diy solar

diy solar

Buy portable panels or DIY

Scycle

I would like to start with 200w portable panels for my RV, then add more to the roof later. Are the manufactured portable panels as good as the rigid type? I'm thinking about building my own suitcase but found this Vevor kit that seems reasonable and states a good efficiency. Looking at rigid panels there are 100w compact sizes around 30" square and also standard 21 x 39-ish sizes, but prefer smaller for portable-what determines better efficiency? Want to connect to my 100-20 SCC.

Vevor is typically lower end stuff, but that price is reasonable. Valuing time more than money, I would go that route unless you can deal with non-folding. You could get flexible panels and build lightweight PVC frames like this.

They wouldn't fold, but they would go flat and likely be even lighter weight than the folding panel.

My research led me to rigid panels. These by Ecoflow. Best efficiency I found for the money. I've only used them a couple times to charge my homemade box, but so far they are ideal. I've pulled 210w while charging my 100ah battery in the Iowa winter temps.

I built suitcase for them with 3/8" plywood. We camp with a tent to travel lighter so no roof to mount them on. They are a bit heavy like this, maybe 30-35 #'s but it packs well with our gear and keeps them protected while traveling. Actually topping off the box charge now and packing for a few weeks travel looking for land. Hitting the road in the morning.

Attachments

• 20240223_125804.jpg
    20240223_125804.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 5
Back