diy solar

diy solar

HomeAssistant - way to alert if RATE of battery drain high?

plympton

I make things and fix stuff
Instead of having alerts for battery going low, or different set-points, I'd like to get an alert if my batteries are draining fast.

For example, if my AC kicks on, and the batteries are draining, and I'm not there, I'd like to get an alert. I might ignore it, but at least I'd know.

My pseudo-code is, if (Battery%_10Mins_ago - Battery%_Now) is, say, > 10. That'd be if my battery dropped 10% in 10 minutes (arbitrary #'s).

Any guidance?

Instead of having alerts for battery going low, or different set-points, I'd like to get an alert if my batteries are draining fast.

For example, if my AC kicks on, and the batteries are draining, and I'm not there, I'd like to get an alert. I might ignore it, but at least I'd know.

My pseudo-code is, if (Battery%_10Mins_ago - Battery%_Now) is, say, > 10. That'd be if my battery dropped 10% in 10 minutes (arbitrary #'s).

Any guidance?
I
Get the idea but have not been down that.

Just have an alert when discharge power exceeds a certain threshold. You may want to have some kind of averaging on that, or for the discharge power to be sustained for a certain number of seconds or minutes to avoid false alerts due to brief surges in demand.

e.g., this send a message to my phone if the battery power is below -3000 W for 2 minutes:

Code:
description: ""
mode: single
trigger:
  - platform: numeric_state
    entity_id:
      - sensor.battery_power
    for:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 2
      seconds: 0
    below: -3000
condition: []
action:
  - device_id: <yourphone's device ID>
    domain: mobile_app
    type: notify

Any guidance?
Id say @wattmatters is spot on with discharge current/power otherwise you would need some form of template/helper with soc used over time to use as a trigger.

diy solar

diy solar
Back