diy solar

diy solar

Hello all. New here. I desperately need your help into finding a solution to my situation.

Shinikamy

Hi.

I have been working on this for the last 2 years yet i am encountering serious issues. Initially i bought a 20 kw system off-grid. 10kw wind turbine and 10 kw solar panels on 240VDC.
i have 40 batteris of 12 V 200 Ah, 20 supposed to go to the wind turbine and 20 to the solar panels on a 240VDC system. I also have (had) a 20KW inverter that wasn't properly assembled and from what i can tell, the micro-processor (due to a lose wire) blew up. obviously at this point some of you can tell that this system is from china...besides this unfortunate circumstance everything else seems fine...(batteris, controllers, solar panels). Recently i have aquired more solar panels and i will have 25.5kw on a huawei on grid inverter and will like to put the remaining panels and the turbine to charge the batteris.
what is the best solution to utilize that battery power?
i have lots of 48VDC equipment but my issue is with the turbine because it is so big that i cannot utilize it on 48V. I had an attempt with a made up box to step it down to 48 but that blew up as well...
I need some brain power to help me out with this. Can i fix the broken inverter? can I buy a new one?(kinda expensive and not easy to get where im at which in turn makes it even more expensive)
i have been agonazing for the past 2 years without solutions...i can provide pictures, answers anything you ask me...please help me....
thanks in advance.

You didn't go into detail about what your batteries actually are, but at this stage before you go into anything further, you'll procure an ac charger appropriate for your battery, and charge each of those 40 batteries *individually* before proceeding any further.

Once you have done that, you can place them back into the series/parallel service, and can tackle the other issues. If you don't, you'll be chasing your tail.

Are you saying you ordered all this stuff without knowing how to use them ? We don't know what you are trying to achieve, what's your needs.

Hi.

I have been working on this for the last 2 years yet i am encountering serious issues. Initially i bought a 20 kw system off-grid. 10kw wind turbine and 10 kw solar panels on 240VDC.
i have 40 batteris of 12 V 200 Ah, 20 supposed to go to the wind turbine and 20 to the solar panels on a 240VDC system. I also have (had) a 20KW inverter that wasn't properly assembled and from what i can tell, the micro-processor (due to a lose wire) blew up. obviously at this point some of you can tell that this system is from china...besides this unfortunate circumstance everything else seems fine...(batteris, controllers, solar panels). Recently i have aquired more solar panels and i will have 25.5kw on a huawei on grid inverter and will like to put the remaining panels and the turbine to charge the batteris.
i have lots of 48VDC equipment but my issue is with the turbine because it is so big that i cannot utilize it on 48V. I had an attempt with a made up box to step it down to 48 but that blew up as well...
I need some brain power to help me out with this. Can i fix the broken inverter? can I buy a new one?(kinda expensive and not easy to get where im at which in turn makes it even more expensive)
i have been agonazing for the past 2 years without solutions...i can provide pictures, answers anything you ask me...please help me....
thanks in advance.
Ok, first let's get some brands, battery types, pictures etc.

Would this inverter happen to be a powerjack? Have you contacted the seller for a replacement?

Where in the world are you, and what voltage do you operate at?

Are you saying your inverter was on 12V?

You didn't go into detail about what your batteries actually are, but at this stage before you go into anything further, you'll procure an ac charger appropriate for your battery, and charge each of those 40 batteries *individually* before proceeding any further.

Once you have done that, you can place them back into the series/parallel service, and can tackle the other issues. If you don't, you'll be chasing your tail.
The same thing occurred to me.

And I'd go a few steps further to take the time label the batteries and log thier resting voltages. Some may be gone already.

In the name of triaging the situation quickly you should completely eliminate the wind turbine out of any future plans. Sell it and the tower ASAP and use the money to buy a bunch of decent battery chargers so you aren't spending the next two months trying to get the batteries charged back up.

Safety warning: 240vdc battery banks are not something to be messing around with unless you have the proper training and gear. Most us here (including me) are not qualified to advise you on the battery bank.

