diy solar

diy solar

How can I reduce charge voltage below 25.6v on a 24v Victron Blue Smart Charger?

SteveDeFacto

Trying to add additional charging current to my Quattro-II. Decided a IP22 BSC 24-Volt 16amp should be sufficient. I purchased it and wired it into my system but realized the charging voltage was way too high as my batteries are only supposed to be charged to a max of 24.4v.

However, unlike my Quattro-II which can be set as low as 19v, the BSC can't output a charging voltage below 25.6v. There doesn't appear to be anyway to set it to a lower voltage.

I am considering purchasing a Victron Phoenix instead since it appears to support VE.Bus, I'm thinking it will let me configure it using VE.Config which let me set a lower voltage on my Quattro-II. However, this is just speculation and I need confirmation from someone who has used a Phoenix.

Anyway, how can I charge my batteries at a lower voltage using a BSC and if not possible, will a Phoenix charger work instead?

Last edited:
What is your float voltage set at? It could be preventing you from charging below it's setting.
What battery are you using that wants a max charging voltage so low?
No, I cannot set any voltage below 25.6v including float.

It's a 6s tesla battery module.

Last edited:
Trying to add additional charging current to my Quattro-II. Decided a IP22 BSC 24-Volt 16amp should be sufficient. I purchased it and wired it into my system but realized the charging voltage was way too high as my batteries are only supposed to be charged to a max of 24.4v.

However, unlike my Quattro-II which can be set as low as 19v, the BSC can't output a charging voltage below 25.6v. There doesn't appear to be anyway to set it to a lower voltage.

I am considering purchasing a Victron Phoenix instead since it appears to support VE.Bus, I'm thinking it will let me configure it using VE.Config which let me set a lower voltage on my Quattro-II. However, this is just speculation and I need confirmation from someone who has used a Phoenix.

Anyway, how can I charge my batteries at a lower voltage using a BSC and if not possible, will a Phoenix charger work instead?
Need to check Advanced settings, custom, then Advanced battery settings.

Screenshot_20240609_193543.jpg
Screenshot_20240609_193625.jpg

Screenshot_20240609_193641.jpg

I did exactly that! Try to set the voltage below 25.6v and it won't let you...
Oh I'm sorry, yeah can't go below that as a charger. But your Quattro can charge at 70A? Would an additional 16A be worth it?

If you switch it to power supply mode should be able to drop it to 24V.

Phoenix is just inversion, no charging.Screenshot_20240609_195254.jpg

Oh I'm sorry, yeah can't go below that as a charger. But your Quattro can charge at 70A? Would an additional 16A be worth it?

If you switch it to power supply mode should be able to drop it to 24V.

Phoenix is just inversion, no charging.View attachment 220967
Actually, the Quattro-II can only charge at 60amps/24v which is 1440w. I have a 5kw diesel generator which will fall victim to wet stacking if I run it at such a low draw. So the 16amps absolutely worth it.

I am not referring to the Phoenix Inverter rather the Phoenix Smart Charger: https://a.co/d/hlrHfRK

Actually, the Quattro-II can only charge at 60amps/24v which is 1440w. I have a 5kw diesel generator which will fall victim to wet stacking if I run it at such a low draw. So the 16amps absolutely worth it.

I am not referring to the Phoenix Inverter rather the Phoenix Smart Charger: https://a.co/d/hlrHfRK
The demo library for the ip43 allows a minimum of 18V for the 24V model so looks like that should work for you.

Screenshot_20240609_202236.jpg

I know there's some meanwells which are passively cooled for 48V charging, @Zwy got any recommends for 24V with voltage setpoints low enough for 6S packs?

That’s a pricey charger. What’s the price difference for a second Quattro lol?

The demo library for the ip43 allows a minimum of 18V for the 24V model so looks like that should work for you.

View attachment 220971
The demo libraries don't appear to function like the actual device. I tried the IP22 library and it let's me edit the preset with whatever voltages I want:

Screenshot_20240609_182929.jpg

However, when I goto apply this preset on the actual device, little spinners popup beside each setting that turn into a green checkmark. When that happens the settings change to 25.6v for all voltage settings:

Screenshot_20240609_182900.jpg

The demo libraries don't appear to function like the actual device. I tried the IP22 library and it let's me edit the preset with whatever voltages I want:

View attachment 220977

However, when I goto apply this preset on the actual device, little spinners popup beside each setting that turn into a green checkmark. When that happens the settings change to 25.6v for all voltage settings:

View attachment 220978
In the demo library just choose user defined instead of custom.

It won't let you enter anything lower than than 25.60.

the ip43 allows 18V. But best to have confirmation.

Screenshot_20240609_215341.jpg

Ahh always with excuses!! lol, jk, I was just taken back by the price of the stand alone charger.
You think those are expensive take a look at the bigger Skylla chargers, these ones are euro only, versus the smart ip43 which is multi voltage.

In the demo library just choose user defined instead of custom.

It won't let you enter anything lower than than 25.60.

the ip43 allows 18V. But best to have confirmation.

View attachment 220982

I don't think the IP43 demo is right either. In User defined mode it lets me set the float voltage to 1.0v but the Absorption and Storage voltages won't go lower that 25.6v.

IP22: Demo library won't let me set below 25.6.

Have you tried power supply mode? It allowed me to set voltage as low as 24.0V.

With NCM/NCA, absorption is effectively meaningless. Only a float voltage is needed as current will drop to zero.

diy solar

diy solar
Back