diy solar

diy solar

Hooking up combiner box

grebaba

i was going to install my MS combiner box today but I have a question.
I have the EG4-3000 with a 450 V rating.
I bought 6 150V MS breakers.
Do I need to order a 450V breaker to use with the EG4.
Right now I have 390-to-405V going on that string.
Greg

Assuming your strings are less than 150V then you would then go from the combiner bus bar to your eg4 PV input. the breakers are to protect other strings from dumping into others. Be sure you don't exceed mppt limits and take low temps into account.

So I guess I will have to order a 450v breaker so I can still run that string of 12 panels.
The other 2 strings of 4 panels will be fine at 150V as they will both be run in parallel.
Thanks
Greg

It's a single string? No need for a breaker there, can go straight to the eg4 it should have rotary PV disconnect switch. Which combiner box is it and how is it configured?

No breaker needed for two strings combined either but I like the disconnect and quality.

Midnight solar 6 space box.
I have the PV disconnects on each string.
Not installed yet.
I am looking at the 247 watts combiner box so I can run several strings into it and have the ability to run my other CC's with the out's.
I want to run 5000 watts to the EG4-3000 and run another 5000 watts to my 2 other systems until I can afford the Victron system and combine it into all one battery bank and one system.
Thanks
Greg

Midnight solar 6 space box.
I have the PV disconnects on each string.
Not installed yet.
I am looking at the 247 watts combiner box so I can run several strings into it and have the ability to run my other CC's with the out's.
I want to run 5000 watts to the EG4-3000 and run another 5000 watts to my 2 other systems until I can afford the Victron system and combine it into all one battery bank and one system.
Thanks
Greg
You can split the bus bar on the mnpv6, there's notches where you cut, giving you the ability to run two controllers (keep the negatives seperate), three breakers/strings per controller.

Thanks, that helps.
I was thinking of just running 6 panels in series to a Stellavolta 300v breaker I just ordered that will give me 240 volts on that string, and then 6 panels parallel to a 150v breaker, and then 8 panel's in parallel to 2 other breaker's to give me the 5000w max for the EG4-3000. I will be over paneled by about 120 watts so should be OK.
My panels are in different locations because of the sun.
Greg

diy solar

diy solar
Back