diy solar

diy solar

Help with Pace BMS Comms

andynotts

Hey, I have a Anenji battery pack. It's a 51.2V100AH battery. It has a Pace BMS but I cannot get any reliable communications with it. The seller sent me a BMS Tools v2.04 which they say should be able to talk to the battery. I'm getting nowhere. I have 3 RS232 cables, 1 from Amazon, 1 from the seller and 1 I made myself. I swapped the RX and TX on mine and that gives me some success but not much using MJDB Tools v2.7. Also with RX and TX swapped at least Putty will loopback text, so I think that was the right thing to do.

I've got it configured as a lead acid battery on my inverter currently but would really like the BMS to communicate properly. Can anyone offer any help for setting the protocol on the battery?
20231018_155031346_iOS.jpg20231018_155038616_iOS.jpg

You need to set the battery ID to 1 on the dip switch (ID 1 = 1st switch up, the others down).

Then you should be able to use the BMS Tools on rs232 or just get com with your inverter (brand ?) thru CAN or RS485.

You can download a more recent version here : https://www.gobelpower.com/downloads_ap27.html?cate=4 (HS 2.03. Yes, it is more recent than PBMS 2.04 or even 2.5 ...).

Actually it looks like a Pace BMS but display is different as it is written "Lanpwr" on it ...

Might be a customized version of a Pace or a copy, then Pace software not compatible.

Worth trying asking Lanpwr directly if they can point you in the right direction...

I’ve tried a Solis and Voltronic inverter. Tried connecting to the rs485 and Can port. I had some success with rs232, flipped the rx/tx wires and used MJDB tools v2.7 it could read some information but not the CAN or rs485 protocols

I had a heck of a time trying to communicate with my Sungold Batteries that us the Pace BMS. There are a bunch of rj-11 rs232 cables that won't work. The one(s) I found that worked were from Sungold and from Current Connected (2-part cable) for an SOK battery that used the Pace BMS

Or you can rewire one of those non-working cables like I did after figuring out the correct wiring - see my posts on that.
Here - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/i...-split-phase-solar-inverter.71345/post-924209
and other posts in that thread.

Good Luck!
Keep us posted here!

and yes that PbmsTools software will work and this cable will connect to Solar Assistant running on a Raspberry Pi.
I'm using PbmsTools v 2.5

First, do you have the pinout of each RS485 port.
The EG4 Lifepower4 batteries for example use pins 1&2 as an RS485 bus as well as pins 7&8 as a second RS485 bus in the same RJ45 jack.
I purchased a RS485 to USB Converter:
RS485-USB-Converter

Using a spare cat5 cable, just cut of the RJ45 connector on one end, remove about 3 inches of the outer insulation then you can connect the correct pair of wires to the RS485 to USB Converter and plug the RJ45 connector on the other end to the correct port on the battery.
Look at the RJ45 connector on the cable (With my tired old eye I use a magnifying glass) and determine the order or the wires.
With the RJ45 connector locking tab facing away from you and the bare pins facing you can determine the color of the wire to each pin. pin 1 will be on your left and pin 8 will be on the right.

T-568B RJ45 pinout
Pin Color
1 orange/white
2 orange
3 green/white
4 blue
5 blue/white
6 green
7 brown/white
8 brown

For exampe, in my case if I want to communicate to my batteries on pins 1&2, I connect the orange/white wire to the B- on the converter and the orange wire to the A+ on the converter, If I want to communicate to my batteries on pins 7&8 I connect the brown to the B- on the converter and the brown/white wire to the A+ on the converter

For the EG4 pins 1&2 are generally used for end user communications such as the User software or Solar Assistant and pins 7&8 are used when the battery is placed in Host/Master mode by settings its address to 0. The BMS in Host/master mode will then poll the other batteries in thwe stack on pin 7&8. The EG4 Communication hub als acts as a Host/Master BMS and pols all batteries on pin 7&8.

Hopefully you will be able to determine which pin combination works for you. With an RS485 to USB Converter you can try any number of combinations without the need to purchase cables only to find they do not work.

I had a heck of a time trying to communicate with my Sungold Batteries that us the Pace BMS. There are a bunch of rj-11 rs232 cables that won't work. The one(s) I found that worked were from Sungold and from Current Connected (2-part cable) for an SOK battery that used the Pace BMS

Or you can rewire one of those non-working cables like I did after figuring out the correct wiring - see my posts on that.
Here - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/i...-split-phase-solar-inverter.71345/post-924209
and other posts in that thread.

Good Luck!
Keep us posted here!

and yes that PbmsTools software will work and this cable will connect to Solar Assistant running on a Raspberry Pi.
I'm using PbmsTools v 2.5
I will look at this over the weekend. Spent all day talking to Solis customer support getting the energy meter working

Hi , I am amazed at the information I've found on this forum ! I am struggling with a protocol issue . I have a Sunwise 48V batt with BMS Pace 15s. I cant get it to communicate with my MPPSolar 5048MGX inverter. I have connected the battery BMS via serial adapter to rs232 . In the PBMSTools for changing protocol, the Inverter Protocol showing "Paceic" , but none of the software versions will allow me to change it. They all pop up with "Write Error" . I have tried the other PBMSTools which allow you to see and adjust parameters ( It allows me to adjust almost everything except the inverter protocol) and tried to change the protocol in "System Config" , but the same problem, same error. I'm at a loss, any help would be appreciated. Thanks PS. I didn't realise that this rabbit hole would be so deep!!

There are way to many "BMSTools" or "PBMSTools" software out there.
passwords:
1: 123456
2: paceadmin
3: calculated from current date/Time in the format ddmmhh (day minute hour). You add 10 to the minutes and the hours are in 24hr format;
for example current date/time is 04/09/2024 9:45 PM. The password entry would be 095521. Add 10 minutes to 45 and 9 PM is 21 hours
for example current date/time is 04/09/2024 9:51 PM. The password would be 090122. Add 10 minutes to 51 which kicks you into the next hour so 9 PM becomes 10 PM which is entered as 22 hours

It appears that the protocol change function is hard coded for a battery address set to 0. I have also not been able to get it to work via the batteries RS232 port however (I have not yet tried it) it may work if connected via an USB to RS232 converter connected to the battery to battery RS485 port

With the correct password entered a couple of new tabs will appear. You need to click the "Upper Settings" tab and you might have to change the "Protocol Ver". The protocol version is sent with every command to the BMS and is part of the command validation process. The protocol version varies from BMS to BMS and in some instances where different manufacturers use the same BMS they may code a specific protocol version that will often prevent other software from working.

I do not know what protocol version your BMS uses; some are 20, 25, 26

At some point I will try connecting to my SunGoldPower batteries via the RS485B or RS485C port and see if I can change the protocol.
I know if I use the SOKTool software I can change the protocol using the RS232 port

Hi Marionw, Thank You for your response . I have tried using passwords 123456 to change protocol, the password is correct, but it shows write error. Paceadmin didnt work in that version of PBMStools . The Soktool Doesn't allow me to change the protocol but using the password Paceadmin I managed to get the two new tabs showing and my battery's protocol version is 25 , but I may talk to the supplier about changing this first ! Have you had success changing this setting? I really don't want to damage anything or not be able to go back ! See the PDF the supplier sent me , I have bought the connector and will try this when it arrives , I hope its not the exact same as the premade serial adapter to RJ11 which I have already used! Round and Round we go!! I have also bought USB to RS485 so will try it when it arrives.

Attachments

• Changing Protocol .pdf
    1 MB · Views: 8
Back