diy solar

diy solar

How can I run 6 security cameras using solar power?

matt323

Would this Renogy Kit that I purchased 5 years ago brand new (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BCRG22A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1) be a start? Came with 2 100 watt solar panels, wires and a charge controller. The cameras I would like to run are the Wyze Cam v3 (https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Indoo...+v3&qid=1647481214&sprefix=wiz,aps,151&sr=8-3) which are 5watts / 1 amp each. 6 wyze cameras = 30 watts x 24 hours = 720 watts total.

Im not that great on math. Forgive me I'm new and eager to learn how to run solar powered security cameras so I can watch my front yard, the neighborhood here in Los Angeles is not that great now a days LOL. Thank you for your time!

Easy enough. All you would need is a battery and some sort of 12V to 5V converter.
What type of battery... you can use just about anything for that sort of power.
What type of converter... depends on how you plan to deploy the things. Rain, sleet, snow and ice probably being the main concern :·)
-

6 5W cameras for 24 hours is 720Wh (watt hours). You need a battery to power the cameras and then the solar can be used to recharge the battery.

720Wh would be a 60Ah 12V battery. But since you can only use 50% of a lead acid battery you would need twice that, or 120Ah. This would be the absolute minimum. If you need to handle a day or two with little sun for the solar then you might need to double or trip that amount of battery. Or you could charge the battery via AC when there isn't enough solar. Then you wouldn't need extra battery. If you used a LiFePO₄ battery then you can easily use 80% or more so you would need about 75Ah. 100Ah 12V LiFePO₄ batteries are a common size.

As for solar, 720Wh using 2 100W panels would require almost 4 hours of good solar conditions each day to recharge the battery. That assumes you can actually get the full 200W out of the panels. That's not likely so you might need more like 5 hours of good sun if you can mount the panels at the ideal angle facing south. 5 hours of good sun is reasonable in the summer but not the winter. For the winter you will need the help of a battery charger you can plug in or you will need at least 2 more 100W solar panels. The same battery charger can be used for cloudy/rainy days in the summer.

6 5W cameras for 24 hours is 720Wh (watt hours). You need a battery to power the cameras and then the solar can be used to recharge the battery.

720Wh would be a 60Ah 12V battery. But since you can only use 50% of a lead acid battery you would need twice that, or 120Ah. This would be the absolute minimum. If you need to handle a day or two with little sun for the solar then you might need to double or trip that amount of battery. Or you could charge the battery via AC when there isn't enough solar. Then you wouldn't need extra battery. If you used a LiFePO₄ battery then you can easily use 80% or more so you would need about 75Ah. 100Ah 12V LiFePO₄ batteries are a common size.

As for solar, 720Wh using 2 100W panels would require almost 4 hours of good solar conditions each day to recharge the battery. That assumes you can actually get the full 200W out of the panels. That's not likely so you might need more like 5 hours of good sun if you can mount the panels at the ideal angle facing south. 5 hours of good sun is reasonable in the summer but not the winter. For the winter you will need the help of a battery charger you can plug in or you will need at least 2 more 100W solar panels. The same battery charger can be used for cloudy/rainy days in the summer.
Thank you for your response. I appreciate the information. Would you recommend a 1000, 2000, or 3000 watt inverter (https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Inver...ller/dp/B096MKPQ1M?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1)

Also would you consider this Renogy Deep Cycle AGM Battery 12 Volt 100Ah
( https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Self-...nance-Free/dp/B075RFXHYK?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1 )

Or Ampere Time LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery 12V 100AH
( https://www.amazon.com/Ampere-Time-Phosphate-Overland-Off-Grid/dp/B08K7HZ6KZ )

Thank you

Easy enough. All you would need is a battery and some sort of 12V to 5V converter.
What type of battery... you can use just about anything for that sort of power.
What type of converter... depends on how you plan to deploy the things. Rain, sleet, snow and ice probably being the main concern :·)
-
Thanks for your supply, it's mainly sunny here in Los Angeles. Would you recommend a Lead, AGM, or LiFePO4 or a GEL Battery?
Also I plan to use a Inverter to plug in the cameras. What kind of inverter would you recommend? Thanks!

Would you recommend a 1000, 2000, or 3000 watt inverter
I would recommend that you do not use an inverter at all. The cameras require DC power. It will be a lot more efficient if you do not converter DC (battery) to AC (via inverter) and back to DC (via camera power brick).

As for batteries, the 100Ah AGM is too small to power the cameras for a day. You need a minimum of 120Ah with an AGM battery.

I would recommend that you do not use an inverter at all. The cameras require DC power. It will be a lot more efficient if you do not converter DC (battery) to AC (via inverter) and back to DC (via camera power brick).

As for batteries, the 100Ah AGM is too small to power the cameras for a day. You need a minimum of 120Ah with an AGM battery.
How would I connect that cameras to the battery without an inverter? Would I have to use an adapter of some sort?

How would I connect that cameras to the battery without an inverter? Would I have to use an adapter of some sort?
Most likely the cameras have an adapter for plugging into a car. You can easily modify such an adapter to wire directly to the battery with a fuse.

More something like this:

Screenshot_0317_070047.png
When I said "how you want to deploy them", I meant, the 5V (USB) cable can't really be very long, the 12V one can.
You definitely don't need an inverter.

As to battery, LiFePO4 is obviously best, but lead-acid will do.
I wouldn't consider 24 hours storage, you probably get 8 hours usable sun there by now, if it rains for a while, a car battery charger will do to top the battery up. Easy with lead-acid, slightly less with lithium.
-

Nice. Total George Lucas design :·)
Not cheap, but hey. I guess if you're Harrison Ford, they'd be your choice View attachment 87692
-
Lol
I didn't think of them that way but now I like them even more!
I've had a pair for a few years. No complaints, and no wiring needed. Only time I had to plug them in was initial battery charging. Comes with 6x 18650 batteries.
Waterproof, PTZ, HD, good battery capacity.

If you're with the Empire, you could use this one
410VbauH5EL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

I realize this is not exactly what you are looking for, but it may be worth checking out. $15/mo. Not bad and an extraordinary warranty.

I just wanted to add this converter to the options also. I use these for one of my cameras.
I actually like the option of just using a 12volt car charger like someone posted. Those usually have just the right voltage. Some cameras and devices will say a message like use the included AC charger. They want the voltage and amperage to be almost exactly what the supplied charger is. My Arlos started giving those messages after a month for some wierd reason.
And my Samsung charger only works when using a lead acid or AGM not a LI. Very wierd and have figured out why that matters. They are not picky on input voltage.
Tecreddy 2-Pack 12V 24V DC to Dual 5V USB Female DC Converter Adapter Step-Down Buck Module https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B2Y71F7/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_16N359TK7PMAQNP4HJ6R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have Wyze V3's and have powered them from my Jackery 240 and 500 using the USB ports. The Jackery has to be protected from the elements.

I also have Wyze Outdoor cams and Wyze solar panels. They are IP65 rated, so both can be left in the elements. Fully charge the Outdoor cam battery then plug in the solar panel. Even with cloud cover for several days, the Outdoor cam does not drop below 80%. It charges back up to 100% after a few days of full sun.

The solar panels are $19.99 plus tax and shipping. You will need to buy an Outdoor Cam starter kit because you need a transmitter for every four cameras. If you want to run 6 cameras, you will need two starter kits.

Check Home Depot for discounted Wyze products. Apparently they blow them out at huge discounts.

https://www.wyze.com/products/wyze-cam-outdoor

https://www.wyze.com/products/wyze-solar-panel?_pos=1&_psq=solar+panel&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Back