diy solar

diy solar

Hello

With 4800 Wh, charge rate is just 0.066C today, grow to 0.10C
Some people have smaller battery, larger array, so for them I suggest higher temperature.
You should be safe down to zero degrees C.
Batteries have a lot of mass, so will remain warm for some time, also remain cold.
Just need a temperature sensor and 0C/32F cutout in the BMS if you'll be somewhere cold.

When I used an RV (on my land) or car camping (ski area parking lot), sleeping bag kept me warm but vehicle got cold. Things in it could freeze overnight.
Thank you for the info.

this controller will damage my new batteries?

Apparently it will in freezing weather, unless your BMS has a low-temperature cutout.
Also, from what Snoobler read, you must NOT connect MorningStar temperature sensor, because that will implement voltage variation as a function of temperature. For lead-acid that is exactly what we want, but not for lithium.

Confirm what features your battery's BMS has and you may be fine.

Thank you for checking. I am confused. I called both Morningstar and Renogy and manually set the controller to work with lithium according to what they sent me. I turned off equalization. My new batteries have similar settings.
this controller will damage my new batteries?

Only if you add a temperature sensor to it. If you add a temperature sensor to it, it automatically enables temperature compensation. Lead acid charge values are for 25°C. If it's hotter, voltage needs to be lower. If it's colder, voltage needs to be higher - hence temperature compensation.

This would alter your charge controller's behavior so that it could possibly exceed desired voltage at cooler temperatures.

The controller is otherwise fully programmable for whatever voltage you like, and it can work great for LFP, but it has no provisions for low-temp protection, and if a temperature sensor is added to the unit, it may damage your cells.

Apparently it will in freezing weather, unless your BMS has a low-temperature cutout.
Also, from what Snoobler read, you must NOT connect MorningStar temperature sensor, because that will implement voltage variation as a function of temperature. For lead-acid that is exactly what we want, but not for lithium.

Confirm what features your battery's BMS has and you may be fine.
Thanks for the info! I am learning:)

Back