diy solar

diy solar

Help to wire 12volt fridge.

eMBurr

We picked up a 12 volt Furrion fridge (great deal used). We plan on installing this in our off grid cabin. Until we are set up with our solar system (have just not installed yet) we would like to use the fridge on weekend trips.

We want to run it from our Bluetti Papeete bank for now. How can I wire this (picture attached). Can I use a USB or should I use a volt cigarette lighter plug?

Could someone point to the correct plug I can use or you please share you ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_4387.jpeg
    IMG_4387.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 8
The fridge wants 12v at 15amps.
A USB gives 5v.
so you would need to splice in a cigar lighter plug, and use a 12v cigar lighter socket.
It takes an honest 10amps when it runs, and will run about 1/4 of the time. Mine is powered by two 200W panels, charging two GC2's at 235aH, and that setup keeps the fridge running from April to November, as well as a car radio, water pump and lights.

Make sure the wiring is an appropriate gauge for 15a (at least 10g). The fridge has a wonky-sized 15a fuse built into it, follow the wiring into-and-down to the bottom of the cabinet, and you will find a glass in-line fuse there... (it's good to know for future reference, and you may want to source a replacement now, because they are impossible to find)

My fridge takes about 15minutes to cool down, but the back wall is prone to freeze vegetables, so be careful there...

The fridge wants 12v at 15amps.
A USB gives 5v.
so you would need to splice in a cigar lighter plug, and use a 12v cigar lighter socket.
It takes an honest 10amps when it runs, and will run about 1/4 of the time. Mine is powered by two 200W panels, charging two GC2's at 235aH, and that setup keeps the fridge running from April to November, as well as a car radio, water pump and lights.

Make sure the wiring is an appropriate gauge for 15a (at least 10g). The fridge has a wonky-sized 15a fuse built into it, follow the wiring into-and-down to the bottom of the cabinet, and you will find a glass in-line fuse there... (it's good to know for future reference, and you may want to source a replacement now, because they are impossible to find)

My fridge takes about 15minutes to cool down, but the back wall is prone to freeze vegetables, so be careful there...
thank you very much for your help. Looking for a plug now. I had read about that fuse. I will find it and source a few spares. Thanks again.

My next silly question (aka beginner) how do I deal with 3 wires on the fridge to 2 on the plug. Would negative go to the ground and positive to positive?

The fridge has pos/neg/grd the plug will be pos/grd.

Last edited:
My next silly question (aka beginner) how do I deal with 3 wires on the fridge to 2 on the plug. Would negative go to the ground and positive to positive?

The fridge has pos/neg/grd the plug will be pos/grd.
I've got mine tied neg to grd... Only because it's in a vehicle.
If you actually have an easy place to ground the fridge to earth, like a metal drain pipe, that'd be better.

Back