diy solar

diy solar

These portable panels any good?

$120??
I’m not a fan of not-glass panels but if I wanted portable panels that seems like a price I’d try for. Do it.

For home use sure, but the problem with glass is if you are camping at the beach or other windy place, glass can be blown over by wind and break the panels. The other ones won't suffer any damage if they get blown over. Glass weighs 28 lbs, the other ones weigh 6 lbs. Seems like a good price, but not sure of the quality.

For home use sure, but the problem with glass is if you are camping at the beach or other windy place, glass can be blown over by wind and break the panels. The other ones won't suffer any damage if they get blown over. Glass weighs 28 lbs, the other ones weigh 6 lbs. Seems like a good price, but not sure of the quality.

You've got a good point there! But you pay the price for the convenience,

less production & poor reliability.

2 years, that's it? If true, then yes, not a good deal.
Sometimes they'll last 5yrs , but it's not very likely .

Depends how much you use them really , im sure they'd last forever in locked in cupboard , but out in the sun they don't

$120??
I’m not a fan of not-glass panels but if I wanted portable panels that seems like a price I’d try for. Do it.

One thing to consider with the Xdays is that 200W is spread out wide compared to the glass ones by JJN. If you set these up on grass, you'll need to place a strip of something (long piece of lumber or cardboard, for example) under the panels to keep the grass flattened (especially if tall grass/weeds) so it doesn't provide shading to your panels, cutting down on the output. This is easier to do with tall/skinny panels.

Right, but these are for camping. Will see a lot of moving around, maybe blowing over in wind, etc. Price is right, but if they only last a few years, then maybe no. Others cost 3x as much.

Maybe these are a better way to go. Same price if you get 4. Plus it is a good price. 1 single 200w panel costs around $180 and is way bigger and bulkier to pack. $120 for 4 pcs also 200watts. Less risky for power output also.
Flexible panels seem to have too many issues.

1695827958065.png

Last edited:
Just ordered 4 pcs. Seems like too good of a deal to pass up. Will need to figure out a rack and carrying case and plugs and stuff...
Small enough to lean against car, chairs, etc., w/o too much chance of breaking if the wind blows them over. A 5'tall 200 w panel is a different matter.

Just ordered 4 pcs. Seems like too good of a deal to pass up. Will need to figure out a rack and carrying case and plugs and stuff...
Small enough to lean against car, chairs, etc., w/o too much chance of breaking if the wind blows them over. A 5'tall 200 w panel is a different matter.

Come back if you've got any questions , wiring series/parallel etc

Back