diy solar

diy solar

Help with Calculations

Xhumeka

Off-Grid'er
Hi all, I have a head-scratcher I'm hoping you guys can help with!

I'm about to replace some older solar panels on my roof, but before I do I was interested what my total power potential is at the moment. Everything was setup by the previous owner and is located high on a roof so I can't get a good look at connections, but I know the specs of the existing panels so I started running some calculations on paper.

Here's where my headscratcher comes in - there are two different types of panels in use, and based what I've read if the panels are in series the total current is determined by the panel of the lowest current rating ( https://solarpanelsvenue.com/mixing-solar-panels/ ). Yet based on reported input Wattage from my charge controller, I seem to be getting the full potential of power when in full sun - so I'm not sure how that's possible given the different panels in use.

Below are the specs, picture of reported watts coming from panels, and pictures of the panels as best I can get. From what I can tell, the 5 smaller panels are in parallel, which are then connected in series to the other 3 panels. But again, no matter how I run the calculations I can't seem to figure out how that is possible. Based on my calculations, I believe I should be restricted to about 575 total watts because of the 8.24 amperage of the lowest panel. HELP! Thanks :)

qTo5Fzr.png

4TAzgHt.jpg

FXC4B4f.jpg

Panel Specs

jTSPqd8.png

What I'm assuming based on reported input voltage/watts is that the 5 smaller panels are in parallel (and confirmed by picture of panel), which then connect in series to the other 3 panels. If that's the case, the amps on the 5 panels in parallel should be restricted from 14.55 total amps (5*2.91) to 8.24 amps (same as the other 3) which would reduce my total power input to about 576 watts:

meGrCcN.png

What am I missing here? The theoretical maximum power I should be able to pull from these 8 panels is 685 Watts [(3*145)+(5*50)]. How am I pulling maximum power rating from these panels when there is a mixture of them? Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hmmm. What is your charger input voltage when in full sun and the charger is not charging? If you know the open circuit voltage you might better know how it is all connected, or not.

Something is up if you are getting 64v into your SCC. This cannot be 3 panels in parallel (17.6v) combined in series with 5 panels in parallel (14.55v).

64v into your SCC looks a lot more like 3x 17.6v = (52.8) + 14.55v = 67v

I am guessing your 3 panels are in series.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say in my original post (sorry if I was unclear):

What I'm assuming based on reported input voltage/watts is that the 5 smaller panels are in parallel (and confirmed by picture of panel), which then connect in series to the other 3 panels.

Back