diy solar

diy solar

Upgrading solar system

Rich1911

I'm getting ready to upgrade our travel trailer solar. I'm wondering if I will run into any issues if I'm running a 200 watt panel with a 1000 amp inverter and 2 100ah lithium ion phosphate batteries with a 40 amp mppt controller. I will eventually add a second 200 watt panel and upgrade to a 2000 amp inverter. This is a 12 volt system

It depends on what you want to power, also be aware a lot of cheap inverters seem to have rating specifications written by the marketing department which are "aspirational in nature". Just be aware a single 200 watt panel will take a long time to fully charge a pair of depleted 100 ah batteries, on the order of 2 full sunny days. Also a 40 amp MPPT controller is overkill for a single 200 watt panel, in fact it is even a bit of over kill for a pair of 200 watt panels, rule of thumb is 400 watts of solar panels needs a 30 amp controller.

p.s. one thing you don't mention is shore power charging, is your current power converter (charger) compatible with LiFePo4 batteries, not all are

It's 2000 WATT inverter. But no issues with upgrading as long as the cables can handle it. The 2000w inverter likely will use more idle power.

Solar creates power, batteries store power and inverter uses power. You can have any sizes of either it just affects how much time you have. Put as much solar as possible

I have found 120 watts solar per 100Ah of battery works best if you are very conservative in use. With a 2k inverter I suspect you will need more.
As mentioned with lithium batteries you will most likely need a new converter. Also lithium compatible dc to dc for charging from the alternator.

Here are my thoughts on a 1,000 vs 2,000 watt inverter, (assuming quality inverter, not a cheap one that fails to deliver its claimed performance) with a 1,000 watt inverter you will always be asking yourself, will the inverter power this or that, for some stuff like a modern TV, notebook computer, that is an easy yes, for others that draw more power it is often a maybe (food processor, power tools, etc.) by comparison with a 2,000 watt inverter you can reasonably be assured that it can power any 1 appliance that plugs into a standard 120V-15 amp outlet, as by law these devices are limited to 1,500 watts, with some allowance for higher start up inrush. Meaning if it is the only thing plugged in then the 2000 watt inverter should power it.

Here are my thoughts on a 1,000 vs 2,000 watt inverter, (assuming quality inverter, not a cheap one that fails to deliver its claimed performance) with a 1,000 watt inverter you will always be asking yourself, will the inverter power this or that, for some stuff like a modern TV, notebook computer, that is an easy yes, for others that draw more power it is often a maybe (food processor, power tools, etc.) by comparison with a 2,000 watt inverter you can reasonably be assured that it can power any 1 appliance that plugs into a standard 120V-15 amp outlet, as by law these devices are limited to 1,500 watts, with some allowance for higher start up inrush. Meaning if it is the only thing plugged in then the 2000 watt inverter should power it.
This is spot on, except a 15amp plug can provide 1875watts max at 125v and at 120v it can provide 1800watts. You see this with hair dryers, microwaves and other high power devices. Per CEC they can provide this power for up to 3 hours continuously. A breaker typically shouldn't blow more than 3-5amps above the rated depending on time.

2000w inverter should be able to handle any normal 15a device where 1000w inverter would only be good in certain use cases for very small appliances as even ones that use 500w can pull over 1000w at times because its using cabling rated for 15a so its expected.

True, but in the US the NEC requires an 80% derate of capacity, limiting appliances to about 1,500 watts maximum actual power draw. This is usually seen as a max amp rating of 12.5 amps for appliances, and some slight variation on wattage depending on line voltage ie 115, 120 or 125 VAC

Whats the question exactly?
No, charging with some solar will not cause any problems at all. You're just adding a charging source, no issues there.
Ask a better question.

I assume a 1,000 watt inverter not 1,000amp obviously, and the stuff you run off the battery doesn't matter for the stuff you charge the battery with. The same issue for everyone applies to you, your battery will lose charge as you use it. Have enough battery, have a way to charge it back to meet your individual needs.

Be sure and put a good Shunt based battery monitor- like a Victron Smartshunt or BMV712 (there are others), in your system. That way when you are using more power than you are generating you will know it.

Also, 400w of solar power will probably be limiting, if possible plan for 600w. Yep 600w of solar on the trailers roof will be tricky to make work.

You lose a lot of power by being flat - and clouds make that even worse.

Back