diy solar

diy solar

Hookup Renogy boost converter w/48V portable eg4 3kw off grid

geowtx

Having just built the portable eg4 3kw / eg4 48v battery system in a recent diy solar video I have a question about hookup of the renogy rover boost. I will be using the renogy 12v 200w suitcase panels. I am hesitant to connect without a better idea as to how I would interconnect and setup the rover boost. I am using the eg4 48v LL battery.

tia Geo

I'd like visibility on OP's question too. I am going to build a first time portable system for backup power using an EG43000 All-in-one. Next step would be to use panels to charge it. I'd like to use smaller panel that would not amount to the minimum 120v input needed to begin charging. I am curious how we can use the booster. All resources I've seen look to connect panels to the battery. What do we do to get the all-in-one to charge the battery? Are you after the same info?

Yes sir. I would like to charge from smaller 100w panels from my rv with the caveat of being able to charge from ac house power. My research has left me hanging on the need of settings and or protocols for the renogy boost charger and settings for the LL battery. I was assuming that I would have to connect it to the LL battery but wanting to charge from to different sources means having to change settings and protocols. I have reached out to Signature Solar where I purchased and they suggested I go thru their design dept. as they would be able to research protocols and then provide a diagram of their design. Fingers crossed.

I just got off the phone with Renogy support. With their help I have tested and all is working well! I attached the output of the boost charger directly to the LL battery as expected, turned the battery on and set the charger's battery type to the purple led (48V LFP 15 strings) per instruction manual. I was then able to verify charging voltage was set properly using the renogy dc Home app. I was almost able to top the battery off but ran out of direct sunlight. I'm sure it will charge faster with the appropriate panels but this will work for the rv and quiet emergency power for the house. I'll finish tomorrow.

I just got off the phone with Renogy support. With their help I have tested and all is working well! I attached the output of the boost charger directly to the LL battery as expected, turned the battery on and set the charger's battery type to the purple led (48V LFP 15 strings) per instruction manual. I was then able to verify charging voltage was set properly using the renogy dc Home app. I was almost able to top the battery off but ran out of direct sunlight. I'm sure it will charge faster with the appropriate panels but this will work for the rv and quiet emergency power for the house. I'll finish tomorrow.
Thanks for sharing your research!

I had a follow-up question (I haven't received my order yet, so can't visualize it). The rover is attached directly to the battery, got it. Can you use your EG4 inverter while charging or do you need to reattach the inverter when the rover is done charging? Maybe you can attach the rover and inverter at the same time? Thanks!

Hello, just joined and what to clarify the above posts. I will be building my cart soon using the EG4-3K and a 48volt EG4 standard battery (non-LL). The OP was able to connect the Renogy 10a Boost mppt and the EG4 3K on to the same terminals and charge the battery from both inputs? Can this all be left hooked up and mounted while using or only setup this way to charge? In the Golf cart video Will posted, it looks like he has it all laid out as mentioned above.

Should I change the All-in-one to a different brand that allows smaller solar input voltages, say the Growatt?
I did get the Renogy Boost for only $120.00 from Amazon so unless the Growatt or other AIO is within 100 dollars of the EG4-3K which I got for $550.00 than the boost makes since.

Back