diy solar

diy solar

Help me become agnostic

AlanN

My grid tie system works great but I would like to become less grid dependent.
My main system is 66 315watt panels feeding four delta h6 inverters, the array and inverters are about 300 feet from my electric meter.
The delta inverters are in a 8x12 insulated shed adjacent to the panel array.
I have a second system in and on my shop with 4300 watts of panels and a gsl 11.5 kw inverter with 24 trojan t105 batteries, the shop is about 250 feet from the electric meter and 550 feet from my main array and inverters.
My original goal for the gsl inverter and batteries was to be able to go overnight without running my generator when the grid is down. It does that but only just barely.
I have not tried to ac couple the two systems together yet.
I would like to add more off grid capacity.
I would like to use as much of my haphazard collection of equipment as I can but l am not welded to any of it except the big ground mount array.
I have a use for the trojan batteries if I wanted to switch to lithium batteries.
I am unsure how lithium batteries would work if I put them in my insulated but currently un heated inverter shed.
My generator is in my shop with the gsl inverter and batteries and it really can't be anywhere else.
I have more panels that I could hook up to the gsl inverter if I wanted to increase that systems output but that system does not feed through my production meter, right now its output just sorta cancels out my electric use but doesn't send much to the grid very often.
I obviously don't have a lot of money in the delta inverters so swapping them for some hybrid inverters is what I have been considering, the distance to the generator and heated space for batteries are what makes this complicated for me.
Another idea is to ac couple all or some of the grid tie inverters with the hybrid inverter in the shop. I would like to not let the smoke out of anything by doing this.
I am interested in the ideas and suggestions you all have about this.
What different inverters?
Battery options?
I know very little about my lead acid batteries and nothing about lithium.
I don't need seamless un interrupted power but simple is always good.
I am sure that I am overlooking some other options. What do you all think.

Attachments

• IMG-4362.jpg
    IMG-4362.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4442.jpg
    IMG_4442.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4435.jpg
    IMG_4435.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4437.jpg
    IMG_4437.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4436.jpg
    IMG_4436.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4440.jpg
    IMG_4440.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2887.jpg
    IMG_2887.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 9
25 years off grid with lead acid. Switched to lifep04 at half the amp hour capacity. Fully charged in half the sunlight. Biggest step ever taken proved successful. Start there!

Back