diy solar

diy solar

hi

salve

is it okay to add a portable foldable panel that i attach to my battleborn with aligator clips to the system i have where the battery is also already connected to another rigid panel using the epever controller that will recommends? i'm not sure if this is a stupid question.

I don’t think this will give any problems. Most probably you’re solar panels have diodes inside to prevent charge currents to go in the wrong way.
Most people with a foldable solar panel connect the wires directly on to the battery with aligator clips.

Do check the solar controller from the foldable solar panel, if it’s set to the correct battery type and voltage. And first connect the aligator clips on to the battery, and then connect the solar pannel wires on to the solar charge controller. This is the common way of doing, also the other way around. First disconnect the solar panel, and then disconnect the battery. Although, some solar charge controllers can handle both ways of connecting, but then this should be mentioned in the manual.

And a small tip for the next time: Please fill the topic header a bit better than only “hi”. So people can read what your topic, or question is.

cool. thank you for answering my question. it's helped me a lot.

Welcome to the forums!

Depending on how it's setup, you might see a loss of power. Here's a video that should explain and help you out:

In general, the two rules are:
  1. same Amps okay to series connect
  2. Same Voltage okay parallel connect

Also, here's a video on how to work around any mismatch with multiple SCCs.

You might also enjoy: What does it mean to have solar panels in parallel and series?

Last edited:
Do check the solar controller from the foldable solar panel, if it’s set to the correct battery type and voltage. And first connect the aligator clips on to the battery, and then connect the solar pannel wires on to the solar charge controller. This is the common way of doing, also the other way around. First disconnect the solar panel, and then disconnect the battery. Although, some solar charge controllers can handle both ways of connecting, but then this should be mentioned in the manual.

And a small tip for the next time: Please fill the topic header a bit better than only “hi”. So people can read what your topic, or question is.
The way i read her question is that there is No charge controller on the foldable panel so not recommended.

is it okay to add a portable foldable panel that i attach to my battleborn with aligator clips to the system i have where the battery is also already connected to another rigid panel using the epever controller that will recommends? i'm not sure if this is a stupid question.
Not a stupid question but you do not give enough info.
Does the foldable panel have a built in solar charge controller?
Please give brand names and watts of the folding panel and a sales link.

Also what are the specs on the rigid panel and Epever SCC?

so the folding panel is a DOKIO 300w and it comes with a pwm controller.

the rigid panel is a RENOGY 300w (i included the spec sheet in attachments) and the epever controller, here is information on the amazon page:

3215BN MPPT Solar Charge Controller​

• 12V/24VDC Auto Working
  • 150V Max. PV Open Circuit Voltage
  • 390w(12v)/780w(24v) Max. PV Input Power
  • Support 4 charging options: Sealed, Gel, Flooded and User
i wanted to add another panel to my system because i don't have enough to run something, so i don't know if it will be enough but i wanted to know if i can just buy this thing (with the included controller) and just clip it to my system battery. i'm also not entirely sure where to clip it because it has all this stuff already on the terminals. is it okay to clip it onto the bolt head that i used to attach the wires and fuse?

Attachments

• renogy.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
Yes, the Dokio foldable panels can directly be connected on to the battery with the aligator clips.
Just be sure that the included solar panel charge controller is correctly set to the battery specs.
First connect the battery with the aligator clips, and then connect the solar panel on to the charge controller.

Btw:
By coincidence I’ve tried to order the 200W version of the foldable panel, but then the hard glass suitcase model.
Dokio told me that they have no stock until june 2021. You could check their direct selling store at Ali Express.

Last edited:
Back