diy solar

diy solar

Help with my system please.

Doon1

Hi All,
Been reading through the forum here for the last couple of days before posting.
I've had a small PV array (800w) in my garage for 2 years. The array maintains four 8D batteries (Napa part # 8276) that have a RC of 435 minutes (181Ah) each. I use it infrequently for the lights, saws, routers, and a small compressor via a couple of 2000w PSW inverters.
The other day I aquired an AIMS PICOGLF60W24V230VS 6000w/24v/240v split phase inverter. Thinking about hooking it up to my house as a backup system for everything but the A/C unit (4 ton), the stove, the dryer, and my Nissan Leaf charger.
I don't use much in the house as it's just my wife and I. Tablets, laptops, desktops, LED lighting, a TV, and basic kitchen appliances.
What I'm trying to decide is do I want to run it in battery priority mode or grid priority mode. Would running it on battery mode wear out the batteries quicker? Should I throw some more panels in the mix? Should 725 Ah (8700 Wh) combined battery get me through the night into the next day in sunny SC?
Thanks for any input.
John

Last edited:
...What I'm trying to decide is do I want to run it in battery priority mode or grid priority mode.
Grid Priority means the inverter passes the grid through normally but switches to the battery if the grid goes off.

Would running it on battery mode wear out the batteries quicker?
Yes, a battery's life is measured in the number of times it is cycled. See the battery FAQ (see link in the signature below) for a whole lot more.

Should I throw some more panels in the mix?
You can tell by creating an energy audit (see link in signature).

Hope that's of some help!

my 6kw system powers most of my house via a "critical loads" panel. Things like the 220v shop and 220v AC unit are still on grid but the inverters run basic kitchen stuff, lights, tv etc just fine.

5500w of solar and ~23kwh worth of battery gets me most of the way through the night on bat. spring/fall i can run 24hrs off grid. Winter when its overcast and half as much sun, i only make a few hours off grid every day.

my 6kw system powers most of my house via a "critical loads" panel. Things like the 220v shop and 220v AC unit are still on grid but the inverters run basic kitchen stuff, lights, tv etc just fine.

5500w of solar and ~23kwh worth of battery gets me most of the way through the night on bat. spring/fall i can run 24hrs off grid. Winter when its overcast and half as much sun, i only make a few hours off grid every day.
I've run the calculator to convert rc to ah to kwh and end up with 8.7kwh. Seems kind of low. I may have to up my battery game if I'm going to use this for a backup system.

Back