Recently i have aquired more solar panels and i will have 25.5kw on a huawei on grid inverter and will like to put the remaining panels and the turbine to charge the batteris.
What country are you in? In the US, mixing the equipment you mentioned with on-grid could be some big permitting challenges, especially in the more populated areas of the US that are sticklers to NEC code and inspections.

those batteries are full. lets say charging them wont be an issue. thats besides the point. i had them wired in 48V for 2 years for a previews system i had. i can balance them and makes sure they will all be all right.

what im trying to achive is the following: have power during day and night for free...LOL
im will become a prosumer in the near future. that means i will utilize whatever i produce and whatever excess i have i will be dumping it into the grid to take it whevener theres no sun or in winter days. however the grid is not always perfect and reliable....i want to have the wind turbine and the remaining solar panels to charge the batteris and provide energy to my pool pumps, dehumidifiers and other stuff that function for close to 24h/day....we get often disconnected from the grid for brief moments enough to screw with my security cameras...i want the batteris(worth of 100kw) to provide a backup for the night hours or in case of grid failure.

nothing is of brand...its chinese stuff...batteris are gel batteris 12V 200 Ah
i dont know what a powerjack is...i will rpovide pictures of the invertor when i get there...right now is sunday night and im going away for monday and will return tuesday there.
I am in Romania we operate on 240V
inverter was/is 240VDC input 240VAC output 20kw.
I cannot eliminate the wind turbine...thats the whole point im trying to acomplish....
I will not use the wind turbine on grid ...i will only use it off grid so no messing with permits and stuff.
thanks to everyone for such fast responses

those batteries are full. lets say charging them wont be an issue. thats besides the point. i had them wired in 48V for 2 years for a previews system i had. i can balance them and makes sure they will all be all right.

Sorry - but that is not part of the give-n-take bargain with advice. Just because they worked for 2 years, doesn't mean we know you are actually taking care of them, and after say 300+ messages on how to get your system working with the other problems, the batteries fail 6 months from now. Wasted effort on both our parts.

It also reveals a willingness to hide details from us, further hampering efforts to know if you might be actually following any advice you have been asking for and only hearing what you want to hear.

I apologize for being so blunt to a newcomer, but this truly is to save you (and us) money and time.

Sorry - but that is not part of the give-n-take bargain with advice. Just because they worked for 2 years, doesn't mean we know you are actually taking care of them, and after say 300+ messages on how to get your system working with the other problems, the batteries fail 6 months from now. Wasted effort on both our parts.

It also reveals a willingness to hide details from us, further hampering efforts to know if you might be actually following any advice you have been asking for and only hearing what you want to hear.

I apologize for being so blunt to a newcomer, but this truly is to save you (and us) money and time.

they were recently on the 48V system....they have been re wired and are now on the 240V system...but since i dont have an inverter they are not being discharged. i can charge them just fine....since they have been rewired right away from the 48V to 240V....with battery balancers from vicron...not witholding any info...but thats not what im looking advice into...i may be a newcomer in the website but i know what im doing. i havent done anything MYSELF....everything has been done with authorized companies and licenced electricians....i just know the info and looking for ideas...id appreciate if you could use the time you are trying to save into making this as productive as possible.

I am making it productive. Because you could easily be getting RIPPED OFF without knowing it.

You say you are running 200ah gel's. Without knowing the actual model and brand, you could be killing them, despite hanging victron balancers on them if you are treating them like agm.

Trying to save you money is being productive. It will also be critical when you start asking what all the various controller / inverter / scc settings should be later on.

What we really don't want to do is get into a back-n-forth between an authorized installer company and us. Frustrating for them, and also for us with a lot of "but my installer says ...", or the opposite "why are you listening to those diy guys?" ... When that is detected, both parties trying to help leave.

i will take pictures of all the equipment i have on tuesday when i get there.
and as a point of referance, i am more interested on the inverter side....how will i make the 10 kw wind turbine work with ANY equipment you guys think is worth looking into. will post here when i have them. cheers

Back