Bad idea.

View attachment 10313

- While it is fun to play with the old shortwave radios, in a grid down situation when the solar HAS TO POWER THEM, an RTL-SDR device will need to be used. For the most part the SDR's are technically superior to the old boat anchors but not as much fun.

I can't quite agree with all that. Even the shielded RTL SDR can pick up noise through the antenna. Proximity is a big factor, if the antenna is far away from the noise it will be better. But the better your antenna is the weaker a signal it will pick up. Radios with an internal antenna may or may not have a problem, depending on antenna type and proximity. I use a number of different radios from old tube types to modern transceivers. I also have an SDRPlay RSP2. A lot depends on the quality of the radio. I have a Telefunken Gavotte made around 1957, all tube and it is so sensitive and selective that it does pretty well with its internal antenna. Sometimes the external antenna actually negatively affects the signal to noise ratio. On my communications receivers there is often an attenuater that helps with that. It is counter intuitive to attenuate the incoming signal but it often helps. With the radio I use on my 650' loop antenna I have the attenuater on pretty much all the time. Pre-amps usually make things worse unless the ambient noise level is low and they are located right at the antenna.

Grid down should be the BEST time to DX! All of those local noise makers in your neighborhood will be shut down! In my case it makes little difference as I am off the grid and a long ways from the nearest power line anyway but my ham buddies in town love it when the grid is down. One thing that can make a big difference is running the radio from a battery. Your solar power system should not and does not have to wipe out RF reception. Mine certainly doesn't. I'm not saying there is no noise (as noted above my Midnite Classic makes hash on 80 meters) from a solar power system but if it is causing wide band hash then it is there is a problem.

As to SDRs always being superior, I don't agree with that at all. Like any other radio it depends on how well it was made in the first place. A good superhet with a good front end will beat the pants off a cheap SDR dongle in sensitivity, selectivity and audio quality. A good direct conversion receiver like the IC-7300 can be just as good or better as it does have a decent front end PLUS the digital filters that SDR makes possible. Take a look at the FLEX radios, they are SDR and amazing but they aren't cheap. Personally, I find the audio quality of my RSP2 to be fatiguing over long periods so what I do is use it to find something cool I want to listen to and the dial it up on a real radio.

The biggest problem with SW listening right now is that the sun cycle is in the toilet so propagation sucks. That and the fact that there is less and less programming on SW as station after station shuts down. Still super fun to poke around and find weird things like pirate stations or numbers stations. You can't beat a SDR for that as you can see wide swaths of frequencies and can easily spot signals you would have missed spinning the dial.

Thanks for all that. I have a FRG-7 and an iCom R75 and a new Alinco. FRG-7 works best when the inverter is on.

I think the new iteration of SDR's such as RSPdx, RSPduo and Airspy Discovery HF+ are superior to my boat anchors for sensitivity and selectivity. I want to get some old Mil-Spec embassy gear though.

The FRG-7 is a cool radio. If I recall it can be run from the mains or from a battery. I'd love to have one. I wonder if the alignment needs a touch up? I have never had one but I have always heard good things about them.

I agree that direct conversion receivers are the way of the future. Partially because they are cheaper and partially because you can do so much with them in software. I still don't like the audio quality and my FT-991 is a much better receiver than my RSP2.

I have given up on DX‘ing in the sub 30Mhz bands due to sun spot cycles and all kinds of QRM being generated around my home - my switch mode PSU does not help either :confused:. The static runs at S5 and to lift a signal out of the soup without a directional antenna ( using a trap vertical as I am in a complex with restrictions ) is impossible. How I miss my 3 element Yagi at 22m. Happy DX’ing and 73’s . Pierre ZS1AP

It's a good time to work on your low band DX'ing. I finished off DXCC on 160m, over 130 on 80m and trying to get over 200 on 40m and 30m now.

Mainly CW and FT8 (which feels like cheating a bit).

It's a good time to work on your low band DX'ing. I finished off DXCC on 160m, over 130 on 80m and trying to get over 200 on 40m and 30m now.

Mainly CW and FT8 (which feels like cheating a bit).
Good going JoeHam. I am out of things a bit these days as my Kenwood TS130S finally packed up and must still decide to spend money on a new rig as our monopoly money is worth nothing against the mighty $.

