diy solar

diy solar

Help me put together a simple solar system for my car

A weekend outing is my goal. Usually, me and my kids, we go for one full day (6am till 6pm). The fridge is portable so it doesn't stay in the car unless we prepare for a daytrip. All I need is to have enough battery left in case we stay overnight or for those super hot summer days or when kids want to charge their R/C cars. Just hoping that the panel will provide enough juice to run the fridge so the charged battery is not used too much.

I could get a bigger power station (1000W+) but those are fairly expensive. Cheaper to add one solar panel and 50Ah battery. Unfortunately, there is space for just one panel on the roof of my car. As far as 100Ah battery (not a power station), then I do not want to deal with moving the battery in and out of the car for charging. Looking for somewhat permanent solution. The car is parked outside so Mon-Fri it could charge the battery so it is ready for the weekend. Plus my current 50Ah power station can be used as a backup.

I hope that clarifies some things.
Well, in that case, use a 100 Ah battery and literally any size solar panel. Treat it as a battery that will give you 3-4 days use, and then the solar panel as a trickle charger to charge it back up to full SOC in between outings.

This being said, it sounds like you've got a solution and you're looking for a problem. For what you are describing, your current power station will meet your needs. If it were me, I certainly wouldn't be permanently mounting a solar panel to my roof, drilling holes for wiring, etc. for your planned use.

This being said, it sounds like you've got a solution and you're looking for a problem. For what you are describing, your current power station will meet your needs. If it were me, I certainly wouldn't be permanently mounting a solar panel to my roof, drilling holes for wiring, etc. for your planned use.
Not really. I have inquired with a manufacturer and my power station cannot be charged via solar and used at the same time. That's what prompted the whole solar project. If I could just add a solar panel to my power station, I would be all set. As to mounting the panel, I got that covered. I have a roof rack that I am only using partially for recovery boards and awning. There is space for one solar panel to be mounted securely without drilling any holes (except routing the cables but that can probably be done thru the hatch).

I think I will go with one 50Ah battery first and then add second one if I see that the capacity is not enough. With my setup, two smaller 50Ah batteries will fit better than one 100Ah.

Back