diy solar

diy solar

Help with Solar Panel DIY Install in a Shaded Area

AcemanSolar

So in Southern California where I live, it's unfortunately one of the highest cost of living areas so of course high cost of labor for solar installers. My house is in the Canyons with beautiful Oak trees shading the property. I plan to have the trees trimmed but only to the extent it will not harm the trees. If you look at the Google Maps picture one side of my house faces almost due South (yellow arrow). There is also a picture that shows the side that faces south with the roof structure and a print screen of a Sun Path App showing the path of the sun. Most of the sun hits the lower roof because of the large oak tree that throws shade on the upper roof. The side yard gets quite a bit of sun.

So it's too expensive to have panels installed because of the shade I would never recover the investment in so I plan to do it myself. Watched the JerryRigEverthing video and seems Wholesale Solar is a good option the cost about $13,500, under 10K with tax credit. I'd be happy if all the panels did was charge an EV. But wondering what suggestions folks have to maximize the solar capture. The panels do have microinverters. What about panels mounted in the side yard up higher or possibly a solar canopy.

Oh and the roof needs to be replaced so that will be done before the solar panel install.

Attachments

• Property.jpg
    Property.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 6
  • House.jpg
    House.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 6
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Sun.jpg
    Sun.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Consider a solar fence using bifacial panels facing E&W. Will make nice power morning & afternoon. Ground mounted bifacial can make more power than rooftop because more light under & behind plus they run much cooler and no rapid shutdown required. SSE and SSW panels are OK too, as are vertical panels mounted on buildings. Get creative!

Consider a solar fence using bifacial panels facing E&W. Will make nice power morning & afternoon. Ground mounted bifacial can make more power than rooftop because more light under & behind plus they run much cooler and no rapid shutdown required. SSE and SSW panels are OK too, as are vertical panels mounted on buildings. Get creative!
Thanks for the supply.

I am not familiar with a solar fence or bifacial panels or the acronyms SSE and SSW

I'm really intrigued by this idea--this may be a good way to solve my shade problem because the other side of the house I could do this as well. Is there some resource or place I can find step by step how to do this--the supports for the panels, the panels to buy, etc.

Edit--does not seem this will work because the back of the house where the panel would replace the fence would be north-south facing, not East-West.

Last edited:
Thanks for the supply.

I am not familiar with a solar fence or bifacial panels or the acronyms SSE and SSW
SSE= South South East = 157deg
South= 180deg
SSW= South South West = 202deg
Bifacial panels collect light on both the front and back sides. Thus, light reflected on the back can improve output by 10-20+%. They are ideal for ground mounts where there is adequate height under the panel for reflected light. Mounting them over or in front of reflective surfaces improves output. Mounted properly they will also run cooler and last longer that typical roof mounted panels.

Well if you look at that picture my wood fence runs East to West so if I used panels there the would be south facing so I couldn't do a vertical fence. I would need to angle them, correct? I could build a stone base and then mount them higher then tilted back towards the house. Would that work?

Well if you look at that picture my wood fence runs East to West so if I used panels there the would be south facing so I couldn't do a vertical fence. I would need to angle them, correct? I could build a stone base and then mount them higher then tilted back towards the house. Would that work?
Yes, the compromise angle would be 30deg from horizontal or 60deg from vertical. Using bifacial panels and having white cement (not gray), white crushed rock, or crushed seashell on ground under and behind would help too. Note that the most effective bifacial mounts connect on the long edge of the panel and have zero structure or rails passing behind the panel that will block light collection on the back.

I try and maximize what sunny parts of the yard we have. Several small arrays in the sunny spots and all on their own mppt.

So I 'll probably end up installing a pergola on that side of the house but we need to have the sun shining in for light in the house so I read the bifacial panels are transparent. Is that true of all of them? Where is the best place to buy these?

In California, the most expensive power is from ~ 2 pm - 8 pm in the summer, and that is the time period when pricing will continue to rise over time.

Take a look at the position of the sun during those hours.

That is where you want to mount the bulk of your solar panels if possible. The later in the day, the better.

You might find that this means the panels are mounted on the exterior wall of your house instead of on the roof.

The other place to look is the early morning sun, as a secondary location.

Every body and their brother is still mounting solar panels at the mid day suggestion from the 1980s, so California actually has a glut of power during the 11 - 2 pm time period. Eventually the value of power generated during this time period will be negligible for home solar generated power.

Back