diy solar

diy solar

Help for a rookie

fordprefect

Hello. I have been reading this forum for some time and have been developing a plan for a 24v solar/battery system for my RV. I have 8 3.2v 200ah CALB LiFePO4 cells, combined in series. I live in the northeast and have eyes on expanding my battery bank in about a year, and there was a solid deal on 315w RecSolar panels, so I am planning on having 4 315w panels wired either as 2S2P or 4S (the panels have some features that seem to minimize shading issues across the array. The brain of the system is a victron 24 3000 Multiplus.

What I am hoping to find out here is...
1. should I be OK with a 200a separate port bms? I saw one that looks like a Daly, but it is not identified as such (https://www.electriccarpartscompany.com/24V-8S-200A-EV-Lithium-LiFePO4-BMS-Battery-Management-System). It has a max charge of 200a, but I would only go for 100. Other suggestions for separate port BMS?

2. Wire sizes: I know this thread is focused on BMS, and sorry for the hijack, but if you are open to this idea, please let me know what you think. The runs from charge controller to the battery and from battery to inverter will be 1 foot or less (one way for DC, so 2 feet overall). using a wire guide, I see that 2awg could handle it but barely, so I looked toward 1awg or 1/0. Any thoughts on wire sizing? I feel that 2/0 is overkill for my system.

This is a great community, so I want to say thanks in advance for any help you can give... and thanks for all of the great discussions that I have poured over these last months.
Be well,
Jason

The victron is able to sustain a very large, very long peak wattage.
From memory its long enough to trip even the quality fuses and breakers that we use.
I'm saying calculate the fuse and wire based on the peak not the continous.

Also nobody really takes Daly's ratings seriously.
Not saying don't use it but I would derate by .5

And pay close attention to the per cell and per pack low voltage disconnect values.

In the teach a man to fish vein, here is a link to a calculator to size your wiring:

You didn't tell us the maximum draw of your inverter, just the max charge. Your instincts are correct on wire size for a 100 amp charge. Once you take a look at the calculator, come on back and ask any questions you have.

diy solar

diy solar
Back