Pierre, don't give up on the local noise level. Get a radio on battery power, better yet an SDR and turn the all the breakers to the house off. Flip on each breaker in turn and find the guilty party(ies). Then find ways to mitigate, which could be replace, add ferrites, have an easy off switch with the noise makers on it. Someone close to you has a used rig they want to sell if you look. Never give up on your right to DX, my brother! :)

Pierre, don't give up on the local noise level. Get a radio on battery power, better yet an SDR and turn the all the breakers to the house off. Flip on each breaker in turn and find the guilty party(ies). Then find ways to mitigate, which could be replace, add ferrites, have an easy off switch with the noise makers on it. Someone close to you has a used rig they want to sell if you look. Never give up on your right to DX, my brother! :)
Thanks Boondox , you give me new hope. Must really get my head back in the game. I have a fond memory of sitting in my vehicle , in the early 80’s , on the south coast and dx’ing with a Russian ham on the Antartica base. 73’s

Where there is a will there is a way Pierre.

I currently DX (and contest a little) from an off grid shipping container outside of town in AZ.

Elecraft KX3 and KXPA100 powered by 12v nominal LiFePO4. I can add a KPA500 amplifier powered from a 48v nominal LiFePO4 powered by a 3KW pure sine inverter.

The equipment is a bit better than my sketchy Novice station in 1972 ! The fun factor is still the same !!

Thanks Boondox , you give me new hope. Must really get my head back in the game. I have a fond memory of sitting in my vehicle , in the early 80’s , on the south coast and dx’ing with a Russian ham on the Antartica base. 73’s

Great contact! I once heard a Russian voice on my radio, looked up and saw I was on the ISS frequency. I grabbed the mic and talked to a cosmonaut! He was getting ready for one of their school contacts.

Let us know if you get back on the air and good luck.

Great contact! I once heard a Russian voice on my radio, looked up and saw I was on the ISS frequency. I grabbed the mic and talked to a cosmonaut! He was getting ready for one of their school contacts.

Let us know if you get back on the air and good luck.
What a great QSO ! Will certainly let you guys know of developments this side. Thanks for the encouragement. Was offered a Kenwood TS830S for about $170 . I always liked Kenwood but do not know this rig. Any quirks ?

No familiar with that rig so I looked it up. Neat rig with tube finals. The final tubes are available both NOS and new made by Taylor in China. If it fires up and works perfectly I'd say that $170 is on the high end of OK. If the tubes are weak that is more than I'd say was fair. Is the display bright? If so an indicator of less hours as it looks to be a VFD. Do you have a watt meter to bring with you? Is it from a friend or a stranger? Any spare tubes?

If you do buy it, make sure to get the final adjustment procedure down.

EDIT: Also, I was thinking US dollars. That may make a difference.

I had an 820 for a while after upgrading from the 520 and liked both rigs. Basically solid state rigs with tube finals.

My friend had the 830 and I was always envious of the digital display.

If it has the filters that is a plus. Here are some on Ebay for comparison.

Thanks for all the info and feedback , guys. The pointers are really appreciated and I am in contact with the seller who is about 800km away. He just sold another 830s with matching external speaker and auto antenna tuner for about $450 ( our Rands converted ) which I missed. Will report back soon.

I had an 820 for a while after upgrading from the 520 and liked both rigs. Basically solid state rigs with tube finals.

My friend had the 830 and I was always envious of the digital display.

If it has the filters that is a plus. Here are some on Ebay for comparison.

If it is a Kenwood TS-830S "Gold Label", it comes factory equipped packed with all filters. I am fortunate enough to have Gold Label in the shack, and will be in my will...? 73 de Mike.

View attachment 10312

View attachment 10313

Any modified sine-wave inverter is likely to spray harmonics all over the MW and SW bands.

Any modified sine-wave inverter is likely to spray harmonics all over the MW and SW bands.

I think it depends more on the design. I had a Trace 2512 modified sine wave inverter for many years and it was pretty good about spewing RF. These days I am guessing that only cheapie manufacturers are making modified sine wave inverters and so they probably do all spew RF. Modified sine doubtless creates more harmonics and hash but good engineering can suppress it.

Where there is a will there is a way Pierre.

I currently DX (and contest a little) from an off grid shipping container outside of town in AZ.

Elecraft KX3 and KXPA100 powered by 12v nominal LiFePO4. I can add a KPA500 amplifier powered from a 48v nominal LiFePO4 powered by a 3KW pure sine inverter.

The equipment is a bit better than my sketchy Novice station in 1972 ! The fun factor is still the same !!
Joeham. What 3KW pure sine inverter are you using in your shipping container to operate your KPA500? How's the RFI from it? Is it 12v?

diy solar

diy solar
Back