diy solar

diy solar

HELP : New Hybrid System Design

50kWh is a good battery storage starting point. I would try to expand it over time to above your target daily usage to give yourself more buffer.

Add as many panels over time as you can. Panels are cheap and only get cheaper. For instance I have 15kW of panels. On a full cloud day I make only 1.5kW. My best day in February was 45.3kWh.

Do you have a good south facing location? Any buildings/trees blocking sun or do you have full horizon? Is you property on the south side of your property's elevation change?

SMA has a 70 kW 3-phase inverter for 400V batteries. I'm not sure if it will accept AC input with missing phases.
They have 3-phase PV inverters in the 30 to 60 kW range.

Their Sunny Island is 6kW and uses 48V battery, three inverters for 3-phase makes 18kW, should manage 36kW of PV inverter.
That one should be able to take in 1 or 2 phases and make the missing phase. I'm doing that with the 120V US model.
Multi-Cluster lets multiple 3-phase clusters combine their power. I don't know if that configuration works with missing phases.

If one phase is from the grid and another from Sunny Island, frequency and phase track the grid but voltage does not. That makes asymmetric 3-phase, which may be an issue for some transformers and motors. I may have observed that feeding a 208 to 240V step-up transformer that is 3 windings on one "E" core. I do not see that when three separate transformers with their own cores are used.

To feed grid into an inverter island system, I would like to rectify the grid and feed it to the PV (or turbine) input, then AC couple to island system. (better precharge to avoid excessive inrush.)

True but 396v diy batteries.
They can be built for your choice of voltage.
I've seen a 240v one.

REC BMS supports 128s.
I don't know what its communication is compatible with.

Here is over all weather.

This is the most relevant part for estimating solar output.
View attachment 137368

Here is solar equivalent hours for 25degree from horizontal exactly south facing.
View attachment 137371

Here is solar equivalent hours for 50degree from horizontal exactly south facing.
View attachment 137372

Don't go more than 50deg as you won't gain more than 1% in December and you'll sacrifice in all other months. 25deg seems like a reasonable low number to not sacrifice more than 2-3% of July.

thank you! I don't want to go more than 25 degree for aesthetic reasons also, and potential increased wind exposure.

SMA has a 70 kW 3-phase inverter for 400V batteries. I'm not sure if it will accept AC input with missing phases.
They have 3-phase PV inverters in the 30 to 60 kW range.

Their Sunny Island is 6kW and uses 48V battery, three inverters for 3-phase makes 18kW, should manage 36kW of PV inverter.
That one should be able to take in 1 or 2 phases and make the missing phase. I'm doing that with the 120V US model.
Multi-Cluster lets multiple 3-phase clusters combine their power. I don't know if that configuration works with missing phases.

If one phase is from the grid and another from Sunny Island, frequency and phase track the grid but voltage does not. That makes asymmetric 3-phase, which may be an issue for some transformers and motors. I may have observed that feeding a 208 to 240V step-up transformer that is 3 windings on one "E" core. I do not see that when three separate transformers with their own cores are used.

To feed grid into an inverter island system, I would like to rectify the grid and feed it to the PV (or turbine) input, then AC couple to island system. (better precharge to avoid excessive inrush.)

REC BMS supports 128s.
I don't know what its communication is compatible with.
Hello, excuse my ignorance and thank you for the response.

Would it be easier if we designed it so the single phase from the grid was only used to charge the batteries, and not power the loads? possibly separate battery banks with separate chargers, and the grid charging one at a time. Excuse me if I'm totally off base here.

thank you

50kWh is a good battery storage starting point. I would try to expand it over time to above your target daily usage to give yourself more buffer.

Add as many panels over time as you can. Panels are cheap and only get cheaper. For instance I have 15kW of panels. On a full cloud day I make only 1.5kW. My best day in February was 45.3kWh.

Do you have a good south facing location? Any buildings/trees blocking sun or do you have full horizon? Is you property on the south side of your property's elevation change?

Hello, we are in the middle of wheat and sheep grazing fields, no shade at all. Full sun always.

Wow only 1.5kwh on cloudy day. I'm starting with a 20 KW PV system.

Sandi makes 50-250kw inverters that can run with grid assist function and won't backfeed. Prices are fair. Batteries are expensive for it (HV) but I would just say screw the batteries, and undersize the array to cover ~50-70% of your needs. Inverter will combine grid power with solar.

I saw Sandi, I was thinking it would be better to go with a "name brand" western inverter rather than Chinese owned/engineered brand. I've gotten lots of offers from Sandi and Deye, maybe not so bad after all?

Would it be easier if we designed it so the single phase from the grid was only used to charge the batteries, and not power the loads? possibly separate battery banks with separate chargers, and the grid charging one at a time. Excuse me if I'm totally off base here.

thank you
It could simplify things.
But no need for multiple battery banks.
One bank can charge and discharge at the same time.

Hello, we are in the middle of wheat and sheep grazing fields, no shade at all. Full sun always.

Wow only 1.5kwh on cloudy day. I'm starting with a 20 KW PV system.

That is why the cloud cover chart for your area is really the most important data. Clouds are the enemy!

thank you

PV/battery systems do fail, so it is good to have grid as backup to power loads directly. If you have 3-phase loads and 3-phase grid, you can do that with a transfer switch. I'm setting up 3-phase inverter for 3-phase shop tools, but will continue to have single phase service because price to get 3-phase was too high (even though available as high voltage on a pole only 200' away.)

I would have installed 3-phase HVAC, but will probably use single-phase so my inverters aren't needed to heat the house. VFD can also power 3-phase motors more cheaply and reliably than an inverter/battery system.

3-phase loads of course start better and have more torque. Battery inverter has to be able to deliver starting surge.

Good battery chargers are expensive (those that carefully regulate battery voltage, but inverter/chargers are common. You can charge battery with either single phase or three phase. If charging with 3-phase and powering 3-phase loads, ripple on battery should be eliminated because power delivery is constant. If powering single phase from battery, there is ripple on the battery (of full current, capacitors can't smooth that), and if charging at same time, single phase grid will not be in sync, so ripple still present. Not terrible, that is normal for battery/PV system, but if inverters can pass through the single or 3-phase grid to load, battery can be kept at float, probably last longer.

My systems are SMA Sunny Island, which pass through grid (or generator), and can add power from battery synchronized to grid (in the event current draw is higher than what input can deliver). They also have Sunny Boy or Sunny TriPower, which use PV and also deliver synchronized AC power.

48V battery

60kW up to 1000V battery.
I'm not completely sure this works off-grid but I think so.

If 18kW from battery, 33kW starting surge, 36kW from PV was sufficient, I would use Sunny Island.
Up to 500 kWh battery (per 3-phase cluster.)

diy solar

diy solar
Back