diy solar

diy solar

How are you supposed to parallel Rack mounted units without a rack?

mega5

I'm looking at putting two 200a 24v EG4 in parallel without a rack for 400a. These are rated for 100a discharge each, so max discharge would be 200a.

The problem is I am not planning on using a rack (sort of diy wall mounting them vertically) & tthe documentation has a warning about daisy chaining these without a [rack] bus bar as it can overload the jumper at the end. What I think they mean by this is yeah, don't have 10 batteries in parallel with all the current flowing through a single battery's 6awg jumper which was designed to connect to a bus bar.

With many in parallel, I can see this being an issue, but for two units in parallel, I'm wondering if I could get away without a bus bar by doubling up 4 AWG wire for each connection (each terminal has two posts). Making sure the lengths are equal obviously, and being sure to connect the opposite battery's "+" and "-" to the distro block so the load is even. 4 AWG ampacity is something like 95a so doubled up its about the max discharge of 200 amps. (And 2awg is also possible on the M6 lugs.)

Does that sound reasonable or do I have to fabricate a bus bar?

Edit: Signature solar seemed to sign off on my plan of using doubled up 2 or 4awg wire in lieu of a bus bar, so I guess you don't have to use a bus bar but I suppose it still might be more optimal for getting equal resistance.

Last edited:
Signature solar seemed to sign off on my plan of using doubled up 2 or 4awg wire in lieu of a bus bar, so I guess you don't have to use a bus bar but I suppose it still might be more optimal for getting equal resistance.
Personally, I like busbars with the batteries fused appropriately. Once that you hit the busbar aux charging, SCC output, DC service loads, whatever are easily discernible and switchable in a clear manner.
I also would use 1/0 or 1ga for 100A from your 200Ah batteries.

Back