diy solar

diy solar

Installing a breaker panel between inverter and production meter

I think they want the production meter so they get credit for all the solar power bring produced since they are mandated to have a certain percentage of their power produced by renewables. I haven't looked into the smart meter, but it sounds like that might show that. Although if I'm pulling power off before that meter, it may not

I think they want the production meter so they get credit for all the solar power bring produced since they are mandated to have a certain percentage of their power produced by renewables. I haven't looked into the smart meter, but it sounds like that might show that. Although if I'm pulling power off before that meter, it may not
If it’s to calculate your SREC (total renewable output) or to help the POCO establish % of renewable. Then they probably don’t care. Because your consumption will result only in an under measurement of total solar production from your system. The smart meter can still distinguish net import vs export

If it’s for bureaucratic stupidity or strong big brother monitoring of your solar production for the sake of it, then the question is different.

I am a bit surprised about the requirement for the two meters, if you are doing a net metering agreement. You have a different PoCo than here (Xcel), but as I understand Xcel's requirements here, if you are under 10KW of generation (eg panels) then you can just have a single net meter. Over 10K you need multiple meters (2 or 3 depending if you are AC or DC coupled) and the payback agreement is different too.

You might want to check with your PoCo and see what their rules are for under 10KW. Might be worth putting in 9.8KW or the like ;). Also might want to double check what the payback agreement details are for the power you sell back.

Sangre de Christo is my co-op. They are a little strange. 10kw is the max we can do, so the requirements are the same no matter the size. Their buyback is not do good. First of all, they're the only co-op in Colorado that resets your banked kwhr's Jan 1 without giving the option of infinite banking with no buyout. They pay 2 cents per kwhr and you reset to 0 when you need the power the most and the production is the lowest. I have an all electric house (including a hot tub), so I don't think I'll have a lot left to sell.

What extra policing / monitoring does the extra meters enable?
Since I am not planning a system which requires it, I can't say for sure, did not pay that much attention to them. But I seem to recall one meter was measuring AC pushed back on the grid, and the other was for PV output; but don't quote me on that. The AC one I suspect was for credit purposes so they know what they owe you, since over that 10K limit you no longer have just a simple net meter.

Ughhh why isn’t the net meter at the shed? IMO the meter should be as close the main panel as possible.

That extra distance from the road to the shed is just all losses you pay for. Locating the meter on the shed puts those losses on the utility.

Maybe with a coop seeing you’re the owner of the company it’s all a wash at who pays for losses.

Back