diy solar

diy solar

Homebuilt Solar Suitcase

irv818

Built this based on a rolling equipment case - wheels on bottom, handle pulls up to tow it around, like an airport suitcase.
2000 (3k max) watt pure sine wave inverter with automatic transfer from grid power, a 100 Ah LiFePo battery, Epever MPPT controller.
Cost about the same as an equivalent brand-name solar "generator', but I can fix it, and the parts can be recycled to use in a more
powerful permanent installation in the future. Using 2x100 watt solar panels outside at the moment.
20231004_170520.jpg20231004_170733.jpg
Epever 40 amp MPPT charge controller, Potek 2000 3000 peak watt PSW inverter with transfer switch and bluetooth monitor, Eco-worthy LiFePo4 battery, Airpax 60 amp 24volt DC breaker, Bayite DC Volt/Amp/Power meter with 100 amp shunt, assorted parts.
Bluetooth app allows monitoring battery volts, A/C output volts, turn inverter on/off, etc.

Last edited:
Built this based on a rolling equipment case - wheels on bottom, handle pulls up to tow it around, like an airport suitcase.
2000 (3k max) watt pure sine wave inverter with automatic transfer from grid power, a 100 Ah LiFePo battery, Epever MPPT controller.
Cost about the same as an equivalent brand-name solar "generator', but I can fix it, and the parts can be recycled to use in a more
powerful permanent installation in the future. Using 2x100 watt solar panels outside at the moment.
View attachment 170759
Build details, pics inside and out?

Looks like the inverter is external?
What is the amber display showing? It looks like 408V...

Looks like the inverter is external?
What is the amber display showing? It looks like 408V...
Inverter is mounted on rear of case. Inside would require adding vents and fans, and be a really tight fit.
The display is showing 40.8 volts, which is what the solar panels are supplying, more or less open-circuit.
When the battery is not fully charged, the MPPT controller pulls this voltage down to around 14.7v give or take.
You can disconnect and reconnect the solar, and watch this go up and down as the controller "searches" for the best power point,
which can take 10 - 15 seconds.

Inverter is mounted on rear of case. Inside would require adding vents and fans, and be a really tight fit.
The display is showing 40.8 volts, which is what the solar panels are supplying, more or less open-circuit.
When the battery is not fully charged, the MPPT controller pulls the voltage down to around 14.7v give or take.
Odd...
Where is it sensing voltage? Athens th battery terminals? At the solar inputs?

Mppt controller shouldn't drop 40ish volts to 14ish volts under load, but it SHOULD ALWAYS OUTPUT battery charge voltage...
So, I'm confused as to what the display should be showing.

Meter is hooked across the red and black input jack, reading the voltage on the solar panel cables coming in at the top of the box.
Starts around 40 in sunshine, drops to 14.x within a few seconds if the battery needs topping off, otherwise remains at 40.x more or less, depending upon shade on the panels. The battery itself never rises above 13.6, which according to the battery mfg. is 100%.

Meter is hooked across the red and black input jack, reading the voltage on the solar panel cables coming in at the top of the box.
Starts around 40 in sunshine, drops to 14.x within a few seconds if the battery needs topping off, otherwise remains at 40.x more or less, depending upon shade on the panels. The battery itself never rises above 13.6, which according to the battery mfg. is 100%.
Hmmm.
I have the same charge controller I think, I will have to check it. Being a true MPPT, the PV input voltage should not be affected by battery charging, only by solar irradiance…

Back