diy solar

diy solar

Hoping to add panels to my SolarEdge system myself

eecsflyer

I have a 3.6kW system with a SOLAREDGE SE3000A-US inverter and 14 Canadian solar 255W panels and P300 SolarEdge optimizers. My understanding is I can add up to 25 panels in one string, so figure I should be OK to add four more panels. My system rarely hits 2.1kW in August (1.6kW in Dec), so figure adding another kW will barely put me above 3kW some of the days and from what I understand it is actually better to oversize your array

My understanding is that SolarEdge optimizers can account for different size solar panels in a similar fashion to how they adjust for shading of some panels, so I can buy slightly more powerful panels and add them. Based on this video it seems you can just hold down the button on your inverter and it will rescan the string for optimizers,

Of course, I knew nothing before I read over my last PG&E bill and started researching last week. Would it be a dumb idea to basically disconnect two of my panels and patch in four panels in series in between them? Do I risk breaking my current system or voiding warranties? Anybody try adding panels to an existing system DIY?

Back