diy solar

diy solar

HELP//How to make a solar powered fridge?

Ruler105

Hello, I am a high school student currently working on an engineering project. I would like to know how to go about making a portable solar powered mini fridge that can store power in a battery to be used while inside. Any help would be appreciated! ?

Do a search on the site and I’m sure you’ll find it.
Find the power requirements for this, and design the fridge from there.

I'm working off of a pre-existing mini fridge, what solar panels could I possibly use to store in a battery?

I'm working off of a pre-existing mini fridge, what solar panels could I possibly use to store in a battery?
Check out Will Prowse on YouTube. He's the owner of this forum, and has some awesome step-by-step videos on how to build a solar charging system for something like a fridge. His "Milk Crate" systems would probably be what you're looking for.

Your first step would be finding out how much power your fridge consumes per day, and how much backup time you would like to have. Once you have those numbers you can find out how big your system needs to be. A kill-a-watt meter would tell you the AC power draw in watts.

I have this one and it works well enough.

Just as an example; let's say your fridge uses 1000 watts per day (probably not close but it's a nice even number). You want to be able to charge your system and run the fridge while the sun is out, so your panels would need to produce a MINIMUM of 1000w a day, really it would be more, because of losses on the system, and AC inversion.

If you get about 4 hours of sun per day, you need to have panels that will produce a thousand watts total over the course of the day. So a 300 watt panel, for 4 hours would make 1200 watts total while the sun is out, enough to fill your battery for a single day of fridge use. Double that if you'd like to have two days of backup, in case it gets cloudy.

If that fridge uses 1000 watts per day, your battery will need to be the same size (of course in reality it needs to be bigger because of losses, oversize by at least 30%, IMHO). For two days it would need to be 2,000 watts from the battery.

There are a ton of variables involved, amount of sun per day, battery type, fridge type, system losses, so it's hard to tell you exactly what you need without having your specific numbers.

If you have any other specific questions I'd be happy to help!

Edited: some bad math.

The first part of your solution should be to define the problem. For this project, you need to determine how much energy your refrigerator needs to run.
If you can determine how many watt hours in needs each day that would be best. If you have watts while running, you will have to account for what percentage of the time its actually cooling vs how much it is idling.
My fridge "runs" about 20 minutes per hour (33% duty cycle).

Anyway, first figure out power usage. Then next we'll figure out how much solar panel(s) you need to harvest that much power each day. Then we'll figure out how much power you need to store in batteries (for when the sun is not shining or its disconnected from solar).

An example would be:
-a small 12V cooler with a compressor, not thermoelectric, (Amazon $200-300)
-a 12V 50ah battery ($100)
-a 12V, 100 watt solar panel $100, (actually may put out around 18V)
-a solar controller $20 (takes approx 18V, 5A from panel and converts it to about 12V 7A to charge battery)
-wires, connectors, fuses, etc. $65 (takes a little effort to figure which ones to buy)

Useful formula: Volts x Amps = Watts (......or V x A = W)

Fridge cooler in average weather of 80F may use about 10W per hour (after it gets down to a set temperature of 39F). 100W solar panel may generate about 85W per hour in full sun, and many sunny places on Earth allow for an average of 4-5 hours of sun per day. So, each day this panel may provide 85W x 4 hours = 340 Watt Hours.

Your 12 volt, 50 amp hour battery holds 12V x 50ah = 600 Watt Hours of power, but unless it’s a Lithium type battery (which are more expensive) you really don’t want to ever drain it much lower than 50% because it’s life could be shortened. Since each day your fridge cooler (in 80F weather described above) uses about 10W x 24 hours = 240 Watt Hours, this solar panel & battery should provide more than you need if there is enough sun. If it’s cloudy your system may only produce 15-25% of what it does when it’s sunny, but you can hope that the temperature will be lower on those days and your fridge cooler won’t need as much power.

This of course is only an example and assumes all of the components are fairly efficient, but would likely keep your SPAM fresh.

Last edited:

Honestly just needs a bit larger panel.

Yes, it looks like the panel only provides enough power if ambient temperature is very cool and you run the refrigerator at a high temperature. Maybe they could add a barbecue grill attachment with a fish grilling cage and a Martha Stewart apron.

